MMR 5.0 Stroker - Yes or No??

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Hey all, I hurt my motor not too long ago and I'm thinking about buying the MMR Stroker Street Mod 950, .020 over bore, and doing a complete rebuild on the heads with Comp Cams Stage III cams. My question is this: Is the Stroker really going to be worth my money? I'm already going to have to replace pistons so I'm asking for opinions on whether I should go with the stroker or just keep the stock crank and rods and do the .020 over with some good pistons?? What are some good and bad points about doing the stroker kit? I've read about the HP and TQ gains but are there any downsides that I should be really concerned with? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Jason

red9450

Established Member
seems like with the right work, it can be worth it. norm seems like 40/40 hp/tq.

03cobramanIII

Banned
the stroker would be best , but cost more , yes more hp and tq with a stroker,
but if you blocks good, crank, and rods, why not use them ? it is if moneys tight , if not stroke it! i dont think cams are a great idea? jmo. these stock blocks/cams can run in the 9s with no juice. if you can make it hook.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Well I'm pretty sure the block, crank, and rods are all still good because the car still runs and drives, but it sounds like shit. I'm gonna check some things on the top end of the motor and do a compression check and a leak down before I go tearing it apart. I'm just looking for some opinions on the ups and downs of doing a stroker kit IF I have to rebuild it. Even if it's just a hurt piston and the crank and rods are good, I'm thinking about doing a stroker kit just to get the added cubes. Oh yeah, and I'm doing cams because I love the way a cammed out 4V sounds....

Give me some more input people. Let me know what you think!!! Thanks...

Jason

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I know Im not a 4.6, but I went with MMR. A friend of mines is running their shortblock and loves it. Did some more research and you mustang guys swear by them, or at least alot of you. I'll let you know how it goes when my longblock gets here next week. Oh and their customer service, top notch. Very nice people.

03cobramanIII

Banned
you could just get the 5.0 mod block the just came out with , and use all you int. like crank and rods , and get the best pistons possible shoot for 8.to1 or 8.5to1 at the most.
you will have 302 cubes, now if you stroke that will will have more, more cubes = more hp and tq, it's all in the $$$. youre willing to spend.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
True, true. Not really looking to buy the entire short block, or a new Boss block or anything like that. As a matter of fact, I'm just looking at picking up the stroker KIT from MMR and assembling the whole thing myself. I'll just use my stock 03 block (assuming it's not hurt internally) and get a .020 over bore, then buy the stroker kit with the pistons to match. After all, the MMR Stroker Street Mod 950 short block comes with a new 04 Cobra block, same block I have. I'm still looking to keep the 8.0 or 8.5:1 compression ratio because I'm still gonna push a lot of boost through it.

BTW FleeMan, thanks for the input. I was curious about MMR's customer service also. I'm glad to hear they're really good to work with. Let me know how your new motor works for you. I'll let everyone know what happens with my car when I find out how hurt it really is.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
No problem man. If you do purchase a motor with them. Be ready for a wait. Ive had to wait a month because they have been swamped with orders. Not that Im complaining, its just how it is.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I was stuck with the same choice.
I rebuilt my motor with the stock block, crank and rods.
Bought Diamond pistons instead.
Don't forget to factor in some of the upgrades as well, ARP hardware, etc.

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you i went with the mmr stroker. they say average 40+ flb of tq.its not in yet so i couldnt tell you about how quality/reliability.I havent heard anything bad about them

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I might be in the same boat too. I can get a deal on the MMR stuff so I am thinking of going that route, that is if I need to. Right now we are still working on figuring out what the problem is because the car still pulls hard it just has a strange nosie.

Here is a thread with the video that I took showing the noise outside and inside the car.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463897

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
I was stuck with the same choice.
I rebuilt my motor with the stock block, crank and rods.
Bought Diamond pistons instead.
Don't forget to factor in some of the upgrades as well, ARP hardware, etc.

ive heard great things about MMR. i think this ^^^^^ is exactly what im going to do when i do my motor. it would be nice to have a lighter block though.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
ive heard great things about MMR. i think this ^^^^^ is exactly what im going to do when i do my motor. it would be nice to have a lighter block though.

You could always go with fords new aluminator. I have been looking at that option too since it comes with new heads.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I think the aluminator is still only rated for up to about 700hp.
If you want a lighter block do a teksid, I wanted to but I didn't want to spend the money buying one and doing all the machining on it, plus a lot of the hardware for it is more than a iron block.
With the extra money I did cams, valve springs, I have a ported and polished 01 Cobra lower intake, etc.
Can't go wrong with which way to go, just comes down to $$$'s.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Yeah I've read all about the Aluminator, the VT aluminum block swap, the new Boss block, and even the new Cleveland block (?), but they're all WAY out of the price range I'm looking to spend, especially on JUST the block. I'm thinking of doing the MMR Kit because it will give me the added cubes but it's not a real radical stroker kit (only adds about a 1/4 inch to the stroke). It will still be able to rev high, especially with the cams thrown in, and will give the added HP and TQ a stroker should. Now it's time to figure out exactly what happened to my motor and possibly start saving up some cash....

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Now it's time to figure out exactly what happened to my motor and possibly start saving up some cash....

Saving money? Thats what credit cards are for bro, lol. Seriously though I put half credit/half cash. That way I could pay off the credit card quicker and not destroy my bank account. I tried to save up so I could pay it in cash, but everytime I got close to pulling the trigger, something came up and I couldnt do it. This way, I pretty much forced myself to buy it.

svtcobraiceland

Established Member
Go for the MMR stroker kit you get more, every HP/TQ cost and higher that you get, the
more will it cost, more cub are better, i bought MOD950 Longblock.
MMR's customer service is 100% Talk to Chis, he is the best guy ever,
he has helped me so much, and i live in Iceland so go figure.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Well the Stroker Street Mod 950 is what I want. The stroker KIT is 2200 bucks, and the short block is 3300 bucks. The only thing that is included in the short block that the kit doesn't have is the new 04 Cobra block. The kit has EVERYTHING in it except the block. I figure if my block is still good, which it would have to be seeing how the car still runs, I'll just bore it .020 over and get the pistons to match when I order the kit. I'm not going to mess with the long block because I'll just have my heads reworked and put some beefy cams in them.

Users who are viewing this thread