MM sub frame connector question

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
What's up guys. Haven't posted in a while. I have been living the navy dream floating in the middle of the ocean the last few months. Woo hoo. Anyway. I am going to finally buy some sub frame connectors and I was wondering if the MM xl series sub frame connectors will be fine on my '99 cobra vert. If so than the purchase will be made. Thanks.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
wma8706 said:
+1.....MM full length subs.......YES!!!!
Would not have it any other way....unless of course, one was to opt for the Griggs thru the floor version. ;-)
But yeah, MM full lengths will greatly suffice.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
ex-PJs snake said:
Would not have it any other way....unless of course, one was to opt for the Griggs thru the floor version. ;-)
But yeah, MM full lengths will greatly suffice.

You had to mention Griggs, didn't you.............

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
The MM frame connectors are good pieces and I have installed a few of them, but on a convertible, the Griggs racing full frame kit would be a better choice.

Yes, but entirely unnecessary and overkill for a street car. He will be fine with the MM pieces and the extra $500+ in installation costs in his pocket.

BadaBing

Let's take a look....
Established Member
The MM Full Lengths make a huge difference. Don't think twice, buy them.

stangkid

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
Yes, but entirely unnecessary and overkill for a street car. He will be fine with the MM pieces and the extra $500+ in installation costs in his pocket.

+1

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It doesnt matter the brand if you don't preload the subframe connector as your welding them inplace. If this isnt done it's just hanging excess weight underneath the car with very little structural benefits.

I have the little known, less often used but still very effective Spintech stepped FLSFCs underneath my '99 Cobra. Went this route so I can someday run side exhaust. I took a chance on them but theyre a great peice that was installed correctly, with them I can jack up either side of the car in the middle of the SFC and both doors opens freely. Like I said it all comes down to proper installation.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
+1

With the MM pieces on my 99 I can jack the car from any location and the doors open properly...nice to not have twist.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
anyone have a good source for ordering the MMFLSFCs? i live in cali so if i buy from MM i have to pay sales tax AND shipping, and i can't fid any on ebay - anyone have a good vendor?

Thanks!

Eric

coreseller

Established Member
Dumb question....What exactly is preloading? I have a set that will be welded on soon.....Mark.

QUOTE=99COBRA2881]It doesnt matter the brand if you don't preload the subframe connector as your welding them inplace. If this isnt done it's just hanging excess weight underneath the car with very little structural benefits.

I have the little known, less often used but still very effective Spintech stepped FLSFCs underneath my '99 Cobra. Went this route so I can someday run side exhaust. I took a chance on them but theyre a great peice that was installed correctly, with them I can jack up either side of the car in the middle of the SFC and both doors opens freely. Like I said it all comes down to proper installation.

2881[/QUOTE]

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
coreseller said:
Dumb question....What exactly is preloading? I have a set that will be welded on soon.....Mark.

When the sub-frames are installed, the suspension must have the full load of the car placed on it. Otherwise you're actually welding twist IN TO the car.

This means that welding in SFC's isn't exactly something you can do on your back with the car on jack stands.

It all but requires a drive on lift.

Your best bet is to have a muffler shop weld them on.

RoyWoods

Established Member

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Having wieght on all four tires loads the suspension, thats not what preloading the subframe connector is....

I thought it was in with MMs instructions, I looked and it wasnt so it must've been the Steeda instrcutions. My brother has welded up four sets of sfcs on Mustangs with my help. He's the better welder.

To preload the subframe connector (sfc) you need to position it in place underneath the car then place a jack in the middle of the sfc, next slowly raise the sfc with the jack until you see the car start to raise, if done correctly youll see the sfc bow upwards just slightly in the middle, stop jacking and weld the ends of the sfc in place. This places an upwards pushing preload from the SFC instead of it just hanging underneath the car.

Like I said this was in with the instructions for one set of sfc's that we welded up. It made sense to us, so every set has been done like this.

Edited to reply to type911s question.
type911 said:
Do you have to lift the carpet to prevent it from burning when welding?
Not as long as the welder just welds in short sections and moves around, heat wont build up and the carpet wont catch fire, alittle smell inside the car like something got hot is normal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread