MM Service Bulletin

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
As a public service announcement to all who have MM rear coilovers and purchased through a reseller or used:

I received a mailing from Maximum Motorsports that affects parts MMCO-4 and COP-4. The subject is rear suspension noise with OEM Ford Cobra Bistein shocks.

"Do NOT reuse the OEM 2003-2004 Cobra Bilstein upper rubber isolator when installing a MM rear coil over kit. The stock isolator is shorter and softer ... upper isolater cannot be correctly preloaded."

"...can cause clunking sound from rear shock tower area ... and cause damage to the upper aluminum socket ... and damage to the circlip."

"Replace with MMSM-10 (Installation kit) $9.95"

03RedCobra

Established Member
That is the EXACT problem that I had with the MM Coilovers that were installed in my Cobra !!!

I called the guy that installed them and told him that there was A LOT of clunking noise coming from the rear-end and it was not just when I went over big bumps, it was when I went over ANY imperfection in the road. He had me bring it in and he heard it right away and said there was something not right. Turns out that this situation you describe was what was wrong with the coilovers !!

Bad thing is that I am now hearing almost the same thing coming from the Front Right Coilover !! I'm going to have to call him on Monday to have him check with MM to see if this is also a problem on the front struts.

By the way, the installation of this quick fix took the clunking Completely away !! Hopefully the front is the same problem so that it can be taken care of.

Apparently, it's only a problem with the 03-04 Cobra Bilsteins. I'm wishing now that I had just upgraded the shocks/struts to the 2000-R's. But, neither I nor the installer knew of this beforehand.

03RedCobra

Established Member
This thread should be made into a sticky, because it's quite an important bit of information !! It's just a bit shy of a recall in my opinion !!

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Another Service Bulletin!

Received this today:

Applies to MM rear coilover kits (MMCO-4, MMCO-7, COP-4, COP-7).

The shock bushings have been reformulated as the LCA movement can cause the bushing to distort.

Contact MM for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread