MM LCA's and panhard bar

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Isn't using MM's LCA and panhard bar basically a 5-link set up?

Is there really much improvement as far as driver feel and control with this set up? I mean the UCA's are still there. The point of the Panhard bar is to control the lateral axle movement before the UCA's try to, so the UCA's can focus on preventing axle wind up and not bind, right? At the same time the Panhard bar will lower the roll center?

If the Panhard bar can do this why replace the factory LCA's at all?

I've read that beyond springs and dampners, it's a waste of time to try to improve the stock 4-link. But maybe that applies more to a full track car more than a daily driver/open track car?

I'm wondering if some worthwhile improvments can be made to the 4-links major shortcomings without going all out and going to 3 link or other system.

9746C

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I've read that beyond springs and dampners, it's a waste of time to try to improve the stock 4-link. But maybe that applies more to a full track car more than a daily driver/open track car?
Don't know where you read that but they don't know what they're talking about. Why would MM, Steeda, & Griggs spent time developing aftermarkets parts that sell so well for both competition and street use? I have Steeda's aluminum LCAs and MM's panhard bar (I highly recommend MM's LCAs, but I didn't know of them three years ago when I bought mine). The reason you need aftermarket LCAs is to prevent wheel hop, both on acceleration and on quick hard stops. The stock rubber bushings allow the axle to move too much. As for the panhard bar, you mainly need to leave the UCAs in to hold the axle in place, i.e. to maintain proper pinion angle. If you get a torque arm you don't need them. However do not get UCAs with poly bushings along with a panhard bar. That will create unpredictable axle bind.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Don't know where you read that but they don't know what they're talking about. Why would MM, Steeda, & Griggs spent time developing aftermarkets parts that sell so well for both competition and street use? I have Steeda's aluminum LCAs and MM's panhard bar (I highly recommend MM's LCAs, but I didn't know of them three years ago when I bought mine). The reason you need aftermarket LCAs is to prevent wheel hop, both on acceleration and on quick hard stops. The stock rubber bushings allow the axle to move too much. As for the panhard bar, you mainly need to leave the UCAs in to hold the axle in place, i.e. to maintain proper pinion angle. If you get a torque arm you don't need them. However do not get UCAs with poly bushings along with a panhard bar. That will create unpredictable axle bind.

Yes if I got a Panhard bar I'd leave the UCA's.

As for the LCA's preventing wheel hop on accelleration and braking, I don't have these symptoms now (maybe I would more if I used a race tire?) so why change the LCA's just because I added a Panhard bar?

Users who are viewing this thread