MM full length subs installed, impressions on a Vert

01vert

Established Member
Best thing I ever did to the car (not that I have done much) Cowl shake over rough roads is gone, annoying squeak in dash over bumps is gone. Car actually doesnt seem to "twist" in the middle over anything rough.

This should be the first mod any convertible owner does, amazing change in the car.

A very rough stretch of road at my work used to be a squeak, groan and flop around nightmare. Now the car seems like it acts as a solid piece of metal, not like some cheap plastic toboggan.

Just had to share this for anyone looking into these. :banana:

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
I just picked up a set a few days ago im excited after reading your review!!:rockon:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
01vert said:
This should be the first mod any convertible owner does, amazing change in the car.
This should be the first mod any late model Mustang owner does. The improvement is very noticeable in the coupes too. :thumbsup:

yeller1

Established Member
Kool...I've got the same ones but haven't had the chance to have them installed. I'm assuming they did load the chassis before welding? The reason I ask is because of the post just prior about the shake even after the install.

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
Do you have to install these with full weight on vehicle ie:eek:n an alignment rack?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
you have to install them on a drive-on lift, similar to an alignment rack yes. Just to make sure the stresses on the chassis are the same as when the car is on the ground

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I saw this post so I'm going to give my opinion. On a convertible you need more than just the MMFLSC's! I know my car is heavier than your cars but with the MMFLSC's on a 4 point lift if you open the door you'll see the car is still a noodle! I have them on mine and couldn't believe how much flex the car still had after the install. Now I need to go back and add some more bracing. Don't get me wrong they help but like I said on the lift they are still a freakin noodle. So if you can afford it look into something better that offers more stability.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
posi said:
I saw this post so I'm going to give my opinion. On a convertible you need more than just the MMFLSC's! I know my car is heavier than your cars but with the MMFLSC's on a 4 point lift if you open the door you'll see the car is still a noodle! I have them on mine and couldn't believe how much flex the car still had after the install. Now I need to go back and add some more bracing. Don't get me wrong they help but like I said on the lift they are still a freakin noodle. So if you can afford it look into something better that offers more stability.

like what? i thought the MMs were the best

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I knew someone was going to ask! I think Griggs makes some and I know that Kenny Brown's was called the Matrix or something. I wasn't lying on how much the car flexed either. I'll look and if I find something I'll come back and post it.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
If I could actually find someone around here to install mine maybe I'd feel as good as you do! :lol1:

01vert

Established Member
Took me a while to find someone to weld them in. First guy wanted $400! Second place was about 2 hours away. Third place was actually through a PM on this board and I am very happy with the work. Atlantic Coast Mustang in southern NH was the place (if that is allowed) Full welds with good penetration and the welds were all painted afterwards.

I think the reason why my car seems so much better is due to the stock springs, with a softer spring rate I dont think I am getting the rougher ride that some have with aftermarket springs and therefore dont get the shake some still have. With the softer springs maybe less impact is being transferred through my chassis? My dash used to actually move left / right and up / down over a certain road not in the same manner as the car was moving. This is almost gone now over the same road. Car used to fell like it was going in 4 different directions on a rough road with each corner moving independently of the others. Seems much more connected now with the entire chassis moving as a whole over large bumps / ruts / etc rather than one corner flopping around as you traveled over bumps.

Was done on a drive on lift

I can't say the car is a total rock now but the amount of increased stiffness is really, really good. I believe most cars are not supposed to be put on a 4 point and have the doors opened. I know some have said that on a vert you may not get them closed again until you lower the car to the ground. I would love to see some of the other stuff that include a matrix brace and / or jacking rails but for the money these cant be beat IMO. I figure I can buy jacking rails and have cross braces made with tubular or box steel if I want to improve them further.

BOSS75: Some here have had good luck with custom exhaust shops welding them in, as long as they follow the instructions and know how to weld well they shouldnt be a problem. Some have even used a place like Mieneke or similar as they usually have one guy who can weld well.

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
posi said:

When you say 4 point lift, do you mean a drive on lift? I just want to make sure of this before I comment. Meaning, did you have these installed on a drive on lift?

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
When you say 4 point lift, do you mean a drive on lift? I just want to make sure of this before I comment. Meaning, did you have these installed on a drive on lift?

I think he means lifting the car w/a 4 point lift AFTER the subframe connectors are in. I've opened my doors when it was on 4 jack stands and my doors operated nicely. Maybe I hit the "balance point"?

The Cobra is much stiffer w/MMFLSFC than my '91 Fox vert was w/MMFLSFCs. I still hear some creaks when transitioning from the road to my driveway since I can't hit it head on, but it's not that bad.

The place I had mine welded in checked the chassis for straightness first and said it was nice & straight. I did notice that I have to pull down a little on my top to latch the clamps right after the connectors were put on. It's like they removed any "sag" that was present before welding the connectors on.

cobraracer46

Banned
Subframes are better than nothing for a convertible, but frame kit that consists of in car sub frames, that require the inside of the floor pan to be cut to lay in the frame rails and bulk head connectors is the way to go. I spent over 8 hours cutting and welding to get the griggs frame kit in my convertible and now the car feels tighter than a hard top. Unfortunatly, If you cant do the work yourself, a frame kit would be a very expensive mod to do.

01vert

Established Member
As I stated a long time ago a $1000 kit and cutting floors is an apples to oranges comparison between the MM full lengths. To me, bang for the buck, the MMs are great. For those that want floor cutting I would also add a real 6 point minimum roll bar. Since I use the back seat for two kids a bar is out of the question and since this is a weekend toy with the family I am not tearing it apart and cutting the floor because of the cost factor as well as not being able to do the work myself.

BTW, the HANS stuff is supposed to be really nice and one of the guys on here (mareck?) can get them at a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread