MM Front Coil Over Problem

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Apparently this has been posted on other forums, but for those who run MM's front coil over suspension - pay attention. The ears at the bottom of the struts are susceptible to bending and there are reports of them breaking off not good!). Dean Smeltzer recently alerted me to this problem, so I checked mine and sure enough they are both bent. I snapped a few pics and asked Bruce C to post them for me.

Fortunately MM is aware of the problem and has a fix for it. Call them and they will give you an RA number. Send them in (be sure to carefully wrap them so the shaft is not scratched) and they will attach a well reinforced collar to the bottom of the strut. They charge $50 per side plus shipping and their turn around time is approx 1 week. Mine are going in tomorrow.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Interesting comment.

I believe this is in reference to Bilstein struts used in a coil-over application.

Were these struts designed to be run in a coil-over applicatio by Bilstein?

Is this problem showing up on these same struts when used as a strut and not a weight carrying component? (i.e. stock design)

Tom

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I posted the info/pictures/link up here when it started over on cc.com .

Tom - The OEM design has a wrapped ear which doesn't exhibit this issue. Not sure the extent of the issue and if it happens on non-coil over applications.

Stan - 99.9% of the aftermarket would have just said "tough luck!"

Users who are viewing this thread