MM Firewall Adj and Quad

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Ok I need serious help with this thing because it is killing me, so much that I cant even get motivated about driving or having the car. I had to replace my clutch cable and while doing it, I decided to use the Maximum Motorsport quadrant and Firewall adjuster. First thing, yes I used a factory Ford cable.

Ever since doing this shifting has been all messed up. Normal driving conditions no problem. But high RPMs and/or quick and fast shifting, its like Im locked out. First time I called for tech support, MM was awesome. We discussed that some different clutch materials respond to heat and expansion differently and that I might need a little more adjustment on the FWA. He also verified that I did install everything correctly. Awesome. No problem. Put the car away thinking I was done. Took it out yesterday, totally Effed still call back to MM and get a huge dick. I am still so pissed with MM right now...

He tells me that it sounds almost like my pressure plate is not completely releasing - agreed. He then proceeds to tell me how to adjust the FWA. He also tells me Im having issues because I didnt use their cable and for it to work correctly it has to be a completely system. I conform I did this process and that it was correct. Also noting that I had it adjusted out most of the way as it were. His response, 'well these have a massive range of adjustment' to which I respond, I realize that and thats why Im telling you its adjusted out all the way. Then he tells me to do it completely to the max. I confirm that this will pre-load the TOB and ruin it. He says yeah but just do it, anyway it wont destroy it right away. Then he starts telling me the disc is warped and thats my whole problem. So apparently my disc warped, when it was sitting on the rack and I was under the dash.

Basically from those of you who have been using this system and have it working properly I need actual tech help and getting this dialed in. I had zero issues with the stock setup so I can confidently say I dont have a clutch issue. Also I hope MM sees this so they can understand why Im upset and why I didnt appreciate waiting 20 minutes for someone to waste my time and who decided he had a huge attitude problem.

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
Is it grinding going into gear at low rpms or from a dead stop...I only ask because I had a similar issue this spring after I installed a Ford Racing firewall adjuster. When I bought my 01 the clutch was stiff as hell and poorly adjusted (way too high on the pedal)....No matter how much I adjusted it I got the same result...It was my clutch and pilot bearing, the fingers were bent on one side and the pilot bearing was getting dry and not spinning freely when the clutch depressed. A lot of people over look the pilot bearing when they have shifting issues, just something to consider even though it sounds like this started with your new quadrant and FWA.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Yeah no grinding or noise issue at all. I mean your right, its 100% an alignment/adjustment issue...but its not the clutch. Dead stops, low RPMs and speed its business as usual

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
Ok, it sounds like once the clutch disc has expanded from the heat your not getting enough disengagement on the PP or the disc is hanging up on the input shaft and still contacting the PP or flywheel. Have you tried less adjustment instead of more??? Just something to try - thinking outside the box.... Is the cable still bolted to the inner fender as per the factory install? A small amount of preload won't kill the TOB quickly, think about the M5OD 5spds in Rangers and F150's, they have a spring on the hyd release bearing that puts a constant pressure on the TOB against the PP and they last for years. I used one in a custom setup on a T5 that I installed in my 63 Mercury.

Taz

Established Member
Weird problem, for sure. I've been running the MM FWA and quadrant for years, both with the OEM clutch/PP assembly and with the Ford Racing setup. No issues.

As I'm sure you know, the second guy at MM with whom you spoke is dead wrong about needing to use the MM cable. I'm still running my OEM cable, and have never had any problems.

I always adjust my FWA so that I have about 1/8" of cable play at the firewall. Is that how you've adjusted yours?

:shrug:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I remember having to order a cable from MM to use with their firewall adjuster. There was something about the way it sat in the FWA. I had a stocker in there before and it wouldn't adjust correctly.

SVECobraR

Established Member
I never got my MM adjusters to work correctly either. I kept their quadrant and moved onto a fiore FWA then I moved onto a Promotion cable with adjustment by the clutch fork and I have been happy ever since.

SVECobraR

Established Member
It didn't really have the same issues because it locked way better than the MM one but i never figured out how to use those FWA's properly. I must have been doing something really wrong because there was no way i can pull that cable out of the adjuster and turn it at the same time.

I got fed up and went with Wallies recommendation, their adjustable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread