MM Diff bushings & Ford Girdle

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Im going to install the Ford Racing Girdle. I know a little bit of grinding is needed to fit the girdle on the irs but Ive had a mm diff bushing kit on it for years. Has anyone installed this combo? If so can you give me some pointers. Does the bushing interfere with the girdle. This Girdle is a lot bigger than stock.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Most here ditch the MM bushing and go FTBR and there milled cover. No grinding needed and it fits perfectly. Thats what I have

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I have the FRPP cover with MM front and rear polyurethane diff bushings. The grinding is for the LPW cover not the Ford Racing cover unless you use the FTBR pinion angle set. Not a bad idea to talk to Bruce at FTBR, he is very knowledgeable and honest about the IRS. I literally had both the MM and FTBR bushing sets in my hands ready for install and selected the MM pieces based on my own reasoning. For the rear bushing I mixed a little anti seize and grease and lightly coated the bushing to help eliminate any squeaks that might try to occur after assembly. I have noticed a nice improvement in reduced wheel hop which adds to piece of mind. If you use the grey sealant bead both the cover and the diff then let it dry for a day or more before filling. Also remember the fill hole is the right side middle hole and fill to the bottom of it by letting a little gear lube seep out. I sealed the the three other pipe plugs and filled with 1.5 quarts of lube on the floor before the install then filled to spec when the car was level. It's not a bad job just a little time consuming.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The solid aluminum MM rear diff mount lowers the rear of the differential which requires the milling of the Ford Racing cover to clear the inner toe link mounting brackets on the subframe.

There 'may' also be compatibility or fitment issues with the MM rear diff mount and the Ford Racing cover which may require some relieving here and there. You will find out.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
Thanks ac. Got it on. I did a little grinding on the cover and the aluminium mount. Fits good. It would have bought your already grinded cover but just thought i could save some $. I did purchase the cover as well as many other parts/kits from you. Thanks for the reply as well as the great products.

shurur

Established Member
Thanks ac. Got it on. I did a little grinding on the cover and the aluminium mount. Fits good. It would have bought your already grinded cover but just thought i could save some $. I did purchase the cover as well as many other parts/kits from you. Thanks for the reply as well as the great products.

I'm installing the AL bushing mounts and have had them since 2007.

I sent a email very recently to MM and the response was that there will be grinding necessary and that they were posting something up "soon."

Glad it went well for you

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I used the MM poly bushings with the LPW cover. You definately will have to grind off the cast "LPW" logo to get the stock rear mount to fit. Kind of sucked to take the grinder to such a nice peice of aluminum, but it all went together well and seems to be working great.

I would eventually like to upgrade to to the FTBR delrin setup, but I was just trying to get it back on the road as quick as possible and the MM Poly, was a decent short term fix. IMO

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
When the bolt that holds the diff mount to the subframe is torqued to 76ft-lbs, and there is a gap in between the aluminum bushing mount and the subframe? Its about a 1/16th or less gap. I dont remember this with the stock cover. I can move the diff around slightly with the 2 front diff bolts loose. Should the rear diff mount bushing mount have some play between the subframe bracket or should the diff be tight to the rear subframe?

Users who are viewing this thread