MM Cobra maximum grip box?

firedog90

Established Member
It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the car. ie corner carving or straight line. I had pretty much everything from this kit but their strut tower brace since it wouldn't clear the KB 2.8. My intentions at the time were for both but I realized you can't do both. Even with this kit I had horrible wheel hop. My car has the Tokico D-spec c/o's up front with a 300# spring and had the stock bilstein's in back modified for c/o's with a 575# spring. Both are what maximum sent. I put bias plys on it and it would just spin it's ass off. I ended up ditching the c/o's in back and going with a stock coupe spring and double adjustable qa1s. It still spins a little but I am still messing with the shock adjustments. It handled great in corners with everything in the kit. It felt like the car was on rails. If anything, I'd piece together your own setup based on what you plan to do with the car. You could save money piecing together what will work for you. If you want a car that handles great for cornering then the MM grip package will work. I think the bushing kit from full tilt boogie racing is better than what comes in the maximum kit but I didn't want to pull everything out to buy the other kit. I'm pleased with the setup now but in the future I will be replacing the D-specs for a set of double adjustable coil over qa1s.

Last edited:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the car. ie corner carving or straight line. I had pretty much everything from this kit but their strut tower brace since it wouldn't clear the KB 2.8. My intentions at the time were for both but I realized you can't do both. Even with this kit I had horrible wheel hop. My car has the Tokico D-spec c/o's up front with a 300# spring and had the stock bilstein's in back modified for c/o's with a 575# spring. Both are what maximum sent. I put bias plys on it and it would just spin it's ass off. I ended up ditching the c/o's in back and going with a stock coupe spring and double adjustable qa1s. It still spins a little but I am still messing with the shock adjustments. It handled great in corners with everything in the kit. It felt like the car was on rails. If anything, I'd piece together your own setup based on what you plan to do with the car. You could save money piecing together what will work for you. If you want a car that handles great for cornering then the MM grip package will work. I think the bushing kit from full tilt boogie racing is better than what comes in the maximum kit but I didn't want to pull everything out to buy the other kit. I'm pleased with the setup now but in the future I will be replacing the D-specs for a set of double adjustable coil over qa1s.

I'll just second what this guy said. Everything I had read has lead me to the same conclusion, picking your goal/end point will allow you to focus on the best setup without overspending.

There are mods that can be done that will be beneficial for both straight line and cornering, ie:
SFCs
Bushings
Quality springs and shocks (although coilovers or a good drag strut may be a better "end" option)
ANY weight reduction that you can realisticly do (which helps all 3 major performance characteristics, excelleration, handling, and braking).

My suggestion, and this is what I am doing, do the simple things first. Subframe connectors, Bushing (if you are staying with the IRS, I went solid), IRS brace, weight reduction, any cage/roll bar you may want. And then while you are doing these mods, determine if you want to be fast in a straight line or in the twisties. Read, read, read.

I know my car will only be a street/highway runner, so the SRA saved me weight and is cheaper to build while planting the tires just as well as a fully prepped IRS. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread