MKV video file player

Fuerza

Established Member
I got some movies from a couple of guys I work with and they are MKV files. Windows media player doesn't support that so I was searching the web for players to use. I tried VLC media player but the movie was very choppy and would pixel a lot. I then tried DivX the video plays perfectly now, but there is no sound! The video is telling me I need Dolby ACS audio code 8192. I searched for the CODE downloaded and installed and that didn't work. DivX.com says AC3Filter, I downloaded and tried AC3Filter and that didn't work either. I was looking at AC3Filter and was wondering if I just need to configure it, for it to work properly. Any help would be appreciated. Video quality is perfect, but the sound is totally jacked, it might play for a second, the it freezes making the same sound over and over.

Fuerza

Established Member
Well I downloaded Codec Pack from CNET.com, problem solved! I did try and re-install VLC to see if it would work now. My goal is to have an all in one media player but it would still pixel and lag. DivX and windows media player are what I'm using. Oh well. :read:

Fuerza

Established Member
I don't understand it either, I wanted VLC to work. I was wondering if it was my graphics card not being able to support the movie? The movies are 720p HD and DivX plays the movies perfectly, almost HD quality on my netbook!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
My opinion is to use Media Player Classic and AC3Filter. That should be all you need.

Get MPC here:
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Video Player

Get AC3Filter here:
Download AC3Filter - AC3Filter

You shouldn't need to slop up your system with any "codec packs" since MPC should have all codecs built into the player. You may not even need AC3Filter either if you have a SPDIF audio connection to your amplifier. I still use it since it provides much more control over the audio stream.

I've set up countless PC multimedia systems (some really big ones too) using this combo. It should be relatively simple to get working, but if you need more help, please ask.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I don't understand it either, I wanted VLC to work. I was wondering if it was my graphics card not being able to support the movie? The movies are 720p HD and DivX plays the movies perfectly, almost HD quality on my netbook!

Your CPU may be to slow to support HD. Find out by bringing up the task manager while playing the movie and see what your CPU utilization is.

If that's the case you're going to want a player that can use DVXA, such as MPC or VLC Player. DVXA allows the player to pass video decoding directly to your graphics card which then does all the work and should play even 1080p stuff smoothly.

Just be sure your graphics card supports DVXA and make sure you have the latest graphics drivers. I think the graphics card must support DirectX 10 or higher to have DVXA capabilities.

LSUstang05

Established Member
VLC, BOXEE, or even PLEX will all play MKV files. Boxee and Plex are HTPC applications, but they will play MKV's just fine.

Fuerza

Established Member
Your CPU may be to slow to support HD. Find out by bringing up the task manager while playing the movie and see what your CPU utilization is.

If that's the case you're going to want a player that can use DVXA, such as MPC or VLC Player. DVXA allows the player to pass video decoding directly to your graphics card which then does all the work and should play even 1080p stuff smoothly.

Just be sure your graphics card supports DVXA and make sure you have the latest graphics drivers. I think the graphics card must support DirectX 10 or higher to have DVXA capabilities.

Its pegging out @ 100% when there is a big scene or lots of sound and my graphics card is integrated so yeah... HD on a slow netbook FTL.

Saikodi

Established Member
First of all make sure you have the codecs you need. The best codec pack that streaming folks (who encode audio/video files) use is: Download K-Lite Codec Pack

I have been using that for years and it has all the codecs I needed over the years.

Once the codecs are installed, you can use the "VLC player" or the "Media Player classic". Both are free and should work. I however use "Total Media Theater" player and its flawless. But its not free.

Thanks,
Sai Kodi

Fuerza

Established Member
LOL, uninstalled DivX. Using Codec pack from CNET all my files are now Video Clips or WMV. Window Media Player is running all the movies fine.

Users who are viewing this thread