Mixing Race gas with Pump Gas better than Torco,etc.

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
I'm sure this has been asked before but I could not find.
I have had several TVS mustangs and now I have a 13 GT500 that is 100% stock.
We only have 91 octane gas here and before I would even think of any engine mods, high octane gas would be #1 as I don't even get full performance from the stock setup till I hit 93 octane.
I have heard the issues with the Octane booster, orange color build up, shorter plug life, etc.
So would buying some VP or other Race gas and mixing say 1 gallon to 15 gallons be better than using Torco, Lucus, Boostane? I am only looking to hit 93 octane..
Thanks in advance.

railroad

Established Member
I do the mix also. My only concern is the difference in specific gravity of the pump and canned. I am presently using Sunoco GTX 260 Plus, I think that is right. I try to stay close to a 50/50, since the canned is about 94-96 octane. I was advised to NOT use oxygenated fuel and I use non ethanol. I can get non ethanol pump most of the time. Anyway, that is what I do. I also used VP C-9 in my 99 KB Cobra, same ratio.
Both canned brands are miles ahead of pump gas. My small engines really crank and run good on that stuff.

Last edited:

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Group,
We only have 91 octane gas here and before I would even think of any engine mods, high octane gas would be #1 as I don't even get full performance from the stock setup till I hit 93 octane.
I have heard the issues with the Octane booster, orange color build up, shorter plug life, etc.
So would buying some VP or other Race gas and mixing say 1 gallon to 15 gallons be better than using Torco, Lucus, Boostane? I am only looking to hit 93 octane..
Thanks in advance.

Where are you located at? I've found that most places that supposedly only carry 91 (I'm in CA) also have some small outfits that carry 93 and higher unleaded.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I mix toluene with 93 all the time for my 2006 Mustang GT that I race. Toluene is 114-118 (R+M)/2 and a couple of gallons will raise the octane level considerably. I can't use Torco in the 4.6L due to the crazy sparkplugs it has in it. Last time I bought it, it cost about $8 a gallon. I add 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon for injector lube.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Group,
Thanks in advance.

Be sure what ever race gas you buy is free of MMT to avoid the orange color/residue on the plugs. Torco is full of it. Octane boosters too.

One note on octane boosters, they say they raise the level an octane point. Point. That means going from 93 to 93.1. You want to raise by octane number; 93 to 94 for significant octane increase.

That's why I use toluene. One gallon if it can raise a half tank of 93 to 95-96.

stanger1

Established Member
Cool,
Thanks guys. I am in KS and we had a 93 Octane station that just recently closed and nobody else here has 93.
Hard to believe as we have a lot of high dollar dealerships here and I would think that those cars need 93 octane.

Homer Jay

Established Member
Other than the orange residue color, is there anything else negative about Torco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
One note on octane boosters, they say they raise the level an octane point. Point. That means going from 93 to 93.1. You want to raise by octane number; 93 to 94 for significant octane increase.

That's why I use toluene. One gallon if it can raise a half tank of 93 to 95-96.

That’s not true. I researched Torco extensively for my snowmobile. It’s an 1100 Turbo making around 260hp @22 PSI. Starting with 91 octane I am add enough Torco to get it up to 96 when I lake race. I don’t have my notes with me but I want to say its 22oz to do that in the 11 gal tank. It doesn’t trip the knock sensor and runs well with that combo.

Not to say Torco is the “best” answer but its certainly raising my octane more half a point.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Group,
Thanks in advance.

if you go with race fuels just remember that some are still leaded i believe. and that can screw up your O2 sensors

sb03cobra

Established Member
Cool,
Thanks guys. I am in KS and we had a 93 Octane station that just recently closed and nobody else here has 93.
Hard to believe as we have a lot of high dollar dealerships here and I would think that those cars need 93 octane.

Really does suck that we lost the 93! BTW I've been using the Lucas for the last 3 years with no issues.

sleek98

Established Member
Really does suck that we lost the 93! BTW I've been using the Lucas for the last 3 years with no issues.

Using the lucas octane booster in the red bottle? I grabbed a bottle of that and put it in my car and logged, it got rid of the .5* of knock I was getting.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Be sure what ever race gas you buy is free of MMT to avoid the orange color/residue on the plugs. Torco is full of it. Octane boosters too.

http://papers.sae.org/2016-01-9073/

Seems to be a lot of contradictory information on MMT. I think one has to look at their circumstances and decide for themselves what's best. If you can't get unleaded, non oxiginated, non-ethanol fuel, and the pump gas available is crap (91 or inconsistent 93). Your only choice might be the Torco type booster A lot cheaper and easier to replace the converters, plugs, or O2 sensors than ruin an engine because its detonating. Boostane also has a product that might be better than Torco, but at the end of the day they all have MMT

Users who are viewing this thread