Mixing Octane's

ITL Cobra

Established Member
Question, is it bad to mix a little racing gas with 93 octane? My tune is for 93 but I was talking to a mechanic who said "Fuel at the pump could be less than 93 even if it is marked 93, it wouldn't hurt to put a 1/2 a tank or so of racing maybe 100 + unleaded when filling up if I was going to be getting on her. Normal driving conditions 93 would be fine, but under hard acceleration he would add a little racing gas."

Does this sound right??

Car 03 Cobra Whipple 18lbs of boost, 60# injectors, BAP, and the related mods...

Thanks

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i mix octanes ALL THE TIME in my car. the car is my year round DD, and has been since day 1, when i got it over 3 years ago. i have had ZERO issues from doing this. i am running a 93 octane tune, and all we have is 91 in OKC....but we DO also have a station that sells 100 octane. i usually fill up with 91 octane, and leave room for 3 gallons or so of 100 octane to add to the mix...thus bumping my 91 octane a bit closer to the 93 octane range.

there is nothing to worry about, by adding some race gas to your current pump swill. in fact, it is an extra/added safety measure, to help fight/prevent detonation.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Your mechanic is somewhat correct. Not all stations have what they say, however the likely hood of that is rare. Stick with top tier stations and you should be fine. I/e Chevron/Shell/QT. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread