mixing leaded gas with unleaded

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
is it safe to mix 5 gallons of leaded 110 with 1 to 5 gallons of 93? never heard of anyone doing this so i thought i would ask.

Thanks!

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
The object is then to dilute the lead but still retain a high(er) octane than normal pump gas. If you were to mix 5 gallons of leaded with 10-15gallons of 93 i would say you should be alright. however if your going to mix 5gallons with 5gallons if you continue to do so you will be buying new o2 sensors + cats soon (unless your catless).

The Amount of lead in the fuels isnt that significant but enough that it will eat up your 02 sensors, if you use a ton of it.

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
i dont have cats, and 2 of the 4 oxygen sensors are off. changing them out isnt a big deal to me, i just dont want to hurt the motor.

Thanks!

Novi357

It's stock...
Established Member
I do it all the time.

But as said above, eventually it will kill off your cats (if you have them) and o2 sensor.

There actually are some o2 sensors on the market that are a bit more resistant to lead, but it still kills them off quicker than normal.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Is all 110 leaded? I was over as Summit this past weekend and noticed they have 110, 100, and 93 all at the same pump. I assumed they were all unleaded...no?

Ken

wheelhopper

Established Member
The 110 is leaded, 100 and 93 are unleaded at Summit. They are also expensive.

From what I have seen 100 is the highest unleaded gas that you can buy. I have my car tuned for 93, but at when racing I try to run the 100 or put a couple gallons of 110 or 116 just to help avoid detonation. Especially when it is above 90 degrees outside.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
The 110 is leaded, 100 and 93 are unleaded at Summit. They are also expensive.

From what I have seen 100 is the highest unleaded gas that you can buy. I have my car tuned for 93, but at when racing I try to run the 100 or put a couple gallons of 110 or 116 just to help avoid detonation. Especially when it is above 90 degrees outside.

Good to know, I also have a tune for 93, but I also have an aggressive 93 tune that I am running right now. I run 94 in it most of the time.

But I might pick up a 5gal or so deal of 100 to have on tap if I cant get to my 94 station.

Thanks,

Ken

and yes, it was 6:50 a gal for the 110 and 100, and 4 dolla for the 93 :shrug:

I pay 3 dollars for 94 most of the time

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
is it safe to mix 5 gallons of leaded 110 with 1 to 5 gallons of 93? never heard of anyone doing this so i thought i would ask.

Thanks!

Well I was told by Al Papitto (Boss330) that is a huge no-no and more than likely helped with the overall demise of my stock engine. I don't remember the technical reasons he gave but by mixed unleaded & leaded you could never be sure of what octane you'd end up with. I used to mix and match leaded & unleaded all the time.

I do know Ken was told this too & he always got all the unleaded out before he put his 110 leaded in. His stocker held up extremely well until he decided to throw 30lbs of boost at it...lol I now wait until low fuel light comes on before I add leaded race fuel.

Again I'm no expert in this field just passing this info on...

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Well I was told by Al Papitto (Boss330) that is a huge no-no and more than likely helped with the overall demise of my stock engine. I don't remember the technical reasons he gave but by mixed unleaded & leaded you could never be sure of what octane you'd end up with. I used to mix and match leaded & unleaded all the time.

I do know Ken was told this too & he always got all the unleaded out before he put his 110 leaded in. His stocker held up extremely well until he decided to throw 30lbs of boost at it...lol I now wait until low fuel light comes on before I add leaded race fuel.

Again I'm no expert in this field just passing this info on...

i can see this being a big problem if done wrong.

bob made it easy... he always ran c16

gtmustang88

Established Member
I do it all the time.

But as said above, eventually it will kill off your cats (if you have them) and o2 sensor.

There actually are some o2 sensors on the market that are a bit more resistant to lead, but it still kills them off quicker than normal.

I also do it, haven't had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread