Mix 93 and e85 .. What's needed if anything

crazygn

Established Member
Is anything needed to run a few gals of e85 maybe 3-5 gals in a tank of gas or even in a 1/2 tank of 93 , this is just for the track every now and again

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I am sure you would need tuning changes. You would essentially be running E40. Post the question in the distillery and I am sure someone will give you sound advice.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
That's sounds like a bad combination... Just mix 93 with race gas. I add 110 leaded race fuel at the track with no problem or tunning changes.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
people mix e85 and 93 with the turbo cobalts all the time and had no issues. Just have to have a tester and make sure it's a 50/50 mix with the e47 tune

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I used to mix a E70 mix when I was trying to max out the stock fuel pump @ 21volts. But its more like adding a few gal of E10 93 to E85 not the other way around. There are a few good calculators to get you where you wanna be at, then of course you would need a proper tune to take into account the difference in stoichiometry.

crazygn

Established Member
That does come in handy ... I wouldn't need to do this at all if my logs would read knock , I just want to up the octane to see if it runs better due to knock that I can't see

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Got you ... My old grand national would eat o2 sensors like crazy

Not a good idea to run 50/50 on a 93 tune. 93 e15 runs at 14.2 AFR. E85 at 10 AFR. You need a tune for a mix.

Modern O2 sensors can fail in as little as 2 hours use with leaded race gas. What is worse is that a/f becomes unreliable, so lean operation is posible.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Modern O2 sensors can fail in as little as 2 hours use with leaded race gas. What is worse is that a/f becomes unreliable, so lean operation is posible.

I've had no problems with 50/50 mix of unleaded race gas/93 & my data logs are fine... I've gone 230 mile round trip with that set up for a true street event last June & will be doing it again this Saturday for NMCA true street... My tuner suggested it until I get a fuel system to run E85... Sometimes I just spike 10 gal of 93 with 2 gal of 110 to protect from hot days... 47lb injectors, no BAP & 600whp has been fine according to my data logs...

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had no problems with 50/50 mix of unleaded race gas/93 & my data logs are fine... I've gone 230 mile round trip with that set up for a true street event last June & will be doing it again this Saturday for NMCA true street... My tuner suggested it until I get a fuel system to run E85... Sometimes I just spike 10 gal of 93 with 2 gal of 110 to protect from hot days... 47lb injectors, no BAP & 600whp has been fine according to my data logs...

I agree with what you're doing to keep the octane up but I was always told to keep unleaded in these cars. I've ran VP's unleaded c10(100) and c20(103) mix with 93 for awhile with no issues. The factory widebands are the brains of the coyotes.

It will be fine until it's not fine. Not fine is an expensive fix.

crazygn

Established Member
Lol man I think I'm just gonna get a new tune on 93 and if that doesn't work I might put it back to stock lol ... Tired of playing with the tune and it never seems right

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm just going on the 3 years of experimentation from my tuner... He's already learned the what to do's & the what not to do's! Lol!
His 2011 runs 9.50's now on corn w/ a Roush TVS & spray...

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm just going on the 3 years of experimentation from my tuner... He's already learned the what to do's & the what not to do's! Lol!
His 2011 runs 9.50's now on corn w/ a Roush TVS & spray...
and he doesn't use leaded race gas to run 9.50s

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Not a big fan of mixing E85 and pump gas.

Why not go straight to E85 and get all the benifits. Swithcing to E40 or whatever is still going to require you to change tunes whenever you start mixing.

Why not go directly to E85 and cut out any room for error ?

Users who are viewing this thread