Missing Horsepower

Electric Snake

Established Member
Help! I am a new (as of September '01) 99 Cobra Owner and finally found time to get the Dyno test done to measure rear wheel horspower. I found I'm putting out 255 (SAE Corrected) at the wheels, about 15 below what SVT says is the Minimum acceptable. We followed the procedures recommended by SVT except for measuring the inlet air temp and coolant temp. By the way, it was about 40 degrees that day, but the car had just been driven 1/2 hour to the shop and the temp needle was exactly in the middle of the range. Probably no problem w/excess heat in the inlet air or coolant. The "Fix" was performed 3/2000 but the car had never been dyno tested before this week.
I called SVT this week to seek assistance and they were very lukewarm to providing assistance. They finally consented to review my dyno sheet which I promptly faxed to them earlier today. My power seems to peak about 5,000 rpm and stay there until 6000 rpm instead of the 6,000 rpm peak I've seen on other Dyno charts (also stock) I've seen posted. My car is stock except for a K&N FIlter. My nearest two SVT dealers are approx. one hour away. I called both, spoke w/service people and found this newbie knew more about the situation than they did.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe improper computer calibration for air/fuel @ high rpms? Thanks for any help and your patience. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

CbrCpe

Established Member
Yep, it is falling flat on it's face. My 99 dyoned @ 280.1hp/289.0tq SAE corrected after the fix.

First, I would do several visual inspections to make sure the fix was done, as claimed.

You should have a BLUE or GREEN dot on the left front of the lower intake.

There should be 7509 stamped on bottom of your mufflers.

There should be a sticker somewhere under your hood with the computer re-flash information.

Electric Snake

Established Member
Cbr Cpe - Thanks for the suggestion. I have done the visual inspection(s) and found the green dot on the intake manifold and 7509 on the muffler cans, but cannot find the "JA" sticker indicating the computer re-flash. I asked the associate @ SVT about this and he claimed the sticker was routinely not applied. I believe the computer was either not re-programmed or was done incorrectly, leading to the lack of peak horsepower at high rpms.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

CbrCpe

Established Member
Well, since you have already faxed the dyno to SVT & you have verified the visuals, I'd would see what SVT has to say. I've heard that some stickers were not applied, but I've also heard that some computers were not re-flashed.

Electric Snake

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. A mechanic at an SVT shop told me by phone that once the stock computer has been re-flashed, it cannot be re-programmed again. Does that sound right? If SVT does not have a good solution, are there any suggestions for chip replacements?
Thanks

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Electric Snake
Thanks for the replies guys. A mechanic at an SVT shop told me by phone that once the stock computer has been re-flashed, it cannot be re-programmed again. Does that sound right? If SVT does not have a good solution, are there any suggestions for chip replacements?
Thanks

The stock computers can be reflashed over and over again. That was a problem when people first started modding the Cobra's. Some dealerships would routinely flash the computer to clear codes and garbage out of it, which would in turn kill any tuning that was done to the car.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Booyah - thanks for the info.. I'll wait to hear from SVT, maybe just a re-flash. Where are you in VA?
C

Dumfries about 32 miles south of DC.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Booyah - thought you might be here in town. I've seen a '98 black on black around here, not the same. Thanks for your help.

Nope not me. You would know if it was me, license plate is BOOYAH1 and I would probably have come to pick on you. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread