Missing 4th at the 1/4 track

ModsAway

Established Member
Yeah sounds impossible doesn't it but its almost as if 4th was blocked for a number of my runs.

The first couple runs of the day no problems, after all 3-4 should be and is the easiest shift to make imho... but after a couple passes I just couldn't get the car to go into 4th, once it even went into fourth but then just revved which scared the crap outta me cause i was sure I busted something.

After the pass on the way back car shifted fine, whats going on? I can understand missing one but after it started acting up I deliberately took my time and stomped the clutch to the floor before shifting and still nothing.

Am I just pulling on the shifter a bit without realizing it and throwing off the straight shot down to 4th or what?

Thanks for your suggestions.

03redfiresnake

Established Member
you need a clutch quadrant /firewall adjuster, the stock piece is a pos !! do a search on it and you will find lots of info !

MTI LS1

I have this exact same problem. Like you described it exactly. Shift into gear, car revs real high and wont engage. Yeah it scares the hell out of you. especially the first time. Its like the gear is being blocked. Ive heard a number of different solution, but never the firewall adjuster. Do you think that would fix it? I was thinking more of the syncros.

ModsAway

Established Member
TTT.

Would you elaborate on what other fixes you think there may be, other than a new driver lol :bash:

MTI LS1

I thought it was my driving at first actually. Then I got a good friend to drive it at the track, and the same thing happened to him. And he is very experienced.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
i've had it too. 4th is a biatch sometimes. funny, because you'd think it would be 3rd... but nope.

stangfreak

Established Member
funny how i had the same problem! you would think that one would miss 3 gear, but no. i kept missing 4th gear. joe at mustang magic told me to just cup the knob and pull STRAIGHT down. DONT hold the shift to 4th with your palm facing out. cup and shift directly down. works for me now. if you push it a bit to the left and right it gets stuck inbetween the gears. i guess bc we have 6 gears so they are close to one another.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Make sure you push the clutch in far enough also. I've found that moving my seat up an inch or so at the track helps me shift by more fully engaging the clutch during quick shifts. This will help more for avoiding grinding 4th than for missing the gear but I thought I would mention it.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Make sure you push the clutch in far enough also. I've found that moving my seat up an inch or so at the track helps me shift by more fully engaging the clutch during quick shifts. This will help more for avoiding grinding 4th than for missing the gear but I thought I would mention it.
I was the KING at missing shifts until someone told me this simple trick and I rarely miss now... I put my seat as far forward as possible to get a better angle down on the clutch...

Jagged Edge

Established Member
My problem with 4th at the track was hitting 2nd instead of 4th. this never happens unless it's a 6 grand and above shift. When I first started going to the track it never happened either.
JE

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by flyn high again
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was the KING at missing shifts until someone told me this simple trick and I rarely miss now... I put my seat as far forward as possible to get a better angle down on the clutch...
Ditto, get closer to your work, better clutch, angle, shorter reach...

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
It is probably just me but.........HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU MISS 4TH GEAR........not trying to be a a$$ but come on ,4th.........next we will hear of someone missing.........FIRST.........LOL

notch3o2

i8urmama
Established Member
its actualy the gates are not perectly straight on the shifters.....Joe at Mustang Magic is fabricating a piece right now to add to your shifter to make 4th a more secure shift.....he is using a steeda tri-ax as a prototype

SALEEN039

Established Member
I had the same problem. I put in the UPR 3 hook clutch quadrant and believe it or not hit 4th every time and even gained 2 tenths because I can shift all gears way faster.

sam

Established Member
the shift to forth gear is the least critical gear change to make in the quarter mile. no need to rush that shift at all.

MikeW

Established Member
I didnt have a problem with my 03 hiting 4th until I started driveing my 97 that has a Pro 5.0 shifter in it. My last trip to the track in the 03 I missed 4th 3 outa 5 runs... It pissed me off real good. I have the MGW handle waiting to install to see if that helps. Like someone said above... it is better to ease the shifts with the stock shifter.. I got use to slamin them in my 97. I will replace the stock shifter next year... along with a pulley and tune..;-)

ModsAway

Established Member
Originally posted by soniccobra 03
It is probably just me but.........HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU MISS 4TH GEAR........not trying to be a a$$ but come on ,4th.........next we will hear of someone missing.........FIRST.........LOL

Thats an awful lot of Bling items and almost no performance mods in your sig to be pissing on all of us for missing 4th. Almost all of us admitted how stupid it sounds but I'm sure you have made mistakes to.

Thanks for all your help folks, just gonna have to keep going to the track. its all in fun anyway and after doing a road course track event yesterday drag racing is kinda boring anyway :rockon:

Swervedriver

Established Member
A short shifter of almost any flavor will help too. The stock handle has a big piece of rubber that will give enough to make you think the thing went into gear. With the short shifter You'll feel the wall & correct.

I've only missed 4th once, but I'm always taking longer than I think I should on that gear.

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Originally posted by ModsAway
Thats an awful lot of Bling items and almost no performance mods in your sig to be pissing on all of us for missing 4th. Almost all of us admitted how stupid it sounds but I'm sure you have made mistakes to.

Thanks for all your help folks, just gonna have to keep going to the track. its all in fun anyway and after doing a road course track event yesterday drag racing is kinda boring anyway :rockon:

What's performance got to do with missing 4th gear? You can either shift or you can't......And i seem to be missing your mods mr. smarty pants...........lol.......j/k of course.:bash: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread