Misshifting

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
hey guys, i was just curious as to how bad a misshift can be for your car, i was messin around with my buddy this evening on the highway and went to shift into 4th and missed the gear and i heard it grind and reved to just about redline...i dont hear any clunking and the gear seems to be fine, should i be worried about anything

Not really...I dont think you should worry about anything you hit the rev limiter and in these events the limiter is your friend it's there to prevent any damage from happening...so no I dont think so.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Not really...I dont think you should worry about anything you hit the rev limiter and in these events the limiter is your friend it's there to prevent any damage from happening...so no I dont think so.

+1. Our local guys here always told me that I would have to try REALLY hard to mess up my clutch. I hadn't driven a stick in years before we bought my car but shoot, it was like riding a bike lol.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
You have nothing to worry about, trust me I know. I was smart enough to shift from the top of 3rd to second TWICE (don't ask me how please) when I first got my car. I now have 75K miles on it with the OEM clutch still in place.

sportinawoody

Established Member
i went from 4th to 2nd accidentally and the car cut off. i cycled the key off and on and it started back up and ran perfect. i think this is a fail safe to save the engine. and blueeyewillie, try doing this in any other vehicle and youll see a rev limiter is useless when you down shift into the wrong gear at high speeds. motor goes POW!!!!

Lethal Threat

I'll find you soon
Established Member
i went from 4th to 2nd accidentally and the car cut off. i cycled the key off and on and it started back up and ran perfect. i think this is a fail safe to save the engine. and blueeyewillie, try doing this in any other vehicle and youll see a rev limiter is useless when you down shift into the wrong gear at high speeds. motor goes POW!!!!

I've hit rev limiters on many cars in my past and it does what it's supposed to do and Mr. sportina useless is going from 4th to 2nd why dont you just put it in reverse while your at it.

Users who are viewing this thread