Missed the deer

99lightsvt

Established Member
Hit the tree though. Coming back from a friends house last night, wife swerved to miss a deer and plowed a tree. Everyone was ok, but the car is rough. 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT. All sore this morning, but ok. Now we just gotta wait to see what GEICO says. Watch out for the deer out there guys.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
hmmm, hit a deer or hit a tree.. there's going to be one dead deer.. (they give, a tree dosn't)

my sentiments exactly. while i have yet to run into the deer-tree scenario, im going for the deer. sure it might do some damage, but hitting a heavy ass moveable object is alot better than hitting any immoveable object, physics 101.

plus you get to have venison later. you cant eat a tree.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I think either option is a losing thing. I hit a deer with the Cobra last year, and while you may think that a deer doesn't do much damage, the bill ran up to $2500 in damage. So, tree or deer=no good.

Glad everyone is ok, and yes, the deer are out. I see them every morning on my way to work. I leave for work around 4:15am, so they are roaming around at that hour.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Im definitely going to teach my family and friends to drive through the stupid deer. That tree could kill your family... deer wont.

oldmodman

Established Member
And another reason for hitting the deer.

Your insurance company still pays for it but you are not listed as at fault. Hitting deer = act of nature', hitting tree for ANY reason = your fault.

At least that's what a friend in Conn. was told after the exact same kind of wreck.

G:342

Just here for the ride.
Established Member
nckissfan said:
deer might not kill your family, but they could if they went through the windshield.
Exactly. A guy here was driving through a suburb and a deer ran across the road and he hit it and it went through the windshield and killed him.. He was in an SUV.. Sorry to hear about your car man but atleast everyone's ok, that's the most important thing!

99lightsvt

Established Member
Now the insurance is giving me the run-around...they say the damage is $5300...the car is only worth about $9000...I think they are trying to get away w/o totaling...I have to question the reliability/safety of the car my wife drives when it is less than $700 from being totaled

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
That's a great example of what not to do. I'd rather hit the deer than risk hitting another car, tree, or rolling over and what not.

My friend's girlfriend clipped a deer the other day... right in town. Wilderness was a good 10 miles away. WTF it was doing, I have no clue. Didn't hurt the car, but the deer was probably wanting to kick her ass.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
99lightsvt said:
Now the insurance is giving me the run-around...they say the damage is $5300...the car is only worth about $9000...I think they are trying to get away w/o totaling...I have to question the reliability/safety of the car my wife drives when it is less than $700 from being totaled

Take it to a friendly body shop and have them push for a total. I am sure they can make it happen. I sure wouldn't want that car back.....
Glad everyone is ok though! That is all that matters. -Mat-

99lightsvt

Established Member
The problem is I have GEICO...they do their own estimates...the body shop i go to doesn't matter...GEICO stills runs their own sh*t...when this over they won't run anything with me though...time to change

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Have you tried talking with the adjuster>???
I have an insurance job at my shop right now. The customer has AIG, I have never dealt with anything easier before when it comes to insurance/warranty companies. I might even look into switching. HaHa. Goodluck!!! -Mat-

99lightsvt

Established Member
yeah tried to get the adjuster to give me the acv of the car...he just wanted to go golfing...told me so when i got there to meet for the estimate...asked where the closest golf course is...complete jackass if you ask me...but thats just me

99lightsvt

Established Member
Also when i told the adjuster that the engine ran for 10-20 min w/ no coolant, he says that won't hurt a thing...engines can run w/ no coolant for a half hour easily...we were trying to get the assend of the car out of the road...but I guess if he says its fine, then I shouldrelinquish my worries for my wife's safety

GT_Jim

Established Member
99lightsvt said:
Also when i told the adjuster that the engine ran for 10-20 min w/ no coolant, he says that won't hurt a thing...engines can run w/ no coolant for a half hour easily...we were trying to get the assend of the car out of the road...but I guess if he says its fine, then I shouldrelinquish my worries for my wife's safety

That guys a moron. Lets see, aluminum motor, no coolant, 20 minutes....= no good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread