Missed shift at track over revved

cammer00gt

Established Member
Ok 1st time to run the 04 (2.93 pulley w/ idlers/ tune/ off road h and flows...) I went to shift into fourth but wouldnt go in.. tried again the ****er veered into 2nd and i gaged it as soon as it went in and scared the shart out of me got alittle squirrley... What would my speed be when wot shifting into fourth? I didnt hear any change in the sound of the engine afterwards... I waited for about an hour to run it again hoping it wouldnt break. 2nd run went ok... I ran a 12.6 @ 111 with a 1.98 60ft.. but my mph seemed to be low and i was actually 4 mph slower this run at the 1/8 than the 1st so im wondering if something could be wrong or the heat soak waiting in line with the engine running causes this?? Also the tune on this car is tuned for the 2.76 pulley that was originally on...

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
That has happened to me before. Sounds like a nasty scream from the blower and scared the hell outta me too... That's what a rev limiter is for.. although the engine RPM was through the roof LOL. This happen about 20K miles ago for me and still running strong.

I would say you were around 100 MPH when you hit 2nd... as long as you clutch instantly I'm sure your car is fine.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i know someone else this happened to and it was OBVIOUS he ruined something...so i think if it sounds and runs fine then you got lucky this time. His car was a GT and he powershifted into 2nd instead of 4th...needless to say he was due for a new engine after that stunt.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I am a granny shifter so I don't miss many, but have done it :bash:
just keep trying :-D

Last edited:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I did that to my gt when it was stock and threw a rocker arm. So i cammed it lol. I havent been from 3rd to 3nd in the cobra yet but i could only imagine. Chances are if something broke or was wrong you would hear it. Btw why did you change to a 2.93? Heatsoak will make you a little slower. Where the 60ft times close?

cammer00gt

Established Member
i bought the car with the 2.93 but the guy who owned it had it tuned for the 2.76 but kept tearing up belts so he put the 2.93 on. The 1st runs 60 ft was 2.083 the 2nd was 1.984. 8th mile was 8.2@90mph on the 1st run where the 2nd run was 8.1@86mph. Did wait in line a good while before running the 2nd time. Going today to pick up the 2.76 pulley and possibly put it on after i get it dyno'd to make sure its running ok. It runs like it did before i ran it no knocking or weird noises.. So i may have luckt out..

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
I did the same thing about a year ago, I had a real bad adjustment on the clutch and didn't know how to adjust at the time so I tried a 3rd -4th instead it went into 2nd... I clutched in though very quick. It is fine... besides these motors were built in the hands of god... and whoevers signature is on your passenger side valve cover.

metaman

Established Member
The only thing you will break doing that is the FRPS, and if that was broke the car would not go. I have missed gears and bounced off off the limiter dozens of times with the limiter set at 7000 and it never harmed anything. The motor can handle 7500. Missing gears is part of speed shifting.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
been there also, irs cover let go@100, lucky all was good just needed a cover, and clean gear oil off the entire back of the car

TVSCobra

Established Member
That has happened to me before. Sounds like a nasty scream from the blower and scared the hell outta me too... That's what a rev limiter is for.. although the engine RPM was through the roof LOL. This happen about 20K miles ago for me and still running strong.

I would say you were around 100 MPH when you hit 2nd... as long as you clutch instantly I'm sure your car is fine.

That mechanically over revs the engine, the rev limiter can't do anything to help that. It depends on whether or not the tires hooked when you shifted into 2nd instead of 4th. If they locked up and the revs didn't get that high and if you where quick to jump on the clutch then you are most likely okay. If they hooked then you reved the engine over 8500s rpm if you were in 2nd gear around 100 mph. I would recommend a compression and leakdown test to check for any bent valves or other broken/damaged components.

Last edited:

cammer00gt

Established Member
thats is what im leaning towards jtgrant... Just to be safe then if something isnt right well i have a warranty that came with the car thru the dealer knowing that the car was modded... I did pick up the stock pulley and idlers today from the previous owner along with the 2.76

Teej281

Established Member
That happened to me before in the GT and it bounced off the limiter at 6500rpm. Car runs fine now and that happened about 5000 miles ago...and my motor was not built by the hands of God and my valve cover doesnt have a name on it :(. But you seriously should be fine. And surprisingly not stated before, when you drop your 60' times, your trap speed will decrease. So dont be worried about that. Your car was running fine. Id rather have a low et and lower speed than a higher et with a higher speed.

twhitey

Established Member
lucky this didnt happen to you.
0213091738.jpg

TVSCobra

Established Member
The only thing you will break doing that is the FRPS, and if that was broke the car would not go. I have missed gears and bounced off off the limiter dozens of times with the limiter set at 7000 and it never harmed anything. The motor can handle 7500. Missing gears is part of speed shifting.

Really???????????? All I have to say about your post is WOW.:dw::lol:
If you think that is the only risk you have a lot to learn. :burn:

Users who are viewing this thread