Minor mods installed & test fit

ILW84U

Established Member
Bobs oil separator in Performance White. Great product. Thanks Van & Bob.

IMG_0129_zps681f15ca.gif

Redline hood struts.

IMG_0130_zpsa263e9d3.jpg

Test fit my 17 x 10 Weld RTS's. Going to mount MT 295/45/17 drag radials on them.

IMG_0131_zpscee870fc.jpg

Last edited:

ILW84U

Established Member
For now I will just run my stock wheels. I will eventually get some Weld 18's for the front but from what I understand, a 1/8 spacer is required. I may be wrong but I thought I had read one time that they were going to make them so no spacer was required & that is what I am waiting for.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks good.
Do you have a gear?
Why the taller 295s?
If stock gear, you'll go faster on a 305/35/18
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For now I will just run my stock wheels. I will eventually get some Weld 18's for the front but from what I understand, a 1/8 spacer is required. I may be wrong but I thought I had read one time that they were going to make them so no spacer was required & that is what I am waiting for.
Honestly a small spacer isn't a bad thing as long as you get a quality mustang specific spacer.
-J

ILW84U

Established Member
Looks good.
Do you have a gear?
Why the taller 295s?
If stock gear, you'll go faster on a 305/35/18
-J

Your post got me thinking. The rims are actually 17 x 10 and the MT 17's are actually a little shorter than stock. No grear change for now. Maybe after warranty. I corrected my original post.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ahh, that makes sense now.
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels
If no gear, you might be able to fit the 315/35/17, its shorter and despite saying it won't fit a 10" wheels it will.
I like your choice, I'm just thinking the car needs WAY more gear for the track if you have sticky tires to hook.
People have gone VERY fast on that 28" 295/45/17, so its not that its a bad choice, just not helping the gear situation.
Wheel looks great though, please keep us posted.
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Are you running hub rings with those Weld wheels or are those wheels lug centric? Looks like a lot of space between the wheel bore and the axle hub.

ILW84U

Established Member
No hub rings. Lugs are the same style as the factory ones but in black. I just used one factory one to hold it in place & it was only finger tight. The rim was not set in tight for the picture. I wanted to make sure they cleared the calipers before I mounted tires. I will take some pics once I get the tires mounted.

cclark

Established Member
OP the mods and car look great man! Couple quick questions....do the 17s fit the rear without any modifications? I know the 15s need the 12 gt500 rotors or calipers and sway bar relocation I believe. And my second question is, are there a lot of drag radial selection for the 17s or would 18s be a better choice? And which rim would hook better? (I'm thinking 17s since you can get a bigger sidewall than an 18)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
cclark:
Look at the Mickey Thompson link I posted above, the 295/45 and 315/35 are the only sizes to use on this car. Yes, 17s will perform better than 18s, but the 305/35/18 is a good size DR for us also.
I THINK the 17s work without mods, but maybe ILW84U will clarify.
-J

cclark

Established Member
Copy that. I was actually just on mickeys website looking at all the possible drag radials in 17s lol. I saw there are only 2 sizes that Mickey offers however I found these and would contemplate trying them if I were the op.

325/45R17

M and H only make one more option that's feasible for these cars in 17inch wheels and they are 275 (kinda small)

275/50R17 (28" Tall)

I think the first ones I posted, the 325s could work with the removal of the boot.

ILW84U

Established Member
OP the mods and car look great man! Couple quick questions....do the 17s fit the rear without any modifications? I know the 15s need the 12 gt500 rotors or calipers and sway bar relocation I believe. And my second question is, are there a lot of drag radial selection for the 17s or would 18s be a better choice? And which rim would hook better? (I'm thinking 17s since you can get a bigger sidewall than an 18)

The 17's fit fit no modifications. I would have preferred the 15's but I don't race the car all that often & figured why change the brake set up that came with the car. I am old school & like the look of the bigger sidewall. I did look at the M & H tires but the MT are easier to get north of the border. I had the MT 295/45/17 on my 05 Mustang & they hooked pretty good so I figured I would give them a try. I don't expect they will last too long so if they don't work out I can try something else next time.

cclark

Established Member
That's awesome man, pretty cool the 17s fit with no adjustments or changing of the brakes. I agree and would've done the same thing, no sense in changing all that out to fit a 2 inch smaller rim. Not much difference between a 45 and 50 sidewall...think ill be going the same route when I get mine. 18s in the front with just a spacer is awesome!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You can go fast in a street car on these 17-20" DRs, my brother pulled a 1.40 60' on a 305/35/18 (auto NOS/EATON cobra motor in a foxbody)
Good luck, keep us posted.
-J

ILW84U

Established Member
I finally got my DR's mounted & took the car out for a spin. Well in reality there wasn't much spin. These things hook pretty well. I can now actually use first at WOT. Feels like a different car as it sits you back into the seat.

Pic003Large_zps6fafea81.jpg

Pic006Large_zps69b2b9dd.jpg

Bytor

Established Member
That looks really sharp. I can't wait to experience DR's in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread