Minimally invasive stereo fix?

jtfx6552

Established Member
I had the shaker pro in my first GT500. I wasn't a huge fan but it was good enough for me to not feel the need to mess with it.

My new car doesn't have the pro. Story as to why I have a new one is here in case anyone missed it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1004628-Totalled!-Now-What

Before I bought the new one, which was hours away, I read a bunch of posts here that the SP wasn't that much better than the regular and that some actually like it better. I don't want to insult anyone who like the base system, we all have our own ears and tastes, but geez, I hate it. Had i known I may have went for a different car.

The only thing I hate worse than a crappy system is rattles, lol. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, but these modern clip together interiors aren't really made to be taken apart after they've been put together, and that its very difficult and may involve some luck to put them back together without rattling.

I read a bunch of threads here on stereo upgrades, and I usually get lost somewhere. From what I gather, the non SP cars have no harness that goes to the trunk, so to put a sub in there or new full range amps requires signal and power wires run to the trunk?

Some say just changing the speakers is good enough. How hard is that to do? Do those rings on the door speakers come off and can the speaker replaced from there? Or do the door panels have to come off?

I guess Shelby American doesn't have a kit for the 14 non SP? Or would one of these work?

http://www.ShelbyStore.com/category-s/61.htm

Last edited:

JeremyR

Established Member
I'm not sure what you'll need either I wish I new more about stereo installation myself. A couple years ago I took my Raptor to this place that does that stuff. I basically walked around the store and listened to all the stereos, amp,speakers,etc...I picked out the stuff I liked and when I asked for a price he told me $4000. I about fell over and walked out of the store. I was kind of keeping track of everything in my head, he was charging me about $2000 in labor.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
Do not get the Kicker door subs unless you want even less bass! I have the Shaker pro and wanted to improve the fronts and bought Infinity's for the upper door and the Shelby Kicker door subs thru Shelby store. Pulled the kickers back out a week later as bass was anemic. With the new forum I can't find my old post (I did a write up about 11 mths ago) but I'm in your shoes (and want to be minimally invasive) I'd replace the 4 main speakers with "high efficiency /high SPL" speakers like the Infinity 6832's I used (whopping $60 per at Amazon) and then get a self contained sub with Amp that has a line level volume deal you can put up front under the steering wheel or somewhere accessible while driving that doesn't require a lot of modifications. Some of you might laugh but I did this with an 8" Amplified Bazooka and the "volume" knob back 15 yrs ago on my Olds Aurora (while retaining the rest of the factory system) and it worked really well. Was able to turn the bass down on the regular speakers and pump it up on the sub. I really wish the Shaker Pro sub had an easy way to just adjust the sound level of the sub vs. all the bass and/or fading it as I think that would make this system a lot better.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Do not get the Kicker door subs unless you want even less bass! I have the Shaker pro and wanted to improve the fronts and bought Infinity's for the upper door and the Shelby Kicker door subs thru Shelby store. Pulled the kickers back out a week later as bass was anemic. With the new forum I can't find my old post (I did a write up about 11 mths ago) but I'm in your shoes (and want to be minimally invasive) I'd replace the 4 main speakers with "high efficiency /high SPL" speakers like the Infinity 6832's I used (whopping $60 per at Amazon) and then get a self contained sub with Amp that has a line level volume deal you can put up front under the steering wheel or somewhere accessible while driving that doesn't require a lot of modifications. Some of you might laugh but I did this with an 8" Amplified Bazooka and the "volume" knob back 15 yrs ago on my Olds Aurora (while retaining the rest of the factory system) and it worked really well. Was able to turn the bass down on the regular speakers and pump it up on the sub. I really wish the Shaker Pro sub had an easy way to just adjust the sound level of the sub vs. all the bass and/or fading it as I think that would make this system a lot better.
I assume you're looking for the first thread in these results?

Users who are viewing this thread