milkshake oil

vin1382

Established Member
Havent had the cobra out for about 2 months as the weather has sucked around here. took it out for about 1 hour yesterday and when i came back home i noticed that the small oil leak its had on the ground (stupid canton oil pan leaks), it was a milky greenish. so i checked the dipstick and that was milky with coolant as well.

Car has no smoke, no tick, no hesitating, stalling, rough idles, etc. i got on it a few times yesterday before i came home and the power is just as strong as ever (have a 2.93 pulley + intake + exhaust). i also checked the coolant level and its full.

Will be taknig it in for diagnosis next week...but any speculative ideas? does the lack of any other issues point to oil cooler problem i read about?

hoping heads arent trashed. not what i wanted this xmas :(

vin1382

Established Member
head gasket

wont that usually cause it to overheat and smoke?

if its the headgasket, what kind of labor time are we lookin at to drop the engine and pull the heads?

what are other options besides headgasket that will cause oil/coolant to mix? warped head, block crack, ???

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yeah just reading the thread heading I was like "oh damn"! You better get that thing checked out soon. If it has coolant in there you need to get it out asap!

vin1382

Established Member
Yeah just reading the thread heading I was like "oh damn"! You better get that thing checked out soon. If it has coolant in there you need to get it out asap!

sucks, i hardly ever drive it, and when i do drive it im usually pretty light on it.

vin1382

Established Member
Was there any oil in your coolant reservoir?

nope, was regular color and full. the only symptom of anything ive seen so far is coolant in oil. no other symptoms at all. granted, i havent driven it much since it started. the last time i used it 2 months ago, i checked the oil drip on teh driveway then and it was normal oil color.. and the only driving i did that day was just to the gym and back about 20 minutes total of driving. so it either happened during that day, or it happened at some point while sitting.

dredg9

Established Member
if the oil is really milky dont drive it, coolant in oil=rod bearing failure

vin1382

Established Member
Water in the oil.
Are there bubbles on the dipstick?
You can't compress H2O.
Jeff

no, no bubbles. and yes i will not be driving the car until its diagnosed and fixed. when i bring it in, it will be towed. last i want is warped heads and a popped engine.

if it turns out one of the heads are warped, what is more cost effective, getting it machined and fixing valves, or just getting a new head?

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
no, no bubbles. and yes i will not be driving the car until its diagnosed and fixed. when i bring it in, it will be towed. last i want is warped heads and a popped engine.

if it turns out one of the heads are warped, what is more cost effective, getting it machined and fixing valves, or just getting a new head?

most likely a new head, although if i would personally look into steggie doing some work with your heads if that is the case.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
You should get the oil analyzed to see if it is coolant or just water condensing in the block. That will help you narrow down on the head gasket since you said you don't drive it much.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
You should get the oil analyzed to see if it is coolant or just water condensing in the block. That will help you narrow down on the head gasket since you said you don't drive it much.

another good idea.
if you're taking it to a shop or dealership, this is not something they can do (to my knowledge). there are specialty labs you can find in the inet that you can send a sample to, and they'll send you back a long print of everything in the oil, what's out of normal operating parameters, etc, etc..

vin1382

Established Member

water condensing in the block, how does that happen?

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your car. My son's Mustang had the same situation, water in the oil but no oil in the radiator. It was the right side head gasket, it blew out between the center two cylinders. He replaced the heads and put it back together and it was fine. Bottom end appears to be fine.

vin1382

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your car. My son's Mustang had the same situation, water in the oil but no oil in the radiator. It was the right side head gasket, it blew out between the center two cylinders. He replaced the heads and put it back together and it was fine. Bottom end appears to be fine.

you know, i was looking at the car before, and its very slightly moist on the passensger side head.

what did the ordeal end up costing him?

Got Boost?

Established Member
you know, i was looking at the car before, and its very slightly moist on the passensger side head.

what did the ordeal end up costing him?

i fixed it myself, was on a 5.0 so parts were cheaper and labor wasnt so extensive. i spent about $500 on the ordeal, but i added alot while i was at it and had the heads rebuilt.

pull you plugs after turning the motor over, look for two adjacent wet ones. also if it is severe enough, when you spin the motor over with the plugs out...coolent can spill out the plug holes, as it did with mine. if those fail, run a compression test, lack of compression on two adjacent cylinders is a good indicator. i would avoid turning the car over too much without the plugs out untill your sure. hydrolocking the motor if it is still o.k. is the last think you want to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread