Military people come here..

Ironhand

Banned
Depends on what you want to do in life. Just understand, BS comes no matter what branch you join. And because noone else has said it, Go Army!

Hooah! lol Had to on that one.

To the OP: Im deployed right now myself and its ok. Also, my current unit is filled full of BS and some units are better then others. Ive been switched to 3 different units since the beginning of the year. Cant wait to get back to my normal unit and kick my LT in the throat..(Dont tell him I said that LOL)

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
air force cop here. from what i've seen and hear. the air force is chilllllll as hell. Just like a normal life except you wear the same uniform as everybody else, everyday.

As for being a cop... it sucks. It's way different from the other jobs the air foce has. except for the special ops.. that sucks to. but more rewarding than being a ID checking cop.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would say check out the Coast Guard. Seems as though most people forget about us lol. By far we are the easiest of all of the branches. But the problem is that there is a waiting list to get in. The order I would go is Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Army, Marines. But that's just me. I still believe that there is a long ass waiting list for the Coast Guard. So if you score high enough on the ASVAB get into the Air Force. Only problem with the AF is that they promote slowly depending on the rate..

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
For a person in a bad way in their life the military can be the best thing or the worst thing ever. Any branch you will join will change you in some way shape or form. I tell everyone that it is what you make of it, meaning if you are a shithead going in and dont conform it will bite you both in and possibly out. You dont want to be that guy who ****s around and gets a DD. Ive known one and his life is over basically. To me it sounds like you are looking for structure and family. I can speak for myself, join the Army or Marine Corps in a combat arms MOS. I know the rivalry and shit talking blah blah blah between the Army and Marines, but one thing i know for sure that doesnt separate us is that in those MOS everyone relies on each other and are basically family and you probably wont find as much a closeness or a sense of belonging in any MOS other than a combat arms one.

Last edited:

jrice1986

Established Member
Go air force. Im a c-130 crew chief and love my career. Get to travel when you want to make extra money. the tours to the desert are short and we stay in top of the line hotels on the way to and from. Plus we dont have to stay in tents once we get there. Best career move i have ever made is joining the military. Dont be scared just do it. very rewarding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
I am considering the military. i am not sure what branch yet. and my reasoning most will say is flawed.. but o well.. i need some experts that have experiance on the pros and cons of joining... what are they? i know death..

would it be wrong for me to talk you into going artillery? :-D... hence my id, it is an awesome branch... you get to blow buildings/bad guys up with lethal ammo... think about it! :thumbsup:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
IMO it depends on what you want to do..... some occfields are only available in certain branches. Plus if you are looking at a career you might want to choose a faster promoting MOS... if you are looking for some good skills and then punch out for college etc then there are some fields that provide great experience and training but not so much for promotions.....

What are your goals? Where do you see yourself in a yr, 5 yrs, 10 yrs etc. I know it's a lot to think about but it matters.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
would it be wrong for me to talk you into going artillery? :-D... hence my id, it is an awesome branch... you get to blow buildings/bad guys up with lethal ammo... think about it! :thumbsup:

Or EOD, Combat Engineers, Sniper (although I don't think Sniper is an entry level MOS- at least not in the Corps it's not).

OP-

Depends on your "lifestyle" too. If you're the type that likes free time, and opportunities to go to school off duty etc.... then these MOS's are not for you. If you like being out in the sticks, getting dirty and spending lots of quality time in far off places then these jobs are for you.

Other "high speed" jobs. Intel, Counter intel, SigInt, Linguist, Special Forces (any of them)...

There are so many choices that unless you give more info on what direction you want to go it's almost impossible to help you.

YouTube - UnitedStatesNavy's Channel

YouTube - Navy Recruiting Video

Two good reasons to join the Navy. Im an E-6 with just over 8 years in. If I play my cards right Ill be an E-7 with 8 years in :)

Good on you but you are definitely the exception- NOT the rule.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You are doing the right thing by searching around. So many go in blind. SGM Army here. I got a couple years in myself, 27 in Apr. Special Operations is a fun life if you like excitement and traveling. If you want to start a family I'd try another specialty.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
go air force. air force is as close to civilian as you're going to get.

and if you don't like to work, don't do anything in the maintenance field. get yourself a pussy desk job in finance or something. i have to say that to save all the maintenance guys out there. i worked with some of the guys that only picked that job because it sounded cool. they're a pain in the ass to work with. but it's funny watching them get stuck doing bitch work like draining fuel tanks. lol.

Another US Air Force guy here.

IMO, I'd say going into aircraft maintenance can be a double edged sword... It is incredibly rewarding to be the guy that fixes the plane to get it off the ramp. On the other side, it can lead to some long days. Some people just aren't cut out for it.

When I went in, I wanted to work on aircraft, not make sandwiches or be a clerk of some sort, aka being a "non-er". I didn't want to call my dad up, tell him I enlisted and that I was gonna make sandwiches for a living. Some people make the statement "yeah, but they get paid the same as you" about certain AFSCs... To them, I just say that whenever I get out, I'll have been to numerous schools, conferences, had/conducted countless hours of training, troubleshooting and fixing aircraft. I'll leave with an awesome skill set and knowledge.

NO-Blk, you know that its usually the crew chiefs that do the grunt work... kick tire! Wipe strut! I kid...

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Another former crew chief here. Take it from me, if you want to become a crew chief and work on aircraft, go heavies!

Working on fighters is cool and all, but after you wipe the drool off your face from your first encounter up close they are a pain to work on and you don't always get to travel with them when they go. If you work on the heavies you may get to fly on your aircraft after you fix it.

Also, you get opportunities to fly into / over mission areas and get your whole month tax free.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
USAF here. im actually and SF looking to transfer but have not decided yet. I would say go air force, or even army and consider ROTC as well. even the national guard both ways will pay for your school, and you can work full time as a "guardsman". as everyone is saying, what are YOU looking to get out of it. Dont worry about dying unless you join as infantry. I was just deployed, and we worked with army special forces, and even they were not really in any harm. its ALL about your job, what you do...and WHERE you get deployed.
personally i would like to attempt cross training to Air force special operations, but the two more years of "training" is just not appealing to me. I am almost finished with my degree, at that point i may commission.
again....its all about what you want. a FUN job in the air force, that is in need right now, and i have NEVER heard one bad thing about, is Boom operator. you will go all over, get flight/hazard pay and not get "shot at"/mortared. haha. trust me that sucks.
just explore all your options and ask yourself what YOU are looking for. Dont do it for anyone else.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
oh and as far as having a 32 to be a cop in the AF, its true HAHA. we have many many retards which scares me...because the lack of common sense with a job where you deploy with heavy weapons is not a good combination!

my vote..? Go AF or army Intel if you can. Not because it sounds cool, but because ive never heard anything but good from that field.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Or EOD, Combat Engineers, Sniper (although I don't think Sniper is an entry level MOS- at least not in the Corps it's not).

When did they start having EOD as an entry level MOS?
I'm an AF dep'r waiting and I'm going in to EOD. When I signed my papers back in March the USMC didn't allow anyone to go EOD with out being a corporal or sergeant.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I suggest thinking of a general idea of what type of job you want/are willing to do. Go to each branch's recruiter and ask them what they have to offer for that specific type of job.
Upon joining the military you really do need to think far ahead to what you want to get out of it after surrendering those years of your life to this service. When choosing a specific job, think/consider a few things:
-civilian equivalency/does this job mean anything going back to civilian life? level of civilian education credit for training completion?
-does it allow me more/less time to complete college compared to other jobs?
-do you have debt or ANY criminal history? Some jobs require security clearance, recruiter wont tell you that and you wont know until your half way through boot camp and now your stuck having to take a crap job because you cant get a clearance for the job you actually wanted.
-where do people in this specific job spend more of their service? sea, shore, deployed?
-jobs that promote faster, may promote faster for a reason and often equivelate to less on the outside, forcing you to stay in longer to pay the bills. If you plan on staying in until retirement then fine but otherwise... Same thing goes for reenlistment bonuses. Don't let people sell you on a job based on that, it could reflect a job that may have poor retention for a reason.
-If you're one of those spec ops motivators you better be hot sh-t physically fit and not one of those people who's already broke your bones and been sick all the time cause you're just going to waste your time and the military's like half the kids I process out of here all the time.
Overall, don't let the recruiters sell you only what they choose to. Go in there with some sort of idea of what you want or you will just be filling a position on a whim based on them getting incentives to slip you into certain jobs, not based on your own personal benefit. They may even lie to you and tell you a job you want isnt open. YOU have more bargaining power than you think. Tell them you won't join unless they give you that school/job. The detailer at MEPS will lie to you to siphon you into crappier jobs with all the other clueless high school kids. Demand a certain job you are eligible for with your ASVAB and nothing less. You are prime cut of meat. The military wants your time and you have a lot of potential time to give that they can get out of you.
Go to all the service branches websites. Search for the jobs descriptions because they are all there. Find something you generally like. Then locate someone who actually does that job to find out what they actually do IN REAL LIFE. Then if its what you want go to the recruiter and start the process meanwhile demanding only that job.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
When did they start having EOD as an entry level MOS?
I'm an AF dep'r waiting and I'm going in to EOD. When I signed my papers back in March the USMC didn't allow anyone to go EOD with out being a corporal or sergeant.

Sorry- I didn't mean to give the impression you could go EOD as en entry level MOS in the Corps. I replying to FFE suggesting there are numerous other occupations where you can blow shit up and cause lots of hate and discontent. I know in the Corps Arty is not the fastest promoting MOS...... Neither is EOD for that matter however the bonuses are pretty high.

You def can NOT go EOD as an initial MOS as a Marine. I think AF and Army you can.... not sure about Navy. The main reason is they want to make sure you are a good Marine first and have the maturity to handle the day to day of a Marine and a Tech.

EOD is one of the smallest MOS's in the Marine Corps and is very selective (allegedly) on who they take. I had a school seat and was about to ship out until the wifey found out it was the most deployed MOS in the Corps. Bye bye EOD for me.

Anywho- some things I found out. (maybe there is a EOD Tech that will chime in.) It's known to be one of the most difficult and intense schools in the DOD. It's open to all branches- some branches, like the Navy for example, have their own follow on schools. It will take anywhere from 6-10 months to complete the school depending on how you test out etc. One thing that you may not know is you will not be allowed to execute orders until your (not sure if it's TS or SCI) clearance comes through. There have been some cases where they either keep you at the school for the full term of your contract or they send you to your unit and you work shit jobs until your clearance comes through. This is also true for other MOS's requiring clearances..... AND the same thing happens if you lose your clearance for w/e reason. You will not be allowed access to sensitive material until your clearance is reinstated- IE you will work in one of the "S" shops til they figure out what to do with you.

GL- I've heard nothing but good things about EOD.

As far as the Corps goes, fastest promoting MOS with the best bonuses I've seen recently has been the SigInt occfield. There are also numerous opportunities out side the Corps once you get out. Communications Tech, Intel and Counter Intel also fall in this category. Nothing wrong with Grunts our Aircraft Mechs but as far as promotions, bonuses and outside opportunities they fall short by comparison.

Last edited:

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
Join the Marine Corps.

Travel to exotic locations such as..

29 Palms, California.
Cherry Point, North Carolina
Iraq
Afghanistan
Kuwait
Baltimore

:banana: