Military Guys, need your help.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here goes...

I was sworn in august 29th into the army, I went to meps and lied a little just so i can get in. I lied about my knee, i tore my ACL about 7 years ago and wasn't able to get surgery until i was done growing. I thought it would be fine since it wasnt really giving me trouble besides just throbbing every now and again.
A few weeks ago I had a pt test at my drill and had to run a mile, about a 1/4 mile into the run my knee feels like its on fire and a unbearable pain causing me to run a 11 minute mile. My question is, what are my options? I dont want to get out, but there is no way i can get through basic training.

I feel horrible for lying but I really wanted in, now i see it was a dumb mistake and I should have never joined with my knee as it is. I have no insurance to pay for a surgery, The army wont pay for it because it was a pre existing condition obviously, so i'm just stuck, i know this is my fault and i feel stupid even asking.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Did you tell them what happened to your knee after the run? If so you're SOL! The army won't pay for anything if that was the case. At this point I really doubt they are going to do anything for you...just a take care once you are back in the civilian world.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Did you tell them what happened to your knee after the run? If so you're SOL! The army won't pay for anything if that was the case. At this point I really doubt they are going to do anything for you...just a take care once you are back in the civilian world.

No..Not yet. Thats why im nervous about this. Because I lied to the people at meps. I'm not worried on getting it paid for, If I have to get out thats fine. But I don't want to dissapoint my commander.

Ronias

Established Member
go in try basic training. let your knee implode. get help through military and finish basic training?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
go in try basic training. let your knee implode. get help through military and finish basic training?

Thats what I was going to do, but if I did that then I would get recycled and have a profile through my next cycle of basic. So pretty much would have to watch my company graduate and have to do the 10 weeks all over again.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Thats what I was going to do, but if I did that then I would get recycled and have a profile through my next cycle of basic. So pretty much would have to watch my company graduate and have to do the 10 weeks all over again.

It may seem like a big deal now, but if you really want to get in I say go for it. People lie all the time when enlisting, a recruiter's creed is "No, None, and Never".

I don't think that a torn ACL from 7 years ago would have disqualified you automatically.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
It may seem like a big deal now, but if you really want to get in I say go for it. People lie all the time when enlisting, a recruiter's creed is "No, None, and Never".

I don't think that a torn ACL from 7 years ago would have disqualified you automatically.

Well the acl may not have dq'd me. I'm just afraid i'm going to dq myself by making it worse and get in trouble for lying.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
come clean. even if you go and they fix it you never know what may happen with it. it will never be as strong as it should be and if it goes out on you in the middle of a fire fight then you just screwed over your buddy to your left and your right. kudos on you for wanting to join and serve your country but just come clean with them.

dogmush

Established Member
You're done. Hate to say it, but there it is. Come clean, tell the folks at MEPS you can't run a mile. Unfortunatly your first Integrity check came early. There's a reason we require minumum standards, and you don't meet them. Sorry.

Good news, is not having been to basic yet they'll probably just muster you out, no harm, no foul.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I say tell the truth and find another career. We don't need anymore liars in the military.

+1

Also, what if you find yourself in a combat situation and you have to drag a wounded buddy to safety. What happens when your knee gives out then?

Integrity is an important standard in the military, and you blew that by lying to the folks at MEPS. Now the govt (taxpayers) will waste countless thousands of dollars training you and providing you medical care, and you still might not be able to perform the duties needed.

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Bottom line, if you can't run a mile at drill before you leave for basic and ait, don't waste the governments money. Tell them your condition and you will get an EPTS discharge (existing injury prior to service). It will not look bad on your record. It will be an uncharacterized discharge.

I watched too many people fail in basic due to medical conditions it isn't worth how misrible they will make you if you get hurt.

I made it through basica and ait, was in airbourne and tore my ITB in my knee. They treated me like I faked it. Took me 4 months to do physical theropy and a 2 more just for the discharge paperwork to go though.

203Cree

Established Member
Tell the truth. Worst case you're out until you're better. I doubt you'd be fully disqualified. People that are in tear their knees up all the time. I personally just got a permanent profile for mine, blew it out twice while I was overseas.

Your other option is to cycle anti inflammatory and glucosamine, along with a fairly aggressive rehab program.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It sounds like you'll get dropped. If they drop you for being decietful about the injury then you will likely not be able to go back in. If they drop for the injury only with no mention of it being a pre-existing condition you may be able to come back when your injury heals CORRECTLY. Get some money, get the surgery done, rehab properly and completely- then see what happens.

I've seen this story a quite a few times but always after they get through boot camp and are already in the fleet. Some get slammed and put out- others get fixed and move on. It's a crap shoot- a lot depends on the higher ups and how THEY want to handle it, which not only do you have no control over- you won't know until AFTER they have made their final decision. GL

NXSVTCOBRA

It sounds like you'll get dropped. If they drop you for being decietful about the injury then you will likely not be able to go back in. If they drop for the injury only with no mention of it being a pre-existing condition you may be able to come back when your injury heals CORRECTLY. Get some money, get the surgery done, rehab properly and completely- then see what happens.

I've seen this story a quite a few times but always after they get through boot camp and are already in the fleet. Some get slammed and put out- others get fixed and move on. It's a crap shoot- a lot depends on the higher ups and how THEY want to handle it, which not only do you have no control over- you won't know until AFTER they have made their final decision. GL

if he can't run a mile, or run a mile in 11 minutes, he's not gonna make it past reception more than likely.. APFT standards for the Army is a 2 mile run in 15:54 (for the bare minimum of 60 points) assuming he's 17-24 years old. Gotta remember once in basic he's gonna have to make multiple ruck marches and several multiple mile runs. I'd say quit while you're ahead and try and get better and THEN come back.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here goes...

I was sworn in august 29th into the army, I went to meps and lied a little just so i can get in. I lied about my knee, i tore my ACL about 7 years ago and wasn't able to get surgery until i was done growing. I thought it would be fine since it wasnt really giving me trouble besides just throbbing every now and again.
A few weeks ago I had a pt test at my drill and had to run a mile, about a 1/4 mile into the run my knee feels like its on fire and a unbearable pain causing me to run a 11 minute mile. My question is, what are my options? I dont want to get out, but there is no way i can get through basic training.

I feel horrible for lying but I really wanted in, now i see it was a dumb mistake and I should have never joined with my knee as it is. I have no insurance to pay for a surgery, The army wont pay for it because it was a pre existing condition obviously, so i'm just stuck, i know this is my fault and i feel stupid even asking.

the Army lets you on the computer during Basic.....
:bored:

I got 1 30second Phone call to let people know i was alive back on Parris Island...

My suggestion to you would be to explain whats wrong with you to your Drill SGT, and go from there. If you medically cant perform they will know. if you are just trying to bitch out, they will know that aswell.

Last edited:

cw1970

Established Member
the Army lets you on the computer during Basic.....
:bored:

I got 1 30second Phone call to let people know i was alive back on Parris Island...

He's not in boot camp yet...probably PT ing in delayed entry.

On another note, Semper Fi my brother :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread