Mileage Discrepancy on Title... Please help!!!

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I recently bought a 2002 Ford F250 XLT CC 4x4 diesel from the auction and it has a mileage discrepancy on the title. The electronic cluster shows 110k but the title shows 287k. Any ideas on some of the possibilities on how this happened? Obviously the truck has an electronic cluster so what all would have to be changed to get the cluster to read different (computer, cluster, motor) and why would they change it??? I knew this when I purchased the truck but I'm just looking for reasons as to how they could be different. Thanks!!!

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
The speedo probly went out, and they changed it and thats where it came from.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
So the cluster is the only thing that holds the correct mileage??? Wouldn't the computer have record of that?

MissGT23

Established Member
I recently bought a 2002 Ford F250 XLT CC 4x4 diesel from the auction and it has a mileage discrepancy on the title. The electronic cluster shows 110k but the title shows 287k. Any ideas on some of the possibilities on how this happened? Obviously the truck has an electronic cluster so what all would have to be changed to get the cluster to read different (computer, cluster, motor) and why would they change it??? I knew this when I purchased the truck but I'm just looking for reasons as to how they could be different. Thanks!!!

When putting different motor in, cluster can't tell know how many miles motor has.If that's what you are asking?

Only thing that was changed was cluster. Probably the reason Boomer said.

MissGT23

Established Member
So the cluster is the only thing that holds the correct mileage??? Wouldn't the computer have record of that?

More than likely no. I can't remember if computer has to be re-programmed for that year so that cluster can work properly.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Yes, because I could put a lower mileage cluster in my truck if I really wanted too, and it would read what ever that cluster says.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
How was the truck sold to you at the auction? TMU? Auctions are tough to deal with . I work at a small one in NJ ansd mileage discrepancies take a long time to correct.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
It depends on the make and model... For example, a 2002 Chevy Cavalier stores mileage in the BCM, not the cluster. You could swap clusters all day and it would still read the original mileage... BUT, if you swap the BCM with a lower mile BCM that would effectively chance the mileage.

If you have any tech friends, have them look it up on alldata, that should give you a concrete answer.

MissGT23

Established Member
It depends on the make and model... For example, a 2002 Chevy Cavalier stores mileage in the BCM, not the cluster. You could swap clusters all day and it would still read the original mileage... BUT, if you swap the BCM with a lower mile BCM that would effectively chance the mileage.

If you have any tech friends, have them look it up on alldata, that should give you a concrete answer.

Ford clusters don't work that way. They either have to be sent to ford to update mileage or when ordering one, mileage has to be on the order.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
They could have had it replaced because the odometer was not working or just got one from a junk yard with lower mileage on it. I checked fmcdealer and here is some info about the cluster.
Odometer

A million-mile tamper-resistant odometer is standard. New speedometers have a reset table odometer.

NOTE: When installing a new instrument cluster some state laws require that the new odometer must register the same as the removed odometer.

If the actual vehicle mileage cannot be determined, the repair centers are able to supply odometers set to "0" miles. An odometer mileage sticker must display the estimated vehicle mileage and be affixed to the driver door jamb. The odometer mileage sticker is available through the parts distribution center.

bodge323

Established Member
Maybe an idiot filled out the title in the past and bsed the mileage? Does the DMV actually verify the odometer vs what is written on the title?

s_x_i

Established Member
Was the truck not yellow lighted? At the auctions I buy from, if it's sold green light, there will be arbitration available. If it's got a yellow light, approach with caution and if there's a red light, it's as is, absolute.

I only ever try to buy green light stuff, check with the auction on their policy. If they announced it as it was going over the block, then you're sol.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Those clusters are notorious for the odometer display failing. It was probably replaced with a junkyard cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread