might put stock mid pipe back on. will it perform better?

nasty99

Established Member
currently i have shorty headers, bbk catless xpipe, and slp catback. its actually the loudest street car ive heard around my area and im not even saying that because i own it. i get compliments on the way it sounds all the time its just gotten old to me. its actually getting annoying. im thinking of keeping the headers, but replace the midpipe back to stock and replace the slp with flowmaster mufflers and dump it at the axle. im wondering if i have the cats back on it maybe ill get more back pressure and better performance?? and also hopefully give it a deeper tone? lemme get some opinions please!!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
It will hurt your performance quit a bit if you throw those back on there. Your first problem would be the SLP, those are stupid loud if you have the LM1 System. If you want to make it a bit quieter then throw some High flow cats on it and buy some LM2's and swap them out. With the Highflow Cats it will give it a deeper tone and quiet it down a lot for you. If it is too loud still swap to lm2's like I said :beer:

nasty99

Established Member
It will hurt your performance quit a bit if you throw those back on there. Your first problem would be the SLP, those are stupid loud if you have the LM1 System. If you want to make it a bit quieter then throw some High flow cats on it and buy some LM2's and swap them out. With the Highflow Cats it will give it a deeper tone and quiet it down a lot for you. If it is too loud still swap to lm2's like I said :beer:

hmm makes sense. however, my problem is that i got free flowmaster mufflers from my friend, and i also have a rear bumper that has NO exhaust cutouts and it doesnt say ANYTHING on it. so its a sleeper from the back. so i was thinking of dumping it with those flows. but the spot where the mufflers would hang from have no hangers so theyd just be hanging freely if i keep the xpipe on it. and i dont feel like getting a huge mess of welded hangers underneath. idk what to do..

zPipes

Established Member
arent flows deeper than lm1? I have delta 40's and I think they are pretty deep.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
arent flows deeper than lm1? I have delta 40's and I think they are pretty deep.

Any Chambered muffler normally is deeper then any straight through design. Flow's are known for there "deep" sounding muffler. Free...well you can't beat that I say :beer:

nasty99

Established Member
Typically an H pipe will have a deeper tone than an X pipe.

I'd pick up a used catted h-pipe or x-pipe, no way would I put the restrictive stock piece back on.

so are you guys saying that the stock mid pipe would deffinitely affect my performance in a negative way if rplacing the xpipe? im about to just replace my catback with the mufflers and stick with the xpipe. like i said before though the issue with that is finding out where to hang my mufflers from.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Only reason I wouldnt go with flowmasters is because they DRONE so much. I have them on my 02 GT 89 Mclaren and have driven an 04 cobra with them. Personal experience makes me never want them again.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Yes, the stock catted h-pipe is the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust system.

Putting that back on will definitely affect your performance.

Users who are viewing this thread