Might be getting into '10 GT500 - have some questions

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Car is new and I should be getting a very good deal. I'm wondering what, if any, issues/TSBs, etc I should be aware of if I end up picking up this car. I'm not sure if this is an early-run car, if that makes any difference or not.

Don't know a ton about these details, as until recently, I was intending to pick up a '12 GT, but this just kinda fell into my lap. Thanks for any help!

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I do not read enough to know if there are any TSB's but the 14 months I've owned my 2010 have been trouble free. The quality is far superior than the 2003 Cobra I owned and handling is a lot better. I bought mine the same time the 2011's were rolling out. It's a damned nice car. Heap better than a Camaro in every way.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I don't have the dreaded shift problem lol but if you could and I know this might be out the window but why not look for the 11. Not knocking the 10 but I think it was a one year run thing that doesn't really have a focus. I think I see they say 07-09 and then 11-12. Plus there are enough differences to justify a few thousand. Just my .0001 cents that's redeemable nowhere

Grabber07'

Established Member
My '10 has given me Zero trouble motor wise, but have had the clear coming off one of my wheels and my drivers side muffler blow out.

Been waiting on a new muffler now for a month due to the one year run

AlanSVT

Established Member
Lol I love my 1 year focus car.

1-2 shift was know in both 2010-2011. Not sure about 12s but I'm sure they will experience it as well unless they changed something which I hope. Now not all cars experience the 1-2 shift grind.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Car is new and I should be getting a very good deal. I'm wondering what, if any, issues/TSBs, etc I should be aware of if I end up picking up this car. I'm not sure if this is an early-run car, if that makes any difference or not.

Don't know a ton about these details, as until recently, I was intending to pick up a '12 GT, but this just kinda fell into my lap. Thanks for any help!

New..like in been sitting at a dealership?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm in no way knocking it but just saying it was a one year thing. I believe the 10 is like the 94-95 GT platform. Only made the one run and the aftermarket didn't really take to it. Might find yourself trying to see what parts fit like 07-09 or the 11s and up. If money is tight (don't know your situation) I have seen some heavily modded cars go for around the price of a new one. I would shoot for the 11 is possibe but do what you feel comfortabe with. At the end of the day you have to live with it and we are just opinions on the cyberweb

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Is there a way of fixing the 1-2 shift grinding, if a car develops it?

Also, while I'm at it, I was intending to get a Borla S-type catback w/crossover for the '12 GT when I was certain that was the car I was going for. What I like is it sounds great, but from the owners I've talked to, does a good job of quelling drone. I have a 3 year old who would be riding periodically in the back, and don't want to deafen him haha.

What are my exhaust options that might fit that same bill? I haven't been able to find many 10-11 GT500 exhaust clips on youtube - certainly way fewer than for the new 5.0.

ponyboy96

Established Member
From my understanding, 90%+ of the parts that fit an 11 will work on a 10. Idk why everyone is always hatin on the 10s. To me it's the better choice with the iron block if you're planning to mod. Btw, the 94-95 Mustang GT is the more desirable car out of the 94-98 body style.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yeah desirable but hard to get parts for because it was pretty much a hybrid. It's the body that was developed for the 4.6 but since it wasn't ready they carried over the 302 for the two years. Makes parts a headache. Right down to simple things like the fuel lines. Hard to get parts for the 94-95 you end up using parts from the 93 but having to modify things. Not sure of the 10 but depending on how far you want to go with the power the 11. It's not proven what it will and won't take.

I know a lot of people are pushing over 700 and have no problems. Don't know how far you want to go but my biggest problem has been hooking up on the streets. Have the track pretty much decent but for everyday driving 700+ gets the job done. The lighter motor and ability to crank up the fuel pressure is a plus. Not to mention the electric steering is a plus lol.

Grabber07'

Established Member
I'm in no way knocking it but just saying it was a one year thing. I believe the 10 is like the 94-95 GT platform. Only made the one run and the aftermarket didn't really take to it. Might find yourself trying to see what parts fit like 07-09 or the 11s and up. If money is tight (don't know your situation) I have seen some heavily modded cars go for around the price of a new one. I would shoot for the 11 is possibe but do what you feel comfortabe with. At the end of the day you have to live with it and we are just opinions on the cyberweb

Not sure how the "aftermarket didnt really take to it". There are plenty of parts out for the '10. Like someone else stated 90% of the parts that fit the '11+ fit the '10. The rest of the parts are the same as the 07-09.... so not really a big deal IMO.

Down the road there will be no problem sourcing parts for the 2010...and nowhere near the 94-95 issues.

The only thing the '11 has going for it over the '10 is the Aluminum block (which dont get me wrong is a big deal to some). I myself dont road race my car so I really wont see the benifit. Also the SVTPP package was offered which is a very good suspension upgrade...(I plan on going with the FRPP Suspension package), so that really isnt a big deal as well.

Its all preference.

OP if you want to save some dough dont hesitate to pick up a 2010. If your a hard core road racer that demands to have a car that is 102lbs lighter then get the '11.

BigDan

Established Member
The only thing the '11 has going for it over the '10 is the Aluminum block.

I myself dont road race my car so I really wont see the benifit. Also the SVTPP package really isnt a big deal as well.

The 2011+ has a little more going for it then just the Aluminum block like

*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Improved mufflers with more aggressive tone
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
*Improved under body aero dynamics
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Wideband o2's?
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline
*Optional glass roof
*Blind spot side view mirrors.
*extra sound deadening material

all standard :thumbsup:

Go drive both if you dont believe the hype. Just about everyone agrees that the 2011+ feels like a completely different car.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Thanks BigDan I knew of a few but now I'm going to look at mine again tomorrow. I can only compare it to the 08 ( Brother's) I knew it was enough to go after the 11. If you have a great deal get it. I knew it was more than the iron block which has a lot of people a little nervous about it.

Grabber07'

Established Member
The 2011+ has a little more going for it then just the Aluminum block like

*Electric steering (like it but dont need it)
*Silver finish on SC (Like the black better..has no perf value)
*Blue power coat valve covers (blue... no perf value)
*Improved exhaust manifolds (larger exhaust...yes easy fix)
*Larger exhaust diameter (again easy fix and most change it anyways)
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe (X does just fine)
*Painted rear end (I can paint my own)
*Finned aluminum diff cover (ok soo there are fins...)
*Improved brake cooling (not a big deal to me)
*Auto start ignition (not a big deal)
*40% larger inter cooler (I have the C&R and most '11 owners change this too)
*HID's standard (my lights are just fine)
*No gas guzzler tax (Used cars dont have this)
*Improved mufflers with more aggressive tone ('10s sound good and most change mufflers anyways)
*Flip up/ down rear headrests (dont like the headrests)
*Improved under body aero dynamics (Not a big difference)
*Bigger faster more complex computer (Effects what? I run the same HP numbers as the '11)
*Wideband o2's? (I do like this, but the aftermarket has great options)
*New colors (Lots of great colors in both years)
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop. (The '11 Still has wheel hop, trust me)
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp (pulley swap)
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump (I like this but is not needed until going for big HP #'s)
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys (Dont know of anyone that will use it)
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline (Still have not seen any HP # differences between the two. Mod for mod identicle)
*Optional glass roof (Most dont want this due to weight)
*Blind spot side view mirrors. (yeah about that)
*extra sound deadening material (Thats all good, but I like hearing the supercharger)

all standard :thumbsup:

Go drive both if you dont believe the hype. Just about everyone agrees that the 2011+ feels like a completely different car.

See my notes above sir (and just for reference I know both cars very well and the differences between the two). I have driven a 2011 GT500 many times as most in our local club have them...The only thing and I mean ONLY thing I noticed while driving an '11 was the assisted electric steering, which is a nice feature. Power wise and driving wise SAME experience and feel IMO.

Now the SVTPP packages changes things up a bit, but as soon as the FRPP ford racing suspension goes on..thats negated.

Most of those options you listed are honestly not a concern and most people dont go after a car for the blind spot mirrors, flip head rests, blue valve covers, and a different color supercharger, but hey we are all different and want different things.

Dont get me wrong the '11 is a great overall car, but not worth the extra dough to someone like me who doesnt need all the small differences that either will be changed with aftermarket mods or really matter on a road course. Car does what its supposed to do and is an amazing ride. If the price is right on the '10..get the '10 and dont look back

My .2 cents worth

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread