Mid build problem, please lend advice

NC Mystic

Established Member
Eleanor is living up to the name as always. The shop compression tested the motor with the B heads and one of the cylinder was reading 108, not good. He said the car didn't tick when he started it up to pull it into the shop though, where as it ticked like a damn tractor when i parked it 3 years ago. Is there any hope that a valve could have been stuck giving a bad reading on compression? i had head gaskets put on it about 4 years ago (3-4k miles) and it held solid compression and had no scoring on any cylinder walls.

The shop didn't get the motor out today so im stuck here sweating bullitts until monday not knowing if the rotating assembly is solid or not.

My budget for the C head build etc was really all i had to spend on this but if the bottom end is bad then i really have no choice but to rebuild it. The up side is i would have a new motor but it sure would be nice to stay out of it.

If i have to what are the most affordable rod and piston sets? I found mahle rod piston and ring forged sets for $650 on ebay but would love to spend less. It's going to be n/a so i want to keep it close to a 10-1 compression but may as well get forged right? i thought of hunting for use termi pistons but i think the compression would be wrong and if the cylinder need to be honed they may be too small.

some advice would be great, anxiety is getting the best of me.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I don't see any reason you couldn't buy just a set of pistons and re-use your stock rods. Then you're just needing new rings and bearings.

You don't want a 03/04 piston. They're dished and would be the wrong compression ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread