Mickey Thompson Drs

The Good

Established Member
Wow, these are the real deal. GS-D3s were good tires but the wheel spin has been, i want to say eliminated. With the M/Ts the car puts you back and you move forward without losing the back end at all. Very impressed by the grandaddy of performance tires :rockon:

PS they'll be on and ready for the cruise :coolman:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
I've got them for my cobra as well for the street. They hook great - but I got caught in heavy rain coming back from Luis's and they aren't worth a damn in the rain. If I didn't have another vehicle as a daily driver - the DR's would have come off after that incident for street use.

Last edited:

G03SVT

Banned
Antex said:
I've got them for my cobra as well for the street. They hook great - but I got caught in heavy rain coming back from Luis's and they aren't worth a damn in the rain. If I didn't have another vehicle as a daily driver - the DR's would have come off after that incident for street use.

That is the reason I'm sticking with the BFG DR's for street use (plus I don't have a Whipple so they can handle my power lever). Me and Jon left Jason's house about a month or two ago and it was rain/sleet/snow mix and they never slipped or slide the whole way home. I was very surprised.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
I just got a set of BFG DR 275 40/17 for the chromies but I dont think they will be holding the mods. I feel wheel hop comming back

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
G03SVT said:
That is the reason I'm sticking with the BFG DR's for street use (plus I don't have a Whipple so they can handle my power lever). Me and Jon left Jason's house about a month or two ago and it was rain/sleet/snow mix and they never slipped or slide the whole way home. I was very surprised.

This is very surprising! I figured it was just the nature of the DR's, and I'd have to downgrade. What MPH were doing that day? Up to 40-50mph I was okay but anything over that things started getting squirly..

G03SVT

Banned
Antex said:
This is very surprising! I figured it was just the nature of the DR's, and I'd have to downgrade. What MPH were doing that day? Up to 40-50mph I was okay but anything over that things started getting squirly..

I didn't try going over 50mph, but we did 50mph for about 45 minutes in that crap and never once did anything happen.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Miamifan1354 said:
Anyone know if the BFG's DR's are out in a 315 yet?

They have been out for as long as I have been into mustangs.

I have been kicking around the idea of the M/T DRs for the street. What kind of wear mileage are people getting? I got 9k miles out of the 315 nittos so if they are similar to that I think that might be something to look into.

Later

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
JonJ said:
I've never had a problem with DRs (BFG & MT) once I stayed under 55mph, I tried doing 65 once in heavy rain and the rear end started to feel like it was floating.

This is a good summation of what happened with me except I had to stay around 45-50 that day....

Rayzcar

Established Member
Talked to someone with Mickey Thompsons Customer Service today, they will be coming out with a 315/35/17 DR by the end of this years second quarter. Can't wait, that will be my next street tire, the 275's won't fit my 10.5" rims!! :banana:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Rayzcar said:
Talked to someone with Mickey Thompsons Customer Service today, they will be coming out with a 315/35/17 DR by the end of this years second quarter. Can't wait, that will be my next street tire, the 275's won't fit my 10.5" rims!! :banana:
This is the news I've been waiting for Ray! Do you think they'll be like Nitto 315's or BFG 315's? Be nice if they'd fit decently on the 9" stock rims. Otherwise, I'm thinking Hoosier 335's and I'd have to buy some 10.5" chrommies and some spacers.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
postpics.gif

you need to show the new and improved beast

Rayzcar

Established Member
IronTerp said:
This is the news I've been waiting for Ray! Do you think they'll be like Nitto 315's or BFG 315's? Be nice if they'd fit decently on the 9" stock rims. Otherwise, I'm thinking Hoosier 335's and I'd have to buy some 10.5" chrommies and some spacers.

I don't know how they will fit on the stock rims.

I've been thinking about getting the hoosiers myself, but a good friend of mine (working with Herman) tested an Auto Terminator with the 335 Hoosiers on them... They worked well, but still broke loose. He claims that his Mickey Thompson Dr's Hook better (on a car with more HP) even though they are 275/40's. That is what prompted me to call Mickey Thompson to see if they had any plans on releasing a 315/35. If there 275's hook better than the Hoosiers 335's , imagine what there 315's will do!!! Also, i'm still not convienced the Hoosiers are that good of a street tire. I've heard they are not recommended for Hi-way use.

Users who are viewing this thread