Mickey Mouse shit on my cobra

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
bought an 03 Cobra w/ 52K on the clock, 10k on an MMR 900 shortblock and there is some mickey mouse stuff on this car.

first off the coolant hose is blocked off.

cobra2.png

i emailed him today and this was the reply I got.

That section has to be plugged because I have the Evan's Cooling Remote Thermostat system. When I put it in they did not have all the options they do now: Evans Cooling 03-04 Mustang Cobra Cooling Package w/Oil Cooler [LP-EvansCoolingB] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
so I had to use a different oil filter relocation and cooler. They also did not have a plug available for the coolant crossover tube.

The rear mufflers are rubbing against the diff housing and the frame rails, there's zippy ties on the lower control arms holding some type of bracket (looks like 2 rectangles with a cross piece).

the rear sway bar isn't installed. the subframe connector welds look like shit, and look like they weren't welded in the right spots (need to come to the left a few inches).

he has an oil cooler kit that moved the oil filter down behind the driver foglight (which explains why the foglights are missing).

the valve covers were painted black, not prepped right, and are peeling/flaking and look like ass. The coil covers were done in silver and they look like crap too.

the blower looks ok, but there is some paint peeling as well.

pulleys need to be replaced, as does the serpentine belt.

it has a piece of shit Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, and today when I was out and about I kept missing shifts left and right (i'm buying an MGW asap).

there is a set of wires and a fuse coming out from the drivers side bottom of the center console I can't figure out what they go to.

he has polyurethane bushings in the entire rearend, and it's a live axle from an 02 gt. It squeaks and rattles like a rusted out pos.

Pro 3i lower adjustable weight jacker control arms
Steeda Double Adjustable Upper control arms
Ford B Springs in the rear
H&R Race springs in the front

He's got the battery mounted in the trunk with a Moroso kit (it's going back up front where it belongs.

rear 3rd brakelight LED is cracked in 2 places.

front struts are leaking and going bad (will be replacing shocks and struts with Bilsteins.)

front header panel is busted on the passenger side where the top part of the bumper mounts to it, so that needs to be replaced

chin spoiler is all tore up to hell.

scratches galore in the paint (im sure most of them will buff out with a nice claybar, and buff job).

he put Sony 3-way speakers in the front doors, and they are popping and cutting in and out (probably because they aren't the right speakers in the first place!).

mostly it's just minor shit that can be fixed and replaced, and will take a little time to make it right, but very aggravating. Car doesn't overheat, and runs good, but I don't like mickey mouse shit on my cars.

anyways, I need part #'s for the following

• Stock 03/04 Oil Cooler, fittings, adapters, lines etc
  • Positive/Negative Battery Cables
  • Stock Thermostat Housing & Thermostat
  • Coolant Hoses for the 03/04 cobra
  • what battery to run for the 03/04 cobra?
  • stock clutch cable

to start getting this shit replaced and back to as near of stock configuration as possible.

It has a morpheus (never heard of 'em) cai that runs into the fender, it's coming off, because I picked up a stock air intake elbow and adapter plate today, just need to run up and get a K&N Air Filter for it from the parts store.

he's got some street wires amp kit in it. the high beams don't work (looks like it has HID's but I don't think they are hooked up, and if it's a single beam kit then that explains why the high beams don't work.

Spec Stage 3 clutch with a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. Clutch cable sheath is split, so it needs to be replaced. It has a firewall adjuster. I really don't like this Spec Stage 3. I need a recommendation for a clutch that feels like stock but can handle 500+. I like tension/play in my clutch pedal, not press it down a 1/2" and it's on the floor.

This car needs some TLC, but it's not too bad. I just need to get pointed in the right direction.

if i can think of anything else, I will post it up, but that's all I can think of for now.

greengt88

Established Member
glad i bought a stock one!! do yourself a favor and get the Maximum Motorsports Clutch Cable/ Quadrant and Firewall adj. Top notch, simple install. also get the LDC freeplay mod. Not sure on the clutch, i need one myself and i'm undecided on what to get. Metco for the idlers, get the double bearings. also get a Reische performance 170* thermostat when you do all that business, also get frsh coolant and 2 bottles of Redline water wetter. Probably an Optima battery, red or yellow is fine, whatever fits. i have a red one. 3rd brake light--look on Ebay there's a few. Some cooling parts as well just search 03-04 mustang cobra-then auctions only. i have all steeda rear suspension parts in mine foxbody-polyurethane everything and its silent. look in the market place on here, you'll find what you need.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
thanks greentgt88. im still getting familiar with these cars.

you have any links for the pulleys?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Don't buy a used car from Mickey Mouse :??:

You pretty much just don't mess with him at all

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOwptKaiQM"]YouTube- Mickey Mouse beats up Joe Jonas[/ame]

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
thanks greentgt88. im still getting familiar with these cars.

you have any links for the pulleys?

Metco is the most durable way to go for the pulley since they are hard anodized belt surfaces.

Double bearing not necessary, but nice.

2003-2004 Mustang Cobra Parts: Metco Motorsports

Or you can purchase through Lethal.

I'd also suggest you consider the Steeda Quickrelease quadrant and MM Pedal Height adjuster; combined with the Fiore micro-click quadrant.

MM LCA's and SFC's are also a great way to go for a street car.

If you need a rear sway bar, I have a friend with a brand-new, never installed '01 Bullitt rear bar here:

[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9592131#post9592131]For Sale Bullit springs & sway bar - Corral Forums[/ame]

For all your stock/oem parts needs, contact Steve or Mike R. @ Tousley Ford (cost +10%) 1-800-328-9552

Best intake: www.jlttruecoldair.com Jay @ JLT can set you up. Good parts; good folks; good service.

Clutch-wise; the Spec 3+ is known for being good; I'm running a Ram 98951HD-T (T deonotes Tremec/26spline)...which...if the car doesn't have it you might as well put one in while you're there doing the clutch.

Liberty Gear is where I got mine: http://www.libertysgears.com/ Just call them or D&D Transmission.

:beer:

As far as the rear end popping; the Pro3i Arms are ok; but if they haven't been greased...check 'em for play. Pro3I is Mark @ Stangnet.

If the Upper arms are double adj. Steeda units; make sure they're indeed poly units and not spherical rod ends. Sphericals will pound you on the street.

Nothing wrong with the battery in the passenger rear (where it belongs for drag use). Just make sure the wires are run safely.

For the springs; B springs should be ok rate-wise.

If you decide to pull the valve covers; might as well get them powdercoated. Contact Kyle @ Action Powdercoating (supporting vendor here). They do great work; got mine done in black crinkle. http://www.albuquerquepowdercoating.com/

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
ok seriously, im asking for help to this fixed. not smart ass replies.

Nah gotta have a little of both to keep things entertaining :beer: :lol:

It is aggravating to go behind and fix someone's mistakes and oddly/poorly done work though. :bored:

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Nah gotta have a little of both to keep things entertaining :beer: :lol:

It is aggravating to go behind and fix someone's mistakes and oddly/poorly done work though. :bored:

yeah I know, but this was the only cobra I could afford, and he told me all the stuff when i bought it. i traded another car and parts + cash for it, otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

so i have to live with the flaws until they get fixed, and i'm just trying to get pointed in the right direction with some part #'s. she'll be back in tip top shape before no time!

thanks for the help. :beer:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Keep reading; I edited my post a couple times.

BTW, it appears you have a Reichard Racing ultra-grip upper with bare/clear anod. Billetflow idlers right now along with a Gatorback belt.

Some of the Reichard pulley's were noted for eating belts if you weren't careful about alignment.

Metco hard anod. idlers will last longer as far as the pulley surface wear goes.

Gates Green Stripe belts also tend to be a little tougher than the Goodyear Gatorback.

Last edited:

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Reichard Racing 2.75 upper.

is there a chart that has the pulley identification? I'd like to know which pulleys are which and learn how to identify them by sight.

im new to the world of 4V's, so im in uncharted territory here.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Reichard Racing 2.75 upper.

is there a chart that has the pulley identification? I'd like to know which pulleys are which and learn how to identify them by sight.

im new to the world of 4V's, so im in uncharted territory here.

Ummm...not really.

Jim makes good stuff though.

Reichard Racing

Doug @ Billetflow; good company but Doug is a grumpy old man (haha) :D

Supercharger Pulleys
Idler Bracket

Aaron @ Metco: 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra Parts: Metco Motorsports

(Get the Metco tensioner support plate while you're there...or a Reichard tensioner...but the latter is pricey).

Stay away from RPM Outlet. Do not do business with them. Ever. LFP/Lightning Force Performance runs a close second to them.

Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs ....Matt/Jared...pretty much a 1-stop shop :beer:

If the car doesn't have one, get a larger heat exchanger ASAP.

You're also sitting there with a Stiegemeier ported supercharger (note logo badge @ front of case on top).
http://www.stiegemeier.com/0304cobra.html

Would be nice if prior owner knew when it was done and how many miles were on it when installed. Steg. does good work.

Last edited:

venom04svt

Established Member
yeah I know, but this was the only cobra I could afford, and he told me all the stuff when i bought it. i traded another car and parts + cash for it, otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

so i have to live with the flaws until they get fixed, and i'm just trying to get pointed in the right direction with some part #'s. she'll be back in tip top shape before no time!

thanks for the help. :beer:

Seems he was upfront about everything that was done so you knew EXACTLY what you were getting, then made a thread bashing what you got? That is a lil dumb... but hey you got yourself a cobra, for what you could afford.. fix it to the way you want lil by lil and enjoy it..

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Sounds like a fun project car, fixing all the little things.......Use that search feature here on SVTP and you'll get the info you seek!

Dane

Established Member
Why not leave the battery kit in the trunk? Help a little with weight in the front end and leave room for aftermarket parts if needed. Are you trying to return the car to stock?

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Seems he was upfront about everything that was done so you knew EXACTLY what you were getting, then made a thread bashing what you got? That is a lil dumb... but hey you got yourself a cobra, for what you could afford.. fix it to the way you want lil by lil and enjoy it..

yes I knew exactly what was I getting, but no not bashing by any means, and like ya said just trying to get her fixed up the way I want. :beer:

Why not leave the battery kit in the trunk? Help a little with weight in the front end and leave room for aftermarket parts if needed. Are you trying to return the car to stock?

just like the battery up front. :coolman:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Ebay purchase..If I had seen that in person Im pretty sure I wouldnt have bought it, unless the price was RIGHT. I would check with Tousley Ford for the stock replacement stuff...GL.

yellow03vert

Established Member

+1 I would not move the battery because there are several benefits to having it in the trunk. I also suggest Tousley and Lethal to get the parts you need both are great people to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread