Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs Michelin Pilot A/S 3s in Warm Weather

YELL03

Established Member
For my 50th birthday I am getting a new set of rims for my Daily Driver 2011 GT500 Convertible making around 600rwhp after the TVS swap.

It currently runs 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot A/S 3s out back which are GREAT tires in any weather.

When Spring comes, I was thinking of swapping to Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the warmer weather, Spring & Summer and using the A/S 3s for the cooler months.

Would the Super Sports provided better traction in warmer weather than the A/S 3s, talking straight line traction of course?

The rims I am leaning towards are 19x9.5" SVE drifts which weigh about 26lb each, about 5lbs lighter than stock I believe.

blackvette101

Established Member
For my 50th birthday I am getting a new set of rims for my Daily Driver 2011 GT500 Convertible making around 600rwhp after the TVS swap.

It currently runs 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot A/S 3s out back which are GREAT tires in any weather.

When Spring comes, I was thinking of swapping to Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the warmer weather, Spring & Summer and using the A/S 3s for the cooler months.

Would the Super Sports provided better traction in warmer weather than the A/S 3s, talking straight line traction of course?

The rims I am leaning towards are 19x9.5" SVE drifts which weigh about 26lb each, about 5lbs lighter than stock I believe.

yes they will but at your power level it will still not hook. I would look at a street/strip tire that can still be driven in the rain and will last 10k miles like the Nitto NT555R but you need 18's or 20's to run that.

YELL03

Established Member
yes they will but at your power level it will still not hook. I would look at a street/strip tire that can still be driven in the rain and will last 10k miles like the Nitto NT555R but you need 18's or 20's to run that.

I've researched this for numerous hours, I don't think the risk of running a DR on my daily driver is worth it, I don't track the car.

I just need the car to hook in 2nd, that is why I don't add any more power than what it has by pullying down along with a TB and cai.

I might do a 65mm TB, but that would be about it.

I am not sure 18s would look good either?

mr 347

Established Member
I've researched this for numerous hours, I don't think the risk of running a DR on my daily driver is worth it, I don't track the car.

I just need the car to hook in 2nd, that is why I don't add any more power than what it has by pullying down along with a TB and cai.

I might do a 65mm TB, but that would be about it.

I am not sure 18s would look good either?
what is the risk of running a DR? I put some MT on my 88 years ago, and it was like I gained 100 HP lol

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I've got about the same hp as you to the wheels with the NT555R drag radials and I can still break them loose....so I don't thing any normal tire out there will help you. I don't dd mine though. Note though that is under hard acceleration....and really getting on it. Normal some what spirited driving I'm good.

YELL03

Established Member
I've got about the same hp as you to the wheels with the NT555R drag radials and I can still break them loose....so I don't thing any normal tire out there will help you. I don't dd mine though. Note though that is under hard acceleration....and really getting on it. Normal some what spirited driving I'm good.

Thanks for the info....

I think I will just stick with my Pilot A/S 3s and maybe grab 2 extra rims with DRs for those weekends when I want to have a little fun.

Here is the new question....

I am going to get SVE Drifts in 19x9.5 and mount my A/S 3s on them for daily driving.

Should I get 2 more in 19x9.5 and try to cram a 305/35/19 MT DR or NT05R in it, both really need a 10" rim or should I get 2 18x10 SVE rims and go with a 18" DR out back?

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Not quite sure how to answer that question....other than I'm thinking your choices for tires are better on 18 and 20 and less on 19 if I recall right. You may want to check that first which may help decide which way to go.

I do think getting a spare set with DR's on them is a good idea. Easy on off swap for those days when you want to really get on it but, regular set for just up and down the road.

I can last on DR's for awhile....may car sees less than 4k miles a year...probably more like 3k miles a year. 10k mile tire last a long time that way..LOL!

YELL03

Established Member
Not quite sure how to answer that question....other than I'm thinking your choices for tires are better on 18 and 20 and less on 19 if I recall right. You may want to check that first which may help decide which way to go.

I do think getting a spare set with DR's on them is a good idea. Easy on off swap for those days when you want to really get on it but, regular set for just up and down the road.

I can last on DR's for awhile....may car sees less than 4k miles a year...probably more like 3k miles a year. 10k mile tire last a long time that way..LOL!

I would love to get the SVE in 18s, but I think they might look small on my car?
The tire diameter would be the same between a 285/40/18 and a 285/35/19 for example, but I don't know if it will look odd on my car.

Here is a pic with the stock 19s:

168_zps3c4bfd77.jpg

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Yeah I had those same wheels on my car. Personally I'd never go 18's but, that's just me. I agree they would look odd on the car. I love my 20's.....but, the 19's also look good on it.

Nice looking car!

YELL03

Established Member
Yeah I had those same wheels on my car. Personally I'd never go 18's but, that's just me. I agree they would look odd on the car. I love my 20's.....but, the 19's also look good on it.

Nice looking car!

thanks...

here is a car like mine with 19x9.5 sve drifts

December2013sve006_zps153d2e6f.jpg

168_zps3c4bfd77.jpg

Last edited:

Sirraf

Established Member
I wish the SVEs were in 20x10 for the rear. That would be sweet.

fullboogie

Established Member
555R DR's are perfectly fine in the rain - they handle like every other tire. Where people run into trouble is letting the tread get down to nothing, then they have a 12" wide slick to hydroplane all over the place - which is no different than any other tire. Don't let all the talk scare you.

SCCA SM

Established Member
i had the super sports.. they hook 1 more gear than the goodyears did (my goodyears spun first and second anytime, the supersports only spun in first)

YELL03

Established Member
I wish the SVEs were in 20x10 for the rear. That would be sweet.

I am not a huge fan of 20s, I am actually thinking of goinh with another Drift style rim with 19x10 out back so I can fit a 305/35/19

555R DR's are perfectly fine in the rain - they handle like every other tire. Where people run into trouble is letting the tread get down to nothing, then they have a 12" wide slick to hydroplane all over the place - which is no different than any other tire. Don't let all the talk scare you.

Good point, but since they are only 6/32 to start with it won't take long to get that way.

i had the super sports.. they hook 1 more gear than the goodyears did (my goodyears spun first and second anytime, the supersports only spun in first)

If I could hook in 2nd I'd be happy.

I only have about 600rwhp, I don't see how people run any more on the street. It is great for bragging rights, but on street tires I can't see handling much more?

Now if it was a street/strip car, that is different, but for street only I don't need any more.
Well maybe a TB for another 20rwhp:-D

raceme2

Established Member
I have put 2,500 miles on my AS-3`s in the last 30 days. I drove in 30 degree temps in moderate rain to 90 degree temps in that time. I have never ridden or driven any car with the Super Sports. The one difference that I have noticed between the F1`s and the AS-3`s is that the AS-3`s don't feel as firm in lively cornering. No other complaints about the AS-3`s

Users who are viewing this thread