Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 + VS Michelin Pilot Super Sport

efurlong

Established Member
I attempted to search these tires with no luck...sorry if this has already been discussed. I have a 2013 GT500 Vert, with around 14k miles. The stock Goodyears need to be replaced. My Shelby is mostly stock, with the exception of 373 gears, FRPP resonator eliminator, FRPP 65mm throttle body, & FRPP lowering springs. I live in New England (short season), don't drive in the rain, I don't track the car. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ & the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Has anybody here used the A/S 3+ ? What is your opinion of them? Thanks in advance.

Ablaze

Established Member
I'm finally bringing my 2014 out as the weather is breaking here. Maryland gets all 4 seasons so I went ahead and put the A/S 3s on order. I did a lot of reading, across multiple forums, and they all cite the A/S 3s have the grip of the MPSS but will wear out very quickly on the road course. That was pretty much the only significant difference I gathered. I wanted to run the R888s in the rear and just keep the fronts but I don't want to garage her 'early' this year when the temperatures are in the 40s but the roads and skies are perfectly clear. If I had warm weather all year it would be the R888s all day.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The forum search function leaves a lot to be desired. Google does a much better job in identifying the many threads on this topic.

I run MPSS on my Shelby and we run A/S 3 on my wife's BMW. IMO, both are great tires. Based on the driving habits you describe, I recommend going with MPSS. If you decide to drive on anything but warm dry roads, A/S 3 will likely serve you better.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I put A/S 3's on my 13 and I love them. I had been leaning towards the MPSS's but it was almost impossible to get a full set. They were always out of stock. One day I get an e-mail from my local tire shop and they were running a holiday special and the deals included Michelin, I call up and ask about the MPSS and they could get the fronts but not the rears. He suggested the A/S 3 and told me they could get a set in 2 days. Two days later my car was sporting A/S 3's. I was so glad to see the GY's go that I didn't even bitch about the 168 mph speed rating on the A/S 3. Now I can actually pass someone and not have to worry about the rear end stepping out. I guess I will just have to get my adrenaline fix someplace else.
I live in Central California along the coast so I can't address snow or rain, but they do work in the semi-cold (38-60) deg.
275-40-19 & 285-35-20.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I run MPSS, 275/30R20 fronts & 305/35R20 rear. As posted above, they can be out of stock at times of the year. I just got a slashing flat on the highway on my front, had to wait 3 weeks to get one 275/30, there were plenty of 275/35's, so size matters - go figure. If you've been running stock rubber for that many miles, going to either tire will be an improvement, but IMO the MPSS is the best non-R compound tire I've run on the street & I've found it to do very well in rain as well, and it lasts quite well. I've used them also on previous Vipers as an upgrade from PS2's. I now run Corsa-R's on the new Viper, which are amaze balls, if they made those in a size I could run on the snake, they'd be on the GT500. Bottom line, no wrong choice, but since you're asking, MPSS FTW.

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I put the MPSS on mine last summer. 275/40/19 fronts and 295/35/20 rears. I have a different wheel/tire setup for winter storage as well as stretching my driving in colder weather. I don't know where you are in MA but I got my set at Route 10 Tire in Granby, CT. I have had them install tires on mine as well as my daughters cars and they are great to work with.

Pete

Mlarv

2013 Shelby GT500
Established Member
I put a set of the AS3 on my 13 last year. The stock GY and MPSS where all out of stock just about every where. I am in OH and now can drive well into Nov and start back up in March when the salt is off the roads. I got mine at Discount Tire. They handle better and get better traction in the rain or on cold days. I DD mine as long as I can and it is not storming or snowing.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
As an extra tip, I work with Roger at Tire Rack. Even when online and all sources on the internet and local report out of stock, he manages to find a tire somewhere in the world and ship it the next day for delivery. I highly recommend working with him as a source for tires. He could've easily taken me for 2 tires to replace my fronts since everyone said out of stock on the size I needed for my flat, but he told me to hang on and found a replacement in the size I needed, he sold me 1 tire instead of 2, but locked a customer for life.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
AS3s came on the 2014 I bought. I'm in Florida, so I would think the MPSS would be a better choice since I don't drive in the rain. But I'm pretty happy with the AS3s. Still have to feather the pedal 2nd gear and 3rd for the most part. I don't bother with 1st too much :/

liter of cola

Established Member
AS3s came on the 2014 I bought. I'm in Florida, so I would think the MPSS would be a better choice since I don't drive in the rain. But I'm pretty happy with the AS3s. Still have to feather the pedal 2nd gear and 3rd for the most part. I don't bother with 1st too much :/

you need some nt05r's for the rear and nt05's for the front... that's the optimal dry warm weather setup. or at least nt05's all around. they clear more water and last longer than r888's. besides I view the r888 as a tuner car tire.

anyways, if I was op i'd go with mpss's rather than the as/3's. A friend of mine has mpss's 305/35/19 on his 714whp 15' 5.0 m6 and they have great traction even in 40 degree weather.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Established Member
Are people still having the wobble issue with the mpss or is that a thing of the past?

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Can't say I've ever had a wobble with MPSSs, I've probably run 4 sets over the years, but that's not much data there.

Ablaze

Established Member
I don't have any personal experience with them on my GT500 and I'm not interested in making any drama, quite the opposite, genuinely interested as the MPSS were on my list and spring is back but after that long thread we had I went ahead to put in for the A/S 3+

phil123

Established Member
Never had it in stock sizes. Have had MPSS in back as well as R888's. R888's launch way better and still a great road track tire unlike drag radial such as NT05R's.

Marc

Established Member
I have and new set, never mounted Michellin Pilot Sport AS/3, 285/35/20. If you were local I would sell toy for $450.00 which is a pretty good deal.

CriticalmassZ

Ford has quoted me a really decent price on The A/S 3+ tires for my Mustang GT Premium With Brembo package.

I have the Goodyears now and after 2 1/2 years while their tread depth is still usable, they are starting to crack around edges of the tire (I DD this car even in 30 degree weather. I just won't drive in snow or slush. I call out on those days).

Problem is, the treadwear rating is 220 and from everything I am hearing, even from Corvette guys (c5 through c7) These new A / S 3+ are as close as you will get to the Super Sports, with much longer life. A lot of guys are switching to them and are pleased with the performance and longevity.

One reason why I like the Goodyears is they protect a bit from curb rash, if you have them, then you know they have a lip that sticks out a bit around the wheel to help stop it.

I also worry that the sidewalls won't be as stiff (reduced cornering ability). I discovered this issue with a set of Continental DW's, The Sidewalls were soft and I lost too much in the way of cornering to suit my tastes.

The Goodyears probably have the worst treadwear rating even for a summer performance tire. And let's face it. Even in 100 degree heat, I can break them loose all day long.

So back to the Sidewalls, are they softer? Will cornering ability be lost? I was a year too late for the Boss 302 But I had all of the suspension upgraded on the GT to boss components without losing any warranty (bonus when you pay in cash and have the work done at the dealership).

The Tail of the Dragon and many other twisty roads that mostly only locals know about are extremely fun to drive around here.

Beercules

Established Member
I have as3+'s on my Shelby. GF has DWS's on her sti. I like both, but different cars so can't direct compare.

Lateral stability is much better on my as3's than the mickey Thompsons I had in the rear, but the mt's were also a size taller. I had to slow down for off ramps with mt's, I don't with as3's.

The DWS's ride a lot better than blizzaks, so the DWS have softer sidewalls. (She really needs softer shocks).

FYI, I have a friend with a Camaro. Driving on summer tires on a curvy road in dry freezing weather, posted speed. Summer tires lost traction, he slid into a tree. It wasn't too fast because he just had to fix a big dent in the side, but the lesson is.... get those summer tires off below 40 degrees!

spectreman

Established Member
I've got AS3's on my '09 GT500, prolly about 1500m on them now. FL driver too & the car is my daily driver. So far, I'm liking them better than the OEM Goodyears. We'll see come rainy season.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread