Michelin Pilot A/S 3s in Front & MPSS Rear - Safe?

YELL03

Established Member
OK, I've got my rim situation figured out, but now there is another dilemma.

I gave my son my stock 19x9.5" rims with the stock GY F1s.

Unfortunately the fronts are beat and the rears will soon follow.

I currently have Michelin A/S 3s on my 19" rims, also stock sizes (255/40/19 front & 285/35/19 rear).

What I want to do is order 2 more 255/40/19 Michlin A/S 3s and give my son my rear 285/35/19s in the spring. For now he will have the Michelins in front and the GYs out back,
He will take his car to college and I want him to have cold weather traction and bad weather capability in case he gets caught on the way home to visit.

I will still have my Michelin A/S 3s on the front of my car, but for the spring, summer, and fall I would like to put MPSS 295/35/19s in back.

Will this be OK.

I used to run DRs out back with regular radials out front and that was OK, so I can't see this being worse.

Then next winter I will buy 2 more A/S 3s for the rear of my car and both cars will be safe daily drivers.

Thoughts???

GT500washedampsunnypics113_zpsd6277c19.jpg

YELL03

Established Member
you will be fine. Now him having the goodyears out back....idk bout that

He is only at 300rwhp.

We took his car out yesterday, about 42 degrees, his car hooked better with the 285/35/19s GYs than it did with his 235/50/18 Pirelli All-seasons.

I told him under 40 degrees that won't be the case.

In the spring I will give him my A/S 3s for the rear and he will ahve a matching set and I will run the MPSS out back until the winter.

YELL03

Established Member
After some research I found it is not safe to run Brand new front tires with used rear tires, the tire place wouldn't even mount them.
Local to me I found two used Goodyear F1 supercars with the same tread depth as the rears, this will hold him until next winter or until the spring if I get 4 new Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Last edited:

once bitten

GY F1 are crappy. I was told the technology is outdated. They work great when its 90 degrees but otherwise they are like driving on ice. I suggest Michelin Pilot Super SPorts

YELL03

Established Member
GY F1 are crappy. I was told the technology is outdated. They work great when its 90 degrees but otherwise they are like driving on ice. I suggest Michelin Pilot Super SPorts

For my son's car they are great for spring and summer, in the fall I will give him my A/S 3s.

You will b fine.

I'll probably get the MPSS 295/35/19 rears and then after my son takes my A/S3s in the fall I will get the 255/40/19 fronts to match

Users who are viewing this thread