Michael Shiavo offered 1 million for Terri's life, tells buisinessman to shove it

PonyXpress

WTF is wrong with this guy?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43259
LIFE AND DEATH TUG OF WAR
Michael Schiavo
rejects $1 million
Businessman had offered cash
to give up guardianship of wife
Posted: March 11, 2005
5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Michael Schiavo rejected an offer of $1 million to give up guardianship of his brain-damaged wife – an attempt by a California businessman to save her from court-ordered starvation set to begin next Friday.

George Felos, attorney for the estranged husband, called the offer "offensive," and said other offers, including one for $10 million, already had been made and rejected.

"Michael has said over and over again that this case is not about money for him," Felos said, according to the Associated Press. "It's about carrying out his wife's wishes. There is no amount of money anyone can offer that will cause him to turn his back on his wife."

Those caring for Terri Schiavo are scheduled to remove her feeding tube March 18 – for the third time in the last few years – unless a court-approved alternative is found. Michael Schiavo won a court order in 2000 to have her feeding tube removed, claiming she had said she wouldn't want to live in such a condition. Parents Robert and Mary Schindler, however, insist she has demonstrated a strong will to live, and they have filed a flurry of motions to prevent the tube's removal – to no avail.

The businessman, Robert Herring Sr., founder of electronics firm HERCO Technology and founder of WEALTHTV, secured the services of celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred and announced the million-dollar offer at a press conference yesterday.

"[Terri's] situation has deeply moved and distressed our client Mr. Herring who has been observing the case in the media, as millions of others have, for about a year," Allred told reporters.

"He recognizes that unless something is done immediately, Terri Schiavo is not likely to survive very long after March 18. Knowing that time is of the essence and realizing that he is fortunate enough to be able to help, he has decided to take action."

In a statement, the Schindlers said it was "with tremendous surprise" that they learned yesterday of the offer.

"Written words can simply not express the gratitude our family now feels for Mr. Herring and his most generous offer to save the life of our dear daughter and sister, Terri Schiavo," the statement said.

The family said, however, they were not at all surprised that Felos, known for advocacy of the "right-to-die" cause, will not allow Michael Schiavo "to entertain the offer."

"It seems to us that the case law has become far more important to Mr. Felos than making any attempt to mediate the matter outside of the courts," the Schindlers said.

"It also seems clear to our family that Mr. Schiavo has neither the inclination to discuss the matter with our family – as we have proposed previously – nor the desire to move on with his own life with his new family," they contined, referring to Schiavo's two children with fiance Jodi Centonze, with whom he has been living for 10 years.

"After he has denied Terri therapy for so many years and denied our family any opportunity to help her, we can only come to the conclusion that he is not comfortable with the prospects of her regaining her abilities to speak and communicate to us the reasons for her condition."

Terri Schiavo collapsed under disputed circumstances in 1990, suffering severe brain damage when her heart stopped momentarily. Michael Schiavo attributes the collapse to an eating disorder, but the Schindlers suspect he tried to strangle their daughter and contend that while mentally handicapped, she recognizes people and responds to stimuli.

"Clearly, Terri's situation has touched the hearts of many people," the Schindlers said. "Mr. Herring's generous offer is surely one of the most incredible we've seen, but it is also illustrative of how good people can not sit idle when a grave injustice such as this is taking place."

Herring, a believer in the promise of stem-cell research, said he thinks if Terri is kept alive, her condition could improve.

"After viewing video of Terri on television, I came to the belief that there was hope for her," Herring said. "As events have proceeded in the legal battle, it became clear to me that if something was not done for Terri, that all hope for her would be lost. …

"I believe very strongly that there are medical advances happening around the globe that very shortly could have a positive impact on Terri's condition. I have seen miraculous recoveries occur through the use of stem cells in patients suffering a variety of conditions."

Herring says he is not affiliated with any group but simply "a private individual who is looking to bring hope to Terri's family."

Court documents and other information are posted on the Schindler family website.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Only speculating here. But if your wife told you she didn't want to live like a giant warm carrot would you?
1. carry out her last wish regardless how much someone tried to pay you to ignore it. Pull the plug.
2. take the money since carrots don't care anyway! Take the cash.

The only other thing I can think is he has a bigger life insurance policy, if not then maybe he is sincere?

PonyXpress

DaleM said:
Only speculating here. But if your wife told you she didn't want to live like a giant warm carrot would you?
1. carry out her last wish regardless how much someone tried to pay you to ignore it. Pull the plug.
2. take the money since carrots don't care anyway! Take the cash.

The only other thing I can think is he has a bigger life insurance policy, if not then maybe he is sincere?

First, Terri never had never made statements to anyone else indicating that she would want to be euthanized, and with the suspicion around her accident, it's perfectly possible that he's simply lying.

Second, there are eyewitnesses (outside her family) that have given sworn testimony that she is not brain dead, and has shown recovery in the past. Infact, here's her site:http://www.terrisfight.org/ complete with videos of her clearly responding to the people around her. She is not a vegetable.

Third, it's questionable whether Micheal Shiavo's actions ie shaggin up with another woman and having 2 kids could constitute legal abandonment, rendering gaurdianship back to her family.

And fourth, She is not dependent on any other life support than the feeding tube.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Maniac Mechanic said:
First, Terri never had never made statements to anyone else indicating that she would want to be euthanized, and with the suspicion around her accident, it's perfectly possible that he's simply lying..
Then again he may not, what other motivation does he have to give up a million dollar offer. If you are basing you argument on this then I think I must give him the benefit of the doubt. Be real, my wife doesn't tell everyone she swallows. I guess this lady talked to everyone about her private commitiments to her hubby?

Maniac Mechanic said:
Second, there are eyewitnesses (outside her family) that have given sworn testimony that she is not brain dead, and has shown recovery in the past. Infact, here's her site:http://www.terrisfight.org/ complete with videos of her clearly responding to the people around her. She is not a vegetable.
At least I can get some use of a vegetable, instead of a trophy of personal greed. As hardcore as some opponents are to this issue would they be lying or is it just easier to think the hubby is lying to support your own view?

Maniac Mechanic said:
Third, it's questionable whether Micheal Shiavo's actions ie shaggin up with another woman and having 2 kids could constitute legal abandonment, rendering gaurdianship back to her family.
I think she would forgive him afterall this time and I think the law has been on this guys side if it were not for the greedy family and extremists and I'm sure some genuinely concerned folks wanting to prolong this agonizing situation.

Maniac Mechanic said:
And fourth, She is not dependent on any other life support than the feeding tube.
So she could just get up and walk away? It's like comma with protein?
Just the feeding tube...kind of like the root to a plant. Personally I think the guy should take the money and let her family wilt away with the joy of watching their daughter drool over herself, get her ass wiped by every male nurse in FL, have the press report her progress as she has done so well over the years.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
believe me when i say this...there can be no money left from any life insurance policy(ies) that may be in effect/ think about all the legal costs and nursing home costs over the last 15 years :eek:

And i dont know about you guys and your families but my parents and grandparents all make it very clear as do i, that IF anything were to happen DO NOT PUT ME ON LIFE SUPPORT let me fuggin die. Everything happens for a reason. I as well as all of my family are frim believers that #1: when your born God writes your name in a book, #2: It is also written next to that the day you are going to Die.

dougwg

Established Member
Maniac Mechanic said:
First, Terri never had never made statements to anyone else indicating that she would want to be euthanized, and with the suspicion around her accident, it's perfectly possible that he's simply lying.

not going to get all deep in this one but

I have told my Wife things that I have not told anyone else.

Why? Because she is MY WIFE!

we don't have all the facts except what the media tells us... so basically it's non of our business

dougwg

Established Member
sometimes you just have to let go.... it's a shitty situation that I don't wish on anyone

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
dougwg said:
not going to get all deep in this one but

I have told my Wife things that I have not told anyone else.

Why? Because she is MY WIFE!

we don't have all the facts except what the media tells us... so basically it's non of our business

Smartest thing posted on the net in a long time.

:beer: Vegas

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I sure as hell wouldn't want to live like her, and if she's totally aware, I think she's trying to convey that SHE WANTS TO DIE. The parents are having a hard time letting go.

ssssnake

Established Member
I don't think this picture conveys a vegetable that wants to die. Taken last year.

terri.gif

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
ssssnake said:
I don't think this picture conveys a vegetable that wants to die. Taken last year.

terri.gif

I bet God is pretty pissed then. If anyone believes in this heaven thing then let her go. Do you really believe she is living a better life her.
As far as the picture, it conveys a dead woman being reanimated for someone elses selfishness. Personally, she's gone and anyone that get's someting out of that picture would get some positive meaning out of a plane crash.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
ssssnake said:

terri.gif

Do you think she has any idea what is going on? Not only that, but if she is that aware that she can sit up and understand someone was there, they would not need a feeding tube for her. She's in a comatose state, and even if I was a retard I wouldn't want to live. Venturing into the unknown is better than being imprisioned for eternity.

Users who are viewing this thread