MHS Cams

Marvin9075

Established Member
So on the fence right now of keeping my 3.0 whipple set up or going with a twin turbo kit … if keeping the whipple I want cams as the next mod.:. Was looking at the MHS stage 4 blower cams … my car currently makes 760 rwhp and 670 rwtq on 24 psi … this is a stock motor with 23k on it and street driven … just curious if anyone has run these with a 3.0 whipple and what gains to expect as well as drivability and idle… car is on E85 and I plan to drop a pulley size to spin the blower a little harder and hopefully hit close to my goal of high mid to high 800s

96dreamer

Established Member
I would get custom cams from Todd Warren/ Apocalypse performance before getting an off the shelf set. There isn't much of a cost difference

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Sounds like a fun project. Will you be doing it yourself? Are you pulling the motor? Are you going to swap valve springs?

I went with Comp Cams XER Stage 3 in mine and degreed the cams myself per the cam cards. It was a pretty cool journey, and turned out pretty darn good. When I got the car back to gether I told my self I would never do it again....that was 3 years ago.

I feel in the back of my mind I may do it again one day and switch to a custom set to see if I pick up any power. With head studs, a good exaust, after market ecu, correct fuel system you probably get 900+

Marvin9075

Established Member
Sounds like a fun project. Will you be doing it yourself? Are you pulling the motor? Are you going to swap valve springs?

I went with Comp Cams XER Stage 3 in mine and degreed the cams myself per the cam cards. It was a pretty cool journey, and turned out pretty darn good. When I got the car back to gether I told my self I would never do it again....that was 3 years ago.

I feel in the back of my mind I may do it again one day and switch to a custom set to see if I pick up any power. With head studs, a good exaust, after market ecu, correct fuel system you probably get 900+
I’ll be having a performance shop here in north Texas doing the work … car has ms3 , arp head studs , long tubes and off road x with a return system running e85

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Not sure what the wait time is these days, but when I ordered custom cams it took just under a year to get them. COVID supply issues and what not.

Just something to keep in mind.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have custom cams in my car. My buddy got MHS stage 3’s I think and the cam cards are very similar to mine. I would have no hesitation running MHS cams. In the end, nearly all cams are comp cams with different grinds. There are only so many variables they change, custom or not. The price is a wash.

Cams are good for 20-50 hp depending on how aggressive you go. Not the end of the world. They are 90% about sound only.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Not sure what the wait time is these days, but when I ordered custom cams it took just under a year to get them. COVID supply issues and what not.

Just something to keep in mind.
Yup not won’t wait a year that’s for sure

Marvin9075

Established Member
I have custom cams in my car. My buddy got MHS stage 3’s I think and the cam cards are very similar to mine. I would have no hesitation running MHS cams. In the end, nearly all cams are comp cams with different grinds. There are only so many variables they change, custom or not. The price is a wash.

Cams are good for 20-50 hp depending on how aggressive you go. Not the end of the world. They are 90% about sound only.
Yeah the sound is a plus … hoping with cams and cranking up the boost I’ll get that 900 mark … If customs cams have a long back ordered I’ll end up going the MHS cams

Users who are viewing this thread