Mgw Shifter Rattle

cobravenom99

Established Member
hey, a few months ago i installed an Mgw shifter in my 99 cobra. Now when driving it rattles and can be pretty noticeable at times. The more gas i give the car it gets louder. Although when i put my hand on the shift knob the rattling noise goes away. If any one has any ideas on what could be wrong or if its normal, would be greatly appreciated, thanks. (btw i have a hurst ball shifter knob on the MGW)

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Is this a metal on metal rattle, or something else? I know on mine (I also have an MGW and a '99 Cobra), the plastic trim that you pop on and off to access the shifter assembly doesn't fit as tightly as I am sure it did 10 years ago. It doesn't rattle or anything, but it's not a snug fit.

All I can think of.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
I don't have an MGW... but after awhile the bolts that hold the stick to the shifter backed out a little and it rattled. I put it back together with a dab of loctite and it's been silent ever since.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I don't have an MGW... but after awhile the bolts that hold the stick to the shifter backed out a little and it rattled. I put it back together with a dab of loctite and it's been silent ever since.

Same deal with my tri ax.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I think that rattle has to do with something in the shift stops not adjusted correctly, my B&M Ripper Shifter did the rattling noise so i took it of and put the stocker back in and didnt do it again.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
90% of solid shifters are going to have a buzz or rattle to it. You can either run a thicker bead of silicone or one of Cobra Bob's gaskets.

Every shifter I’ve had (hurst, Pro5.0, and MGW) have buzzed….I only say 90% because there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think Steeda also has some rubber bushings that you can put where you bolt the handle to the shifter which might help as well.

cobravenom99

Established Member
i have a cobra bob gasket on it, but may i add that i did not use any thread locker on ANY of the bolts, and the cobra bob gaskets came with two gaskets, one that goes on the base of the shifter that sits against the trans, and then it came with a small gasket with two holes, but i did not use that one. Could not using the small gasket and/or not using thread locker be causing it to rattle, cause maybe something is loose?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
If you have an MGW, you don't need to use the smaller gasket, there is no place for it b/c of the way the shift handle attaches to the shifter body. I also have the Cobra Bob gasket and am not experiencing any rattling or vibrations, not sure in your case. Good luck though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Take the boot off and make sure all the bolts are tight. I took the shift stops out of my shifter so I don't have to worry about them loosening.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
The internal stops on a 3650 are interesting to me because I definitely moved something in my tranny last summer on a hard 2-3 shift.

It feels like you can push the shifter further into the 3rd gear gate and not as far into the 4th gear gate. I would imagine without taking the tranny apart that i bent a shift fork a little but not enough to cause any damage because it's been fine ever since, just feels a little different.

Anyway, I adjusted my shift stops and left them in the shifter housing.

Users who are viewing this thread