MGW Shifter Installed!

Montanasvt

Established Member
Well I finally got my MGW shifter installed after I ordered it a couple months ago. Not only did I get it installed, but I was able to take it to MGW to get it installed by the creator/designer!!! I am only about an hour away so the drive was definitely worth it. It literally only took him 45 minutes by the time my car was put on the lift. That includes him taking the time to talk to me about his design, put up with his other employees in the shop, and us rambling on about other topics including cars. He said he had just shipped out 200 this week so I know a lot of others on here will be getting theirs to, but I just wanted to post up my experience with it thus far.

Pros:

* Definitely an awesome increase in the feel of the shift. So much smoother, and you know without a doubt that your car is in gear. No guessing like you would be with the weak stock shifter.
* The 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift and 4-5 shift has been improved tremendously! Most of my shifters I have had in the past made by MGW have had a pretty heavy spring loaded shifter to make the 2-3 straight up, but this shifter is by far his best design/accomplishment with that. It is a perfectly straight up shift no matter how hard/fast you shift. I also like how he made the 4-5 shift just a straight 45 degree angle shift. This is going to work well with the guys that have 3.73's or higher at the track going into 5th.
*Reverse: There is no guessing now whether or not you are in 1st or Reverse. He made it where you pull the shifter over to first, then pull down. As soon as you push down it engages very smoothly.

Cons:
* It definitely made the whining transmission a good bit louder. I don't think because its hurting the transmission, but rather the material the shifter is made out of. His shifter completely does away with the entire stock setup and replaces the cheap thin metal and plastic components with his own high quality metal and stiff bushings. I just think because of this is transmits the noise a little easier.

Overall this shifter is amazing. I am putting Redline MTL in it in the near future. Hopefully this will improve the shifting even more.\

40525095.jpg

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
A local member was kind enough to meet up and let me drive his with a MGW shifter installed. You hit the nail on the head with your write up.
Unfortunately the transmitting noise you speak of as a con is what turned me off from buying one. I can live with a so-so(trash) stock shifter vs paying money for that type of noise. Im not knocking this piece or design whatsoever, they provide nothing but quality materials and parts from what i experienced/saw.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
I didn't really notice an increase in whine after installing mine, but I put the heat shield in as well.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I can't wait to upgrade the factory shifter in my '12 GT. IMO Ford should upgrade it free of charge.

Hey Ford, if you can hear me, the factory shifter in my 5.0 is the biggest piece of shit I have ever used. Gear grinding, won't shift into 2nd or 4th on occasion, reverse is a bitch to find, WTF were you guys thinking?

Montanasvt

Established Member
I can't wait to upgrade the factory shifter in my '12 GT. IMO Ford should upgrade it free of charge.

Hey Ford, if you can hear me, the factory shifter in my 5.0 is the biggest piece of shit I have ever used. Gear grinding, won't shift into 2nd or 4th on occasion, reverse is a bitch to find, WTF were you guys thinking?

I agree with you 100%. Order you a MGW...itll be worth the wait.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Eh, I have the barton bracket + redline MTL and could not be happier. Aftermarket shifters are just way to notchy for my tastes on these cars.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I've had one for a while and I came up with a silence pack of my own to control the noise transmitted from the transmission to the cabin. It takes a little bit of extra dynamat or equivalent, but it works great.

kingnut

Established Member
Its an option when you buy the shifter.

If you go to the shifter page on mgw's site, its one of the drop down options for ordering

im surprised the OP didnt get a heat shield installed considering he was at the manufacture for the install. also if there is added noise you would think MGW would have a silencing kit for sale.

Last edited:

Montanasvt

Established Member
im surprised the OP didnt get a heat shield installed considering he was at the manufacture for the install. also if there is added noise you would think MGW would have a silencing kit for sale.

yea I probably should have... just being cheap right now...modding on a strict budget right now until I get my first few checks in. I just graduated college and started a new job. Only get paid once a month. Nice checks, but gotta wait a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread