MGW Shifter Install Question

bossvt

Established Member
I just finished installation of the shifter, but suspect I made a mistake. When I removed the original shifter, I could not find a plastic cup that was referred to in the instructions. So I assumed my car didn't have one.

There is a bit of slop in the shifter, so I suspect I may have lost it somehow.

If you replaced your shifter, did you have this plastic cup that covers the ball of the shifter?

If I lost it, could it have fallen into the transmission?

Thanks for your help

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
bossvt said:
I just finished installation of the shifter, but suspect I made a mistake. When I removed the original shifter, I could not find a plastic cup that was referred to in the instructions. So I assumed my car didn't have one.

If you replaced your shifter, did you have this plastic cup that covers the ball of the shifter?

Thanks for your help

Yes! it should have a plastic piece that the shifter ball fits into and yes it could be in the tranny. The good thing is if it feel in the tranny you'll find it and it won't hurt anything falling into that section of the tranny!

Tim

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
bossvt said:

Thanks for your help

I am guessing that you did look on the bottom of the stock shifter. Right?

bossvt

Established Member
I did check the bottom of the old shifter. I'll take it apart again and see if I can find it inside the transmission.

Thanks for the quick answers!

bossvt

Established Member
After taking a second look, I see the "dampener" is right where it is supposed to be. Thanks for the link to 50resto.com, that allowed me to see a picture of this part and now I'm convinced everything was correct.

:-D

CY98Cobra

Established Member
so was the slop in your mind? i cant move my mgw at all, absolutely no slop. my tri ax would move side to side a bit when in gear but the mgw wont.

Users who are viewing this thread