MGW Shifter and RXT Installed

fmylife

Established Member
Wow...I've my '08 for just over two years now and while the stock shifter wasn't a problem, I never realized how much of a POS it was until I had the MGW installed today. Unbelievable difference in quality of shifts now!!

The RXT, while it catches quite low to the floor, feels amazing. Grabs solid unlike the stock clutch which shuddered bad, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

If any of you may be on the fence about either of these....just do it!! It feels like I'm driving a different car almost. Funny thing is, the engine sounds different when cranking now...not sure what about the new clutch has caused it though.

TheGovernment

Established Member
The RXT is awesome. I did the same upgrade to my 08 last year. RXT and MGW . The worst part is the 500 mile break in... urgh. I was leaving 100 foot strips once after mile 499 LOL

Fang

Established Member
That MGW is a piece of art compared to stock. Shifting isn't even a comparison between the two. Good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmylife

Established Member
That MGW is a piece of art compared to stock. Shifting isn't even a comparison between the two. Good choice

Yes it is!! The installer said it was a bit more involved than he expected but it's totally worth it.

barspen

Established Member
Thanks for posting...Getting ready to install my MGW2 this weekend. Great to hear more positive feedback. My stock shifter is upgraded (bushing kit, Hurst lever and sans-rubber gasket), so I'm interested to feel the difference. Bone stock was a POS.

As for the RXT, I'm on the fence after upgrading last Thanksgiving when my TOB blew out. I like the RXT for the road course and weekend cruises, but its not 'friendly' in rush hour traffic or heavy city driving. Its very 'deliberate' in the engagement. I get chatter in first gear and some vibration on occasion at slow speed (in traffic). Plus, mine grabs SUPER high on the clutch pedal.

Lots of folks don't DD their GT500 (or have to deal with heavy stop-&-go traffic), so the RXT might be fine. I like the RXT on some days...on other days, it's a bit much.

Last edited:

fmylife

Established Member
Interesting hearing that yours catches at the top of the pedal...mine is just barely off the floor after working it a bit since yesterday. No chatter or noise today, even when creeping in the drive through at Chick Fil A!

This is my DD and wouldn't have it any other way :D

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Congrats man! My clutch engagement is just a little down from top. With my short ass legs im not complaining but im glad yours is set where you want it.

It really is a night and day difference in shifting! I really feel bad for the engineer that was forced to design the factory shifter.

Id leave it off my resume if i were that person.

Barspen, truly sorry i never got a chance to get my car out here and get you in it to try out the MGW. But i am extremely happy you decided to get one. I know youll be extremely happy with it!

barspen

Established Member
Barspen, truly sorry i never got a chance to get my car out here and get you in it to try out the MGW. But i am extremely happy you decided to get one. I know youll be extremely happy with it!

No worries! With so much positive feedback, I felt it was worth a shot. Plus, I haven't done many mod in the last year, so the MGW made the short list. Need to wrap up any projects before we hit triple digits in the desert :)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I hear that. My car is still in San Diego getting AC work done before i bring it in hehe

Joewee500

Established Member
MGW and RXT here too. The RXT has some chatter with light throttle and trying to slip the clutch on starts. Mine engages close to the bottom half of the pedal but full engagement doesn't feel like it catches until the top 25% if that makes sense. My 1-2 is still notchy but everything is golden. Only 500 miles since MGW install.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread