MGW owners

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Yea I understand. Honestly regular driving with an MGW takes more effort than a stock shifter and even more than other shifters. I've had a Pro 5.0 and a Steeda.

Honestly I would take the higher regular driving effort of the MGW over those. This shifter feel is awesome when rowing the gears. I never missed 3rd with this shifter.

I even chirped 3rd with it in a anemic 2V GT lol. I also like the fact that you can rotate the handle 360 degrees....the build quality is top notch and felt more solid than the previous two shifters.

I had the MGW in every Mustang that I have owned and when I buy another I will have one again.

If my F-body was a manual I would have an MGW in it as well...

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Yea I understand. Honestly regular driving with an MGW takes more effort than a stock shifter and even more than other shifters. I've had a Pro 5.0 and a Steeda.

Honestly I would take the higher regular driving effort of the MGW over those. This shifter feel is awesome when rowing the gears. I never missed 3rd with this shifter.

I even chirped 3rd with it in a anemic 2V GT lol. I also like the fact that you can rotate the handle 360 degrees....the build quality is top notch and felt more solid than the previous two shifters.

I had the MGW in every Mustang that I have owned and when I buy another I will have one again.

If my F-body was a manual I would have an MGW in it as well...

oh so your saying, its easier to somewhat shift with a stock shifter, it is real notchy with the stock shifter, or is the feel the same with the A/M does it have a some what sloppy feeling to it, is it easy to feel Neutral, cause last time I drove a Termy, Neutral felt like I was in gear it wouldn't go side to side very easy, I literally had to use 2 hands to get into Reverse :lol: how sad, that how stiff that damn tranny is, I remember the guy saying something about the Shifter being stiff, I can't remember if he switch it out or not, but it was hard to shift I know that. I don't think Ive ever felt a stock shifter before in a Termy.

kennycoulter

Established Member
is the shifting problem the stock shifter, or the clutch?
i am debating which aftermarket piece to get first.
but seems when you run the car up to high rpm, that the shifter gets locked out (19,xxx miles and seemed like this since i bought the car)....seems liek the clutch isn't clamping, or everythign is still spinning too fast to let synchros engage.
i changed my fluid to castrol mercon V, told not to use synchromesh.
so, will the shifter fix the problem? is this what the o.p. is referring to?

ModularFan

Established Member
Is it easy to shift the T-56 with a stock shifter compared to a MGW, doesn't the T-56 come stock with a short throw. does the T56 feel like a 3650 or no? when it has a stock shifter, because now that I think about it, the guy had a A/M shifter on it, I believe it was a steeda or something. If I can find a cobra with a stock shifter Ill see how it feels and ill go from there.

kennycoulter

Established Member
Is it easy to shift the T-56 with a stock shifter compared to a MGW, doesn't the T-56 come stock with a short throw. does the T56 feel like a 3650 or no? when it has a stock shifter, because now that I think about it, the guy had a A/M shifter on it, I believe it was a steeda or something. If I can find a cobra with a stock shifter Ill see how it feels and ill go from there.

i traded an 03 mach in on my 03 cobra, both stock handles, and i have not driven an aftermarket handle in either...but the t56 feels a million times more precise than the t-5 or whatever is in the gt's and machs. it seems like the throw is shorter and the lever not as long compared to the t5, but i don't know if it was actually a short throw. ...it is still stamped steel, 2 bolts into rubber with an s shaped handle. maybe one day i could take my 85 gt stuff apart and take side by side pics of the 03 cobra shaft....the old gt seems very similar to the newer trans in shifter feel.

ModularFan

Established Member
i traded an 03 mach in on my 03 cobra, both stock handles, and i have not driven an aftermarket handle in either...but the t56 feels a million times more precise than the t-5 or whatever is in the gt's and machs. it seems like the throw is shorter and the lever not as long compared to the t5, but i don't know if it was actually a short throw. ...it is still stamped steel, 2 bolts into rubber with an s shaped handle. maybe one day i could take my 85 gt stuff apart and take side by side pics of the 03 cobra shaft....the old gt seems very similar to the newer trans in shifter feel.

does the short throw make shifting tighter and take away the play when its in Neutral, if thats the case, I am not getting a Aftermarket shifter.

Steve2050

Established Member
I just ordered an MGW and will be getting it in about 10-12 days. They are back ordered on some parts for the t56 shifter. I'll report back when it's installed.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I had an '03 GT with a stock shifter, then an MGW and the latter was 1000x better. It was fairly stiff, but I got used to it and loved it. Everyone who felt it said it was great and way better than whatever was in their car. That was a T3650.

I've driven an '03 Cobra with an MGW and the shifter was still stiff. It feels stiff in neutral because the centering spring is strong to keep you from missing 3rd. My car now has an '03 Cobra T56, stock shifter, with a shorter handle and it is still notchy. I don't think the reverse lockout is hooked up and I have to smack the shifter sideways to get it in reverse. Doesn't really bother me though. Ordered an MGW for it yesterday so can't wait to get it in and broken in. I'll never own another aftermarket shifter in a mustang.

ModularFan

Established Member
I had an '03 GT with a stock shifter, then an MGW and the latter was 1000x better. It was fairly stiff, but I got used to it and loved it. Everyone who felt it said it was great and way better than whatever was in their car. That was a T3650.

I've driven an '03 Cobra with an MGW and the shifter was still stiff. It feels stiff in neutral because the centering spring is strong to keep you from missing 3rd. My car now has an '03 Cobra T56, stock shifter, with a shorter handle and it is still notchy. I don't think the reverse lockout is hooked up and I have to smack the shifter sideways to get it in reverse. Doesn't really bother me though. Ordered an MGW for it yesterday so can't wait to get it in and broken in. I'll never own another aftermarket shifter in a mustang.

thanks man, So your saying the stiffness isn't much better stock then it is A/M.

I just hate the tranny in these things, your saying the center spring is what makes it feel like its in gear in neutral, I tried hitting 3rd with the A/M shifter in the car and it was hard it just went into Neutral., it was hard to get into reverse as well had to use 2 hands lol.:nonono:.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member

An easy way to check the reverse lockout is to take off your shifter. Looking down into the top of the transmission, you'll see a chamber on the driver's side next to the shifter receiver with a button sticking out. Try to push in that button. It should be difficult to push in. Push in your clutch with the key on then try to push in that button. It should be much easier now. That's your reverse lockout.

I have found that even when it's NOT working, you can still get into reverse, you just have to push much harder on the stick to get that button recessed.

ModularFan

Established Member
Is their a way to adjust the center spring so it doesn't feel like its in gear in Neutral? is their a softer one you can buy? Or I am gonna have to muscle it out with the shifter lol.

ModularFan

Established Member
Is their a way to adjust the center spring so it doesn't feel like its in gear in Neutral? is their a softer one you can buy? Or I am gonna have to muscle it out with the shifter lol.

anyone have an answer to this?

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
Two questions:

Are you sure the clutch is adjsuted properly in whatever you are driving? Becuase it sure doesn;t sound liek it if you are having to use that much muscle to get it into gear... other than a click, mine rows through the gears, in my t56 and my tko600...

Part two to that- If the clutch is adjusted properly, and I don't mean this negatively, btu are you a little scrawny dude? Only asking becuase using too much muscle with a shifter is not a common complaint...

3rd- No other spring options I know of...

Users who are viewing this thread