MGW or Barton

Dadz500

Established Member
Anyone try a Barton and a MGW on a 13'? I had the MGW in my 13' Roush and the Barton in my 13' Boss. I also had the MGW in my 11' Shelby. I really like the Barton but for the Shelby I am not sure which way to go. If any of you have tried both in your 13' please let me know which you liked better and why. Also, if you have the one you didn't like for sale, let me know, I am a buyer.

gkviper192

Established Member
I had an MGW in my '12 Boss and to be honest i was very disappointed. I sat in the owner of Bartons car and gave his shifter a few throws a few weeks ago and man that thing felt like a dream. I can't speak for the MGW for the Shelby, but the Barton seemed to be amazing and is what Evolution and Jon Lund both have in their gt500s. (Not sure what Lethal has.)

Dadz500

Established Member
I had a Barton in my Boss and an MGW in my 11 Shelby and 13 Roush. I just can't decide which I like better. Never tried a Barton in the Shelby so I went ahead and ordered one today to see what it is like. I will let everyone know my impressions when I get it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We're running the Barton shifter and so far it's worked out great for us. It's what we used to propel us into the 9's and approved by our driver, Jeremy Martorella. If it doesn't work for Jeremy we won't run it. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
MGW in my 11 Shelby. Solid, Quiet, and ADJUSTABLE....FULLY ADJUSTABLE.

5 turns and slammin it hard...no problems.

Jroc

Established Member
On a 03 Cobra I always preferred Tri-Ax's and Pro 5.0's to MGW's, but most Terminators will not agree with that.

Still IMO the old school Mustangs shifters is how I would go. Since you've already tried both the Barton and MGW I recommend giving the traditional Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 a shot.

In many ways a STS is a gimmick at least in terms of what people act like they do. You know the whole "I changed my shifter and it made a 180 degree difference, and went from missing third every time, to being impossible to miss third, and went from being crazy notchy to being smooth as butter. Before it shifted like a semi-truck, and now it shifts like a Honda."(say what you want about Honda's just their trannies shift awesome. Integra Type R, and S2000 for example) It doesn't really work like that. If you're looking to really change the shift charactorists of a transmission you're going to have to dig a lot deeper inside it than just the shifter. A shifter will not make a transmission that's inherently notchy, not a notchy, but smooth shifting transmission.

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
I had an MGW in my '12 Boss and to be honest i was very disappointed. I sat in the owner of Bartons car and gave his shifter a few throws a few weeks ago and man that thing felt like a dream. I can't speak for the MGW for the Shelby, but the Barton seemed to be amazing and is what Evolution and Jon Lund both have in their gt500s. (Not sure what Lethal has.)

You do know you are talking about a completely different transmission?

The OP is asking about MGW and Barton on the GT500's Tremec 6060 not the Chinese built MT-82 which are two complete different shifter designs that have nothing in common.

I've owned a MGW equipped GT500 and it was ok (better the stock) but since I never tried out a Barton like didnt reply.

Last edited:

gkviper192

Established Member
You do know you are talking about a completely different transmission?

The OP is asking about MGW and Barton on the GT500's Tremec 6060 not the Chinese built MT-82 which are two complete different shifter designs that have nothing in common.

I've owned a MGW equipped GT500 and it was ok (better the stock) but since I never tried out a Barton like didnt reply.

I've also owned a 2012 gt500 and I know what the stock shifter feels like. I have driven a 2013 gt500 and felt the stock shifter. The barton shifter felt much better than stock in every aspect. The MGW in my boss did not feel better in every aspect compared to stock. The MGW didn't impress me in the boss therefore I won't use it in my 13 shelby. I have had both cars and know that they have different transmissions but thanks for the reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread