MGW Neutral Position

jaan2483

Established Member
So I recently installed an MGW shifter into my Cobra. I noticed that from the neutral position when I move the shifter to the right (towards 5th, 6th, and reverse) when I let go of the handle, it returns with a nice firm clunk under spring pressure. When I move it to the left (towards 1st and 2nd) it does not do the same. It'll move left, but if I let go of the handle, it kind of sits there and slowly returns partly to center before I have to manually move it the rest of the way. For some clarification, I'm not talking about actually being in gear, just from neutral, moving the shifter handle laterally. It shifts through all gears as it should but the fact that it doesn't have the same return on both sides has me a little concerned something is wrong with it.

I emailed MGW and this is what I got in reply...

"The 03-04 cobras have had a pretty common condition where the internal rails have a slight notch in the trans causing the 1-2 to hang a bit. the spring pressure is there its just catching on the rail .

You dont notice is as much with the stock shifter because you move the handle over so far due to the throw being really long .

We have a few options...

we can send you the viper spec springs which are a bit stronger.

but the function of the shifter actually is not compromised in actual shifter because when you come out of 2nd going into 3rd it will miss the notch and spring over.

if you have trouble actually performing a clean shift email us and we can send you the beefier springs."

What do you all suggest I do? Use it as is, or request they send me the viper spec springs that were mentioned?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I say use it as is and see how it feels. It'll loosen up a little from use as well.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I never noticed this condition with my MGW shifter and it's been on the trans for over 13 yrs. I just went and checked it out, just to make sure. It pops right back to neutral from either side. Now, having only 6k miles on the car, may have something to do with it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can vouch for the strength of the Viper springs. Very tight.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Do you think they will address what I am experiencing with my shifter?
They will work.

I have had my shifter for a long time. No issues, and no worries. Right now I am running the comfort handle, but I am about to go back to the shorty race shifter.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
They will work.

I have had my shifter for a long time. No issues, and no worries. Right now I am running the comfort handle, but I am about to go back to the shorty race shifter.

What is this comfort handle? I’ve heard it mentioned it before but I’m probably envisioning something completely different then what it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
What is this comfort handle? I’ve heard it mentioned it before but I’m probably envisioning something completely different then what it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically a handle that is close to factory specs. On the MGW you have an infinite amount of adjustments. This allows me to bring the shifter close to me.

The comfort handle still reduces the throw by 25%, and the shifts are better.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I can't answer the noise question. My trans whines in every gear except 4th. Plus my exhaust is just a little on the loud side.

Sent from your [bath robe] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Just getting new springs did the trick for me. Here is a video I made of my issue - which was it wouldn't move back to center at all once it was pushed to the left (1st and 2nd gear area):

For those that can't watch the video - the issue I had was a broken spring on the driver side. Putting new springs in firmed it all back up like new. The sent me 2 springs, one for the passenger side and another for the driver side - each properly labeled in a small zip lock bag.

MGW told me that these springs tend to last about 50K miles. It was easy to swap them out all in all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread