MGW/mobil 1/JHR review

sftdyna

Established Member
Ok, so I will try and cover this as quickly and as painlessly as possible! I liked my stock shifter, had no issues shifting, but never shifted at very high RPM. That being said I love very tight short throw shifters as I had a Kirban/Callaway in my 2011 Grand Sport and it actually made me drive the car more often so I ordered an MGW from George. I also remember reading how much smoother these tremec's shifted with the Mobil 1 and was advised the JHR clutch hose upgrade was also a good idea. So last week I got every thing together. My wife told me if I insisted on squeezing under my Shelby while on jacks she would provide me with some help and handed me a business card to a real good divorce lawyer!!! So, while on my way to Riverhead Ford to have them install these upgrades, I decided to see how the car would react to high RPM! I ignored my preset 6300 rpm reminder and pushed to 7000! Guess what? Yup I got a grind! So now I figured it was driver error, so I tried it again but this time pulling the shifter closer to my hip and got a grind again! Now I shift very, very fast because, well, it's really the only way I know how to. I was really disappointed Ford hasn't addressed this. When I got to Ford, my tech told me they all grind and the shifter and fluid would take care of it but he felt the clutch line was a waste of time but we put it in anyway. It took us 2.5 hrs to complete the job with no snags at all. He just popped the shifter clips off with a screw driver and didn't understand why so many people had issues with this. I have the track pack so the trans takes 4.1 quarts but I still can't figure out how it circulates through the cooler as my tech couldn't find where it had a pump for this. It also didn't show it on the online manual. Once bled the clutch felt great like it always did and I was off. I wanted to put some miles on everything before I tried ripping a couple 1st-2nd shifts. Well, this morning I headed to the beach and gave it 4 good attempts. I have the shifter set to 5 turns out and its probably 20% shorter then stock but so solid its like hitting an anvil with a sledge! All 4 shifts were rock solid and the ass of the car let go every time for a quick second as the revs never got a chance to fall off. I'm very happy with how everything turned out and love the shifter, so if anyone needs any input, please let me know. So much for trying to make this short.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have the track pack so the trans takes 4.1 quarts but I still can't figure out how it circulates through the cooler as my tech couldn't find where it had a pump for this.

The pump is built into the transmission on Track Pack cars.

All GT500 transmissions castings have a provision for oil cooling, but only the Track Cooling cars get the machining to accept the necessary hose fittings or the oil pump. The pump lives in the bottom front of the gearbox and is driven full-time off a tab on the countershaft. Furthermore the system has no thermostat, so the system is active whenever the engine is running and the clutch pedal is off the floor. Thin synthetic trans fluid means there are no issues with congealing oil on cold days.

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...hassis_development/viewall.html#ixzz2Ve7NA9Ue

Last edited:

Tikigrill

Established Member
OP, can you please provide part numbers? I'm familiar with the shifter but not the fluid or clutch line. Thanks in advance.

sftdyna

Established Member
OP, can you please provide part numbers? I'm familiar with the shifter but not the fluid or clutch line. Thanks in advance.

mobil 1 atf Synthetic which is available almost anywhere, john hock racing hydraulic clucth line. Do a search for the clutch line but i believe revan and lethal have them available. sorry i don't have part #

quick-nick

Established Member
Thanks for the review!

So are you saying it will not grind now when you shift it?
Do you think the clutch line made much of a difference?

sftdyna

Established Member
Thanks for the review!

So are you saying it will not grind now when you shift it?
Do you think the clutch line made much of a difference?

Unfortunately Nick i did all three at once, so its hard to tell. I also had no issues prior to these upgrades, but then again, i never tried ripping off 7000 rpm 1st-2nd shifts so who knows. I will tell you one thing it feels so much nicer now with the MGW shifter. Im not sure but i think with all the sound proofing they supply with the shifter, its actually quieter then stock.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I bought one of these JHR lines too, I will have it installed when I switch shifters eventually.

quick-nick

Established Member
Thanks again for the input...You said you got a grind out of it earlier so I was curious if you have tried it since. It is nice to hear that is still quiet and smooth......

sftdyna

Established Member
Thanks again for the input...You said you got a grind out of it earlier so I was curious if you have tried it since. It is nice to hear that is still quiet and smooth......[/QUOTE
Just the few after the initial install. I'm more of a highway and twistie type so I doubt I will be trying that anytime soon. I have got to assume there wouldn't be a problem just by the way everything feels.

Users who are viewing this thread