MGW Longer Shaft?

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Hi Folks:

I am one of the GT500 transmission haters. I had the MGW Gen I, aluminum bushings, Amsoil, etc. and it was better, but still sucked. Went to the MGW Gen II and it is generally good. However, I have been reading some posts about the longer shifter shaft and was curious to get some other opinions on this one. It is like $15 and George said it would be easy to swap out. So, I will likely give it a try. Just curious to get some Pros/Cons from the group here.

Thanks

colin1966

Established Member
I opted for the longer on my gen2, it's only 1/2" I believe, I did not notice that big a difference.

I would like to try a longer shifter handle, MAYBE 6" longer as in the old Hurst shift handles & it would make the shift quite short.
I am sure George or other have looked at this but never read pros or cons.

Colin

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Mine came with the shorter handle. When I heard about the longer one, I tried it. I went back to the shorter one. It felt more natural to me, but it depends on the length of your arm, the size of your hand, seat position and more.

Steve

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I would like to try a longer shifter handle, MAYBE 6" longer as in the old Hurst shift handles & it would make the shift quite short.
I am sure George or other have looked at this but never read pros or cons.

Colin

A 6" longer handle would make the throw extremely long.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The difference in the two MGW2 handle lengths............

003_zpsmfbeunmy.jpg

Yes Tob, I bought one.

My new Shelby Barton will be stored next to the Shelby Drake for the "Original GT500 Shifters from Shelby Past" discussions.

R

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
"Shape" probably isn't the best way to explain how the length of the shifter can affect the throw. I'll try to explain it using a chart I threw together a while back. It depicts shifter pivot stubs (the portion of the shifter that you would bolt the stick and ball to) that I obtained from gutting factory Ford GT500 shifters. There were four variations that were used between 2007 and 2014.

GT500shifterstubdimensions.jpg

The sphere you see at about the halfway point of each one is the pivot point. For a moment, imagine not bolting a stick to each as if you were going to grab the top of the stub to shift instead. The distance from the center of the sphere to the top is the same on each one. The variable with each one is the distance from the center of the sphere, downward to the center of the pivot at the bottom hole (a rod attaches there that runs forward and connects to the transmission). The longer the span, the faster or shorter the throw when you move the top of the stub.

Bolting a stick to the top of the stub, in essence, extending its length upward, will add mechanical leverage. The longer the length between the sphere and the top of the stick/ball the more mechanical advantage you will have. In addition, you will have to move your hand further (than when you had your hand on the top of the stub) to get the hole at the bottom to move the same amount.

So there's a fine balance, between stick length up top, the length of the lower half of the stub, and the amount of effort you feel comfortable with when trying to execute a shift. The TR6060 doesn't favor throws much shorter than stock as it becomes rather notchy and can downright reject a shift at high rpm if done quicker than the synchros will allow.

colin1966

Established Member
Tob,
you my friend have given this WAY more thought that I ever could & much appreciated.

So question,
say 6" longer shifter lever with a dog leg like the old Hurst would that not give the trans a bit more time to shift & maybe making the shift cleaner?
I dont doubt your finding & this may have been beat to death.

(I have the gen2 & used the gen 1 in both my 09's)
Colin

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dog leg, curly-Q, squiggle.....none of that matters. A straight line drawn from the center of the sphere to your hand gives you the relevant length.

The longer that dimension is, the more mechanical advantage you will have. If handspeed was constant, the longer stick would take longer to impart a change from one gear to another. As you've intimated in your question, yes (in the context of the typical "grind" seen when trying to execute a fast shift at high rpm), the potential for a cleaner shift as well.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys - I am on a stock clutch. Car has 22k miles and never been tracked/raced. My primary issue with the tranny was the 1-2 grind, which is now famous - yet - still denied by Ford... The MGW Gen II has largely resolved the 1-2 grind, but I still just don't care for the "feel" of this transmission. Regardless, sounds like the longer shaft really won't do much for me, but for $15 I may give it a try anyway..... not sure, I can not mess with it again until after the holidays regardless.

avgt500

Established Member
I have the hurst pistol grip shifter on mine, the shift handle itself is about 4" high, but the only reason I got it was the linelock button is on top, out of my way when shifting, the side benefit is with the pos shift of our trannys it gives me a better feel going gear to gear.
P.S. the MGW II is worlds better then the stock but it still don't shift like a toploader, especially 1/2 shift.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Doc, I'm using the longer shaft in mine. I currently have two longer shafts(07-09 & 10+) and the shorter one that was originally sent. I found the extra length although small gave me more leverage and took most of the odd engagement away going into 2nd. Since then I've added a 07-09 Knob, instead of the cueball and it seems to have improved the "feel" even better. On the street beating on it, I rarely now miss the 1-2 shift or get lockout/grind. I will be going to the track this Saturday, I'll report back my results.

Users who are viewing this thread