MGW break in?

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
about how long does it take to break in the MGW, I just put mine in tonight and while it does feel better then stock how long till the stiffness goes away?

TMoney

Established Member
ive never had a shifter that DIDNT have to be broken in by a few weeks of driving.

then give it a few weeks? :shrug: I've never heard anything about breaking in a shifter though.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
No break in, jsut go bang the hit outta it.

Although, it will become smoother over the use of it.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I installed mine then went to the track the next night LOL...so much for break in haha. But yeah, you dont need to break it in, just go out and have fun, itll eventually get rid of the stiffness.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Mine took about a week or so of some good shifter slammin b4 she broke down and said "I'm loosened up now, abuse me...."

You'll wonder how you ever lived without it....MGW FTW!! :-D

lightning101

Banned
I just put mine in and took the triax out. Driving to work today I was doing a hard pull from 2nd to 3rd and went from 2nd to 5th, I hit fifth and car basically stood still, I was like wtf??????? Shifts are a little shorter but the handle is much closer, thats what I need to get used too. lol

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
01 Venom said:
ya I should probably ditch my stock shifter one of these days :)

yea you definately should.. if you do ANY racing. I broke a 3/4 shift fork last year and the trans shop and me had no idea how since i have a short throw on there and the stops were adusted correctly. The most likely conclusion is that the fork was cracked earlier most likely when banging through the gears with the stocker. Def get a short throw

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
another thing, everything i read was the 3650 like the t-56 didnt need the stops, do they?

NOTE:From Tremec dated 03/01
Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All
Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission

Last edited:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
BrookhavenTuner said:
ive never had a shifter that DIDNT have to be broken in by a few weeks of driving.

I've had several Pro 5.0, Hurst shifters. Now the MGW....NONE have required ANY break in at all. :shrug:

Also, like someone said, pull the stops out and toss them...
Both Tremec and MGW advise this...

Users who are viewing this thread