Methanol Injection Question

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I got a complete methanol kit from a freind. I'm wanting to put it on my truck just for the cooling help. I was wondering if it was just put on would it help with cooling the intake charge? Should i get a retune if i'm just useing it for cooling? Is there anything i should know about useing it as far as it hurting the motor if set up incorrectly? Thanks Lil John

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
You'll want to tune it. Get the recommended settings from Snow on ramp up and initial hit. If you have a wideband, you can do it on your own. Run a 70/30 mix of meth/water.... or just buy a few jugs of the extreme low temp WW fluid.

I can get you my settings on the controller if you want them.

cthunder

Established Member
retune it undoubtedly. I have mine hit at 8 psi, but it really depends on how you drive and what boost level you're at to really see gains. The meth does not run all the time, but you can change it to do so. meth is realistically used for upping the timing and still remaining on pump gas.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I was wanting to use it for cooling really. I'm not looking to add timing or try to make more power, just cool off the intake temps. I'm not wanting to push the stock bottom end to much more. The person i got the kit from said thats all he used it for was to bring the temps down. I have a seperate race tune that i run 112 octane on, so that would be the only time i would use the methanol would be at the track.

Last edited:

SVTZEUS

SVT Lightning
Established Member
I have a methanol kit on my L and when I re-tuned my truck with it, it gave me about 28 mor rwhp and about 50 #'s of torque!! So, I suggest you should re tune it and also, make sure all your connectors are properly tied or zip tied! Had a big problem when one of my lines went out on full throttle!

krzemienr

NOS Doesn't Make You Cool
Established Member
if you are only using it for cooling then realistically there's not retune needed IMO. you will see boost loss once the meth kicks in, so mainly because of that you'd want a retune, but if that doesn't bother you, then there's no real need of retuning.... also if you need help on install or set up let me know...

onehundredk

Smashin' Pumpkins
Established Member
if you dont retune youll run way too rich, it might be ok depending on your tune now, but why install a $500 kit, dont tune for say $250, and a total of $750 part blew your motor? its better to retune. tell your tuner to boost the hell out of your car and go enjoy beatin on those cars you lost to before :)

Ralph

Established Member
Repeating what was said above..

Injection methanol = injecting more fuel to your current mixture. Lets say you were running 11.2:1 AFR and inject methanol using a 10gpm nozzle @ 100psi you may be running 9.x:1 AFR's now.... car will not be quite as fast even though you are running cooler intake temps.

Definitely tune and dial in the air fuel mixture and while you're there.... bump the timing up a degree or two if you aren't looking at maxing the newly available octane your car is eating :).

Users who are viewing this thread