Metco lower idler top position.

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys I’ve been running my car with a 4lb lower and metco double bearing pulleys. So after a couple is small pulls for data-logging for tuner my belt shred a rib. But It was working fine for a little maybe couple of miles here and there no noise. So I decided maybe just crap belt so I got another one same size and as soon as I turned on the car it shred them belt. So yes I thought something out of alignment but when I checked it was the wrong belt size. So got a cheap belt from Oreilly just to see how the car acts, well it didn’t seem to shred BUT when I went to log the car anything passed 3,500 you can start hearing a squeal then I tried a wot twice and both times real bad belt slip. I haven’t changed anything from the first couple of runs that the logs were fine before the initial shredding of the belt. Was going to ask any of you move the lower idler next to the 4lb lower onto the top position hole?

mark23svt

Established Member
It’s a thump tensioner I bought used but it moves freely but then again I don’t know if that matters. I just ordered an oem spare and metco brace. But had seen a while back someone talk about moving the lower idler positions and it helped.

Attachments

• B48F34BA-74E4-4769-9A2D-88930B5A2356.jpeg
    B48F34BA-74E4-4769-9A2D-88930B5A2356.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 47

olympic

Established Member
Shredding a rib off the belt is almost always an alignment problem. The only way to check it properly is a laser alignment tool. Gates makes one part# 91075.

mark23svt

Established Member
Shredding a rib off the belt is almost always an alignment problem. The only way to check it properly is a laser alignment tool. Gates makes one part# 91075.
Thanks for the response and yes I checked everything and now rib doesn’t jump I just changed the belt diff brand so weird. So I’m going to try and move the lower idler to the upper position also see if that helps with the tension a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread