Metco Idler Bearing

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
So I was at the track this past Sunday, and it was hot as hell. After the first run, I started hearing a funny noise, and it seemed to be coming from an aftermarket Metco Idler Pulley that goes just beneath and to the right of the blower pulley. It sounded like a metallic vibration, and a stephoscope seemd to indicate the noise WAS coming from the pulley. Also, the motor felt a little sick (but it is OK today.)

So I called Ron at Metco, and he told me there was nothing wrong with it. He said that the bearings are made to expand at 215 degrees. Now this has never happened before, and I've had the thing year.

I pulled the whole assy off today, and it spins freely, but the pulley wobbles about an 1/8th of an inch on the spindle. He said this was also normal.

Any thoughts? Sounds fishy to me, but the way the thing was spinning today, it couldn't have been hurting me any on Sunday, unless the heat really made the bearings take a dump. Is that possible?

oldmodman

Established Member
Is the bearing moving inside the pulley? It should be a tight fit so it can't spin and gall the pulley. If the outside shell of the bearing is tight you should replace the bearing just as a safety measure. A replacement bearing should only cost you a few bucks. A few weeks ago someone posted a picture of their engine after a pulley failed, not a pretty sight.

predator

Established Member
I understand the situation. I think the Metco answer is a little lame. I have some brand new idlers still in the box and figure I will have to replace all the bearings before using them. I installed the first idler and noticed right away the "wobble" just spinning it with my finger. I thought at first that I had not tightened it enough against the bracket. The stock idlers don't wobble. :shrug:

adam

Established Member
This is the stock idler pulley just to the right of the crank pulley.

I had my car parked at a campsite for a weekend and the dust and dirt of course got on my vehicle, when I started it the next day my car was making a funny noise. I drove it about 200 miles home and it quieted down some, but I washed the car to get it all cleaned up. Next time I took the car out got into heavy boost and the bearing in the idler must have seized and it actually locked up and the pressure from the belt tore the idler like a tin can in 2 pieces and totally destroyed my belt in the process not to mention scare the living **** outta me.

I called Ford and the new pulley was 16 bucks and and the new belt 40. I changed it myself cause I have it pullied and didnt want the hassle of them talking about that issue.

I am sure I had just gotten dust and dirt around mine so that didnt help anything but just beware if you really are hearing noises like that.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
it appears the wobbling is between the inside ring and outside ring of the bearing. The inside of the bearing fits tightly on the shaft of the mount, and the outside of the bearing is not moving inside the pulley, so it has to wobble in the middle.

But, right now, in my kitchen table, it spins freely, though it does wobble considerably. I may just leave it off. I didn't notice any belt slip today.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by VITESE
This is the stock idler pulley just to the right of the crank pulley.

I had my car parked at a campsite for a weekend and the dust and dirt of course got on my vehicle, when I started it the next day my car was making a funny noise. I drove it about 200 miles home and it quieted down some, but I washed the car to get it all cleaned up. Next time I took the car out got into heavy boost and the bearing in the idler must have seized and it actually locked up and the pressure from the belt tore the idler like a tin can in 2 pieces and totally destroyed my belt in the process not to mention scare the living **** outta me.

I called Ford and the new pulley was 16 bucks and and the new belt 40. I changed it myself cause I have it pullied and didnt want the hassle of them talking about that issue.

I am sure I had just gotten dust and dirt around mine so that didnt help anything but just beware if you really are hearing noises like that.

you have it backward...

Your bottom STOCK pulley exploded and wipped out your belt, not the other way around

If you do a search on this subject you will find it's a common problem

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
it appears the wobbling is between the inside ring and outside ring of the bearing. The inside of the bearing fits tightly on the shaft of the mount, and the outside of the bearing is not moving inside the pulley, so it has to wobble in the middle.

But, right now, in my kitchen table, it spins freely, though it does wobble considerably. I may just leave it off. I didn't notice any belt slip today.

If it's just a bearing, replace the bearing... everything will be fine

adam

Established Member
DOUGWG -

THATS WHY I STATED "STOCK IDLER PULLEY"ON THE TOP LINE, AND THANK YOU FOR CORRECTING IGNORANCE IN THIS CASE AND I CALLED A FEW LOCAL DEALERS IN THE ST LOUIS AREA AND "NO" IT WAS NOT A COMMON PROBLEM FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD, MAYBE YOU BEING A VENDOR YOU GET PLENTY OF CALLS ON IT THOUGH WHO KNOWS....

coleman

Established Member
VITESE, anything like this:

08250010.JPG

coleman

Established Member
yeah, it happened at 140mph @ Texas World Speedway :lol1:
... idler & belt did not last that long.

wjfawb0

Established Member
My Metco has a little play in the bearing. I had the bearing replaced with a new one from metco only a month after having it. The new bearing did the same thing. I have over 25,000 miles on the aux. idler, no noise or problems. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread