Metco double bearing 90mm idler pulleys slinging grease

ti-force

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've searched around to find info on this without success. Thought I'd posta thread to see if I can get some input. I just got my car together and running, and I installed all new 90mm double bearing Metco pulleys + a 100mm single bearing auxiliary idler pulley. After roughly 70 miles of driving the car I've got blue grease on the inside of all three 90mm, double bearing pulleys. The 100mm auxiliary idler pulley isn't doing this. I've got a 4lb crank pulley, 2.76 blower. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

ti-force

Established Member
Thought I'd share a picture of my setup :)

rps20131028_110011.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
Nice looking setup. From the pic I can only see the aux. idler, but it appears to not have the center bearing cover. Is there a reason you omitted that? I actually bought the Metco specifically because it looked so much cleaner with the machined center cap, which hides the bearings, and I suspect would also prevent some of the grease slinging which you are seeing. I've never had grease on mine, only black belt dust that accumulates over time (along with regular dust from driving).

ti-force

Established Member
Thanks for the compliment. The dust cover is installed on the other 3 pulleys, and I wanted to install it on the auxiliary idler pulley, but I'm using a Steeda bracket (that's what was on the engine when I purchased it) and using that bracketI couldn't use the supplied metco cover and bolt. However, I did order the Metco bracket this morning so I can make use of the cover and bolt, and also so my belt will ride correctly on the auxiliary pulley (at the moment the rear of the belt is nearly off of the back of the pulley).

ti-force

Established Member
Oh and also, the dust covers I installed on the other 3 pulleys doesn't actually seat all the way up. Is that how yours are? So even on the pulleys with the dust cover I still have a slight gap between the cover and face of the pulley and or bearing. Thanks for the help. Also, being sort of a neat freak with my car, I've already wiped the grease off. So unless more grease slings out I don't have a picture of the light blue mess...

Last edited:

ti-force

Established Member
I pulled the belt off to spin each pulley. Each Metco pulley has somer resistance when I spin it. Do the bearings have to break in or something before they spin more freely? A light spin with my hand nets (roughly) 1/4 turn of the pulley.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread