Metco 10 rib setup for the KB

Grover03

Established Member
Apparently the boys at Metco are releasing a 10 rib belt/pulley setup next month. For the KB only. Kit should include new upper/lower/belt.
The thing is, I have just gotten to the point where I have a garage full of 8 rib pulleys and belts. Hello eBay?!?!

Grover03

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
That's interesting news!
But I'm not seeing any belt slip...that would be the only advantage right?

Grover03

Established Member
Yup, that is the only advantage they offered. I suppose it would be good for those running insane amounts of boost.

coleman

Established Member
why not cogs or chain if you're going through all that trouble anyway?

i would have no idea where to get 10 ribbed belts around here anyway.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Richard at Strictly Performance has them already and is about to try them out. I tell you it sure does look real mean.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
why not cogs or chain if you're going through all that trouble anyway?

i would have no idea where to get 10 ribbed belts around here anyway.

A regular belt is just easier on everything mechanically. There still can be slip if something goes wrong.

Gates sells 10 rib belts as well.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
coleman - from what I have heard, a cog system would not work well with our cars since they are street cars. It would put too much stress on the eaton and things would break alot sooner. You want alittle bit of slip, but not enough to loose boost.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
grover - thanks for the heads up though, any idea what it might cost? I can't wait to see some pics.

oldmodman

Established Member
How many KB owners have been having belt slip problems? And how many of those were using Billetflow or AR idlers?

Grover03

Established Member
I had wicked amounts of slip until I went with the Metco lowers (even with the Metco idlers). Amazing what a 1/2" difference in the upper makes with slip.
Metco said they were working directly with Strictly Pro - he was testing the setup so to speak.
He wasn't able to even give an estimated cost.
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of it myself.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
why not do this for the Eaton, as i have heard of far more complaints of belt slip (also due to the large amount of eatons compared to the amount of KBs)

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Call Strictly and see if they will take a picture of that Bad As* yellow Cobra with the 10 rib on for you......713-910-0111

Chill

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by oldmodman
How many KB owners have been having belt slip problems? And how many of those were using Billetflow or AR idlers?
Slip isnt bad at 17psi with the KB, but 19psi pulley and GB belt and it smokes past 5500rpm.

stangin

Established Member
I have no more slip at 23 lbs.. finally, with the 8 lb lower, 3.5 alt pulley, and 3.25 KB upper pulley, BF 100mm idlers and 82.5" gates belt.

I talked to Strictly pro and the setup was either $1200 - $1400 I cant remember which, I almost dropped the phone :)

AMB

Established Member
stangin

Do you use 100mm idlers in all 4 idlers with the 82.5" belt ?? I run the same upper/lower and have belt slip/sredding.

AMB

finally

Established Member
I talked with the Metco guys this past weekend at the Streetcar Nats in Orlando. They said the 03 Cobra kit will be ready by the end of the month. It comes with the whole lower pulley setup along with the alternator, tensioner, blower pulley and all the other ribbed pulleys. It also has a billet plate to strengthen the idler tensioner arm. Aaron and Ron told me it will also have a manual tensioner adjustment for the lower left ribbed idler to make adjustments for belt stretch. He said around $700.00 but was not exactly sure.

stangin

Established Member
Re: stangin

Originally posted by AMB
Do you use 100mm idlers in all 4 idlers with the 82.5" belt ?? I run the same upper/lower and have belt slip/sredding.

AMB

Schreading.. I have killed many a belt before this combo, it would slip on the upper and tear the belts to pieces lol, big huge chunks out of the inside of the belts within 25 miles. So far so good, no belt slip. I had to switch back to the stock idlers.. one of the 100mm BF's were rubbing somewhere on the back of the Metco plate.. just barely, but I started removing them one by one to find out which one was making the noise and wouldnt ya know the last one I pulled off and replaced with the stockers was just barely rubbing.. Dana mentioned putting a washer behind the idler and that should do it, I am putting them back on today.

They are all 100mm except for the one under the S/C.. and the
BF aux idler, it will have to be a 90. I have to order one 90, still have the stock 90 there. I dont want the stockers to let loose on me one day.

I have always had the 100mm on the BF aux wrap idler which is the one that counts anyway and was still tearing up belts, when I finally got it to work is when I used a slightly smaller belt, on the low end of the tensioner. I was using dayco belts, probably not as good but this last one is not slipping. I would use the gates. I got my gates yesterday and will have the rest of 100's back on after work today. It seems a slightly smaller belt helps, but you should not have to force it on if you know what I mean - seems to me there is a sweet spot - not to big and not to small, but should rest in the lower portion (smaller belt range) of the tensioner.. I mean psyically the upper area or the range while looking at it, twards the smaller belt range, but not all the way .. does that make sense? PM me and I will take a pic later today..

Users who are viewing this thread